What do you use for a truck gun?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Gotcha, well I have one sitting in the bottom of the safe. I love the concept, and even the execution isn't too bad but something about it doesn't quite work for me. Just a little too bulky/chunky feeling. I recognize that description makes no sense but it is one of those things that on paper and even in pics I really liked-but once I had one and took it for a spin I realized I'd be happier with a dedicated glock mag build.

I'm intrigued by your dedicated glock mag build. Who does those (reliably) and approx. cost? Thanks.

Ray_G

Explorer
Glock mag AR lowers come in a couple of shades of cost from what I've found.
The one I pictured is a spartan lower from JBO (https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Sp...ine-Compatible-Billet-Lower-p/jb-spartan9.htm), at the time the Spike's 9mm lower wasn't avail and I was bored and didn't want to wait. It is ok in terms of quality.
The higher end of the 9mm game is QC10 (https://www.quartercircle10.com/products/receivers/lower-receivers.html)

As you can see the JBO is ~$130 for the lower alone, with the QC10 being twice that and then some.

I plan on torturing mine in a few weeks to get a feel for the glock mag reliability in that setup to determine my threshold for using it-since this is the truck gun thread, by that I mean explicitly does it meet the criteria I have for that which is cheap enough that I don't care if it gets dinged up and such but still reliable. I don't tend to own safe queens anyway, and used good internals for the lower-the upper is just a cheap test bed quite frankly.
r
Ray

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Glock mag AR lowers come in a couple of shades of cost from what I've found.
The one I pictured is a spartan lower from JBO (https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Sp...ine-Compatible-Billet-Lower-p/jb-spartan9.htm), at the time the Spike's 9mm lower wasn't avail and I was bored and didn't want to wait. It is ok in terms of quality.
The higher end of the 9mm game is QC10 (https://www.quartercircle10.com/products/receivers/lower-receivers.html)

As you can see the JBO is ~$130 for the lower alone, with the QC10 being twice that and then some.

I plan on torturing mine in a few weeks to get a feel for the glock mag reliability in that setup to determine my threshold for using it-since this is the truck gun thread, by that I mean explicitly does it meet the criteria I have for that which is cheap enough that I don't care if it gets dinged up and such but still reliable. I don't tend to own safe queens anyway, and used good internals for the lower-the upper is just a cheap test bed quite frankly.
r
Ray

Thanks for the info. I'll look into them since I like the pistol caliber SBR/SMG's type systems (issued and carried Colt 9 mm M4 type smg and a whole armory of HK systems for 25 years)

I'd be interested in your assessment once you've put it through its paces. Much appreciated. Be safe.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
My backpack/camping gun is also a AR-9, built w a 9mm lower and a 4" barrel. I've been concerned about the knock down power of a 9mm round so I built a 5.56 with a slightly longer barrel of 10.5". We don't have Grizzley Bears so we should be ok, plus they look cool LoL

JakeH

Adventurer
Interesting article on TTAG yesterday about building one of those mossberg shockwave jobs in 12g as an RV gun for tight encounters. I haven't tried one, or ever really had a truck gun, but that seems like a good candidate if you want more than a pistol.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Thanks for the info. I'll look into them since I like the pistol caliber SBR/SMG's type systems (issued and carried Colt 9 mm M4 type smg and a whole armory of HK systems for 25 years)

I'd be interested in your assessment once you've put it through its paces. Much appreciated. Be safe.
You might want to check out the Rock River 5.56 pistol . A very small package. I used to be issued a Colt SMG and it was terrible. Huge for a SMG and not reliable. They lasted about a year before they were pulled.

Attachments

• IMG_20190222_203045655.jpg
    IMG_20190222_203045655.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20190222_203101706 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190222_203101706 (1).jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 79

Ray_G

Explorer
b4ea66c93b805b89a9e357d9a69c901d.jpg

Took the two projects out today for some fun.

Verdict:
300BLK is a good handy weapon with decent power at short range, will likely suppress it and play with the optic setup, but not much to report here other than it works.

Glock mag AR pistol was the real test bunny today, several hundred rounds through it by me and my eldest. No significant issues. Minor gripes; lack of LRBHO is annoying but not so much that it detracts from the utility of it in the truck. All told I'm going to continue to thrash it at every chance but view it as a nice supplement to the G19 beside it that is easily to transport.
13f4be7aa5ebc5167a087db3f384b854.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

another_mike

Adventurer
Marlin 1895GS in .45-70 with 405 grain cast. Or if I’m in less fugly country Henry BBSC in .357 with either 158 grain SJSP or 180 grain cast. I don’t leave either in the truck when I’m not in it.View attachment 520483

This.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How does that work when you go to the Grocery store? carry it around with you?

I cant imagine any scenario where im driving somewhere and im not going to be away from my vehicle at some point.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Yeah, I’m also a big lever fan. If you haven’t looked at a Henry before, you should check them out. My .357 Big Boy Steel Carbine is smooth like butter, and super accurate. It’s my favorite long gun of all time.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
How does that work when you go to the Grocery store? carry it around with you?

Luckily I don’t feel the need to pack for a trip to the grocery store. If I’m in my truck around town, I don’t bring a gun. There’s no need. As I said in my post, my truck gun is not for 2 legged predators.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles