What Emergency Supplies Do You Keep in Your Vehicle?

ifyoudare

I keep an Aussie Survival Tool which is a Fire Starter, Emergency Signal & Light

I do alot of travelling, in town and in isolated areas. I always take an Aussie Survival Tool. I keep one in every vehicle whether I am driving in town or in the bush. It's a Fire Starter plus an emergency signal and light. You can start a fire anywhere, heaps easily, if you need too, or if you need to signal to emergency services like helicopter or police or roadside assist, ses etc, the spark can be seen from 3 km away. It always provides an emergency torch so you might break down, on a dark night hot night with no shoes and snakes about. You can use it as an emergency torch. Saves glass in the foot or tripping over and when you try to do this with a bic lighter it burns our fingers. I even gave them out as Christmas presents last year, even to my Mum and sister, and everyone loves them. Takes up no room and you should have one in your emergency kit. Very useful item.

I brought all mine from the website, google Aussie Survival Tool or I think it is www.aussiesuvivaltools.com it tells you all about them and has a shop.

Hope this helps.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
I just picked up some of these. They have a little hanger that pops out and a magnet on the back. Not a bad little light for the price... One is going in all the vehicle kits.

Just make sure you replace the RIDICULOUS Chinese batteries with good Energizer/Duracells. The ones they come with WILL blow up and oze and be dead in a few months.

LACamper

Adventurer
Thanks for the tip Explorer! I saw these at HF last week and said I need to pick some up for the camper. Would have sucked to have it ooze over my power converter!

Lets see...
e-tool, ratchet set, other tools, old serpentine belt, fuses, flashlights (5.11 penlight I picked up somewhere, plus a brinkman that takes cr123s that i really like) w/ extra batts, pocket knife (3" spyderco), first aid kit (its an xterra...), compressor, tire plug kit. backpack, spare clothes, lighter, rope, a few biners, old tennis shoes, an old blanket (has come in handy having to change a tire while in nice clothes also). Ratchet straps for loads.
My old AR-7 stays put away in the truck. A few boxes of ammo in whatever caliber I'm carrying (work takes me to some interesting neighborhoods sometimes so what I'm carrying varies. Today was one of those Rem 870 days... rather than just a .45).

verdesardog

Explorer
fuel, 5 gallons, water, 3 gallons, wool blanket, several jackets from heavy Carhart extreme to light rain shell, first aid kits, small tool kit.

Joash

Adventurer
Tools, sleeping bag, Wet wipes, gloves, hats (sun and cold weather), light sticks, trash bags.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
I'm wondering what most of you keep in your vehicles? I'm primarily interested in stuff to keep on board in the city for every day driving, not necessarily for overlanding. I apologize for going slightly off topic.

While cash, a credit card, and a small firearm are probably the most accurate responses for your criteria of urban daily driving, you're seeing that we can't get away from our off-road survival, all of which would serve an urban purpose in the Zombie apocalypse.

Under the rear hatch can be found a recovery and emergency vehicle kit (High Lift kits, snatch line, cables, tie downs, flares, spares), a tool kit (with gloves and a five lb. sledge), a breaker bar, stock jack, a machete, and an emergency mess kit in the Pelican case.

UnderFloor.jpg

The Pelican case holds two Brunton stoves, a JetBoil, fuel, lighter, an MSR water purifier, a small folding aluminum table, and meals for two X 2.

MessKit.jpg

The rear door holds an axe, collapsable shovel, ARB patch kit and deflator, flash light, and a small, break-away first aid kit in a Pelican case.

RearDoor.jpg

FirstAidInt.jpg

At hand in the glove box are two Mini Mag Lights, a pair of headlamps, a Leatherman, knife and GPS.

GloveBox.jpg

Elsewhere on board is an air compressor, extinguisher, a pair of sleeping bag liners, a change of clothes for him and her, and a supply of dog food.

conifers4

Suburban nomad
Well done Imnosaint, the Pelican in the rear "cubby" area is a great idea that I will incorporate in my JK. Thank you for the very useful post.

nb11

-Lighter(s)
-Flashlight
-Leatherman
-Long Snatch Strap
-Light Rope/Chain/Ratchet Straps
-Hi-Lift w/ Lift Mate (hooks on the wheel)
-Foldable Shovel
-1st Aid Kit
-Jumper Cables
-Stock Jack

Most importantly, my fly rod and a few flies :sombrero:

s.e.charles

blame "search" for the thread necromancy!

anyway, I understand we don't all need "code-red" professional disaster equipment, but I honestly think articles like this are doing the 'sport' a dis-service: http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/2012/10/making-your-own-emergency-roadside-ki/

how much can you depend on $100 worth of gear? better than nothing, sure. but someone starting out can be led into dire straights by following this purported sage advice.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
how much can you depend on $100 worth of gear? better than nothing, sure. but someone starting out can be led into dire straights by following this purported sage advice.
Actually the more I go offroad the more I realize that all I need is about $100 for the survival basics. About 99.9% of my massive offroad survival gear has gone unused in the last 2 decades. And much of it is perishable over time and is now dried up and worthless anyway. Even when I was part of big offroad convoys none of us wanted to do rebuilds on the trail. We'd just kludge together something to get the vehicle home out of simple cheap junk and have a shop do the full repairs.

Location and situation is a big factor. All my offroading happens in the continental US where it's actually difficult to get to an area where a rescue truck is so far away you'll die of exposure before help comes. If I ever have a break down that $100 of tool kit and gear can't fix I can use a satellite communicator to have a friend come out with any specialized tools and help me out within 24-48 hours. And that's only because I don't want to pay the $1000 towing fee to have a professional get me out the same day as my breakdown.

When I was in a vehicle maintenance unit in the Army nobody carried much gear. And it was literally our job to fix vehicles. The tool kit in a HMMWV isnt much more than a tire iron, shovel, axe, and mattock. We had specialized tool trucks and wreckers that would dispatch if anything worse happened because to be prepared for everything you won't have any room for anything else. That's kind of the situation I'm moving more and more towards. Basic kit for simple repairs, but if it's a massive issue call in the big guns to extract you instead of doing half-a$$ed temp repairs that may contribute to long term issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94