What do you really NEED for overlanding

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I spend around 50-60 nights out a year. Mostly solo, mostly remote and the ONLY things you need is what makes YOU comfortable. I carry a lot of stuff to keep me happy but I meet people in the most remote areas with very little and they are comfortable, take on the personal responsibility to handle any issues, and have a great time.

robert

Expedition Leader
... and tunes- you can't forget the road trip music.

Knowledge is your best asset followed by a well maintained vehicle but you still need some equipment. Most ideas have been pretty well covered, I would just add to make sure that you are prepared for possible environmental conditions and have a plan to deal with them accordingly. By that I mean have the clothing and supplies to deal with cold weather if you may encounter it, have a tarp and sun protection clothing/sunscreen in hot weather, etc. Be prepared to wait out a delay if encountered but also the means to walk out if needed. Have signaling equipment.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Good one. ^^
I take my uke.. good company.

To the op, after a few trips out you'll start figuring out what you forgot/need.

Mickey

Lykos

Super Trucker
I've read your question. While I don't have a lot of actual "experience" I have been on the forums a long time. That makes me pretty much an expert.
First thing you'll need is a $3000 roof top tent. Don't get the biggest available. You'll need that roof space for all the pelican boxes and rotopax.
Without them, you'll die.

You'll need a $1500 270 degree awning as well. If you don't have the awning, you'll die.

Don't leave home without ARB lockers. Without them, you'll die.

You'll need a $300 dual burner propane stove, a $1400 fridge and a Skottle. Without them, you'll die.

A sleeping platform designed and built by an engineer is critical. Without that engineer, you'll die.

BF Goodrich 285 70r17 KO2s. Without them, you'll die.

Don't forget the solar array and bank of golf cart batteries. If you run out of power, you'll die.

I hope this helps! Happy adventuring!

But seriously. Like any other back country adventure it can be as complicated or as simple as you make it.
Try not to die.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
My banjo. It helps with my desire to remain secluded.
You're not from around here, are you?
Banjo music attracts rural folk where we camp.

dueling-deliverance-735x413.jpg

Patrollife

Explorer
When I think of overlanding in the true sense of the word, I think of border crossings, language barriers, part sourcing in unfamiliar territory, etc. Most of what the majority of forum members do is 4x4 camping or touring; or wild/primitive camping via our vehicles. I agree that it's easy to get lost in the excitement of all the gear that's out there. I've gone through the motions as well, and where I am currently at is downsizing everything I have and own. I sold my RTT and awning and am now moving toward less-is-more and more options with lesser weight. I decided to change my "overland" gear for backpacking gear mainly because I want more options in camping when I use my vehicle. I want to be able to pull out an 8-person tent that might weigh 20 pounds, but still fits in my my drawer system, with a few comfortable cots when I 4x4 camp at the beach or somewhere with wide open space. Alternatively, I want to be able to pull out a 2-person that weights 2-4 pounds when my objective is to travel light because of the 4x4 trail difficulty and because my desire is to be away from my vehicle more than it is to be reliant on it. So I think like most things, you set your priorities and goals and work toward that.

Riptide

Explorer
I could not agree with this more.

If you can't go off road 5% of the time once a year with nothing but a brand new TRD Tacoma you have problems that gear will never fix.

Roger that. You own one of the most reliable trucks out there, and that is huge. Its what strikes fear in most adventurer's hearts. Will it break, and can I fix it if it does?

It really is about using your head. Your spider senses will tingle when you know you're pushing your limits of common sense. So don't. Or do, but have a plan to undo. People have been getting themselves unstuck with a bottle jack, and piece of plywood, and floor mats for decades.

A bit of first aid kit for those inevitable scrapes, bites, and burns.

Have a way to navigate. Paper maps never fail, and always get a signal, and even the most basic handheld GPS will pinpoint where you are on those maps.

The rest is just camping gear. What does it take to make you comfortable and enjoy the trip?

I always come back to the guy that overlanded in his mildly prepared Mercedes 300 TD 2wd wagon, and had adventures most of us only dream about. That will bring you back to earth, and keep you from being one of the many on this site who spend crazy cash on stuff they will never use for places that they will never go.

Go. Do. And report back.

Lucky j

Explorer
Funny cause for me in the true sence of the word, when I travel accros a boder to a different coumtry, I still have the impression I am car camping (or any other type a transpo), just in an other country. Language barrier is just part of the adventure.

Overland, over water, in the air, are just different way to travel.

Anything else, is just what you decide to bring along. I started back country (no site) camping on motorcycle, still use a lot of the original gear from that time + multi day kayak and backpaking, just got some other that are more comfy cause I had the room and storage to do so. Perso, I never sell any of my camping stuff. That gives me flexibility. Might even carry my 2lbs expedition tent in my rtt trailer, so I have options.

Just get out and have fun.

When I think of overlanding in the true sense of the word, I think of border crossings, language barriers, part sourcing in unfamiliar territory, etc. .

Renshi

I am too lazy to read the whole thread, but WATER is almost always the most overlooked think to carry, It is always worth the weight! Now if I a traveling in an area with plenty of natural bodies of water (lakes, rivers, streams) I carry water purification in iodine and a filter with an extra cartridge. I also refuse to travel the desert without more water than I need and a couple of thick plastic bags which I can use to procure water in various ways.
And Toilet Paper

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94