What have you broken/replaced on your overweight Tacoma?

shade

In the end its braking ability that seems to have Taco owners move up to heavier full sized options. Mods add weight too. Except the engine and brakes don’t really get upsized with the weight.
I'm not sure how frequently braking performance motivates a move to a full size truck, but one of the reasons I prefer the Off-Road model or others with A-TRAC is the brake system. Once I dumped the horrible BFG Rugged Trail tyres, my truck definitely braked better in all conditions.

I haven't weighed my truck down with steel armor, I don't run huge tyres, and I use trailer brakes if I tow anything of size, so I don't believe I've exceeded the truck's capacity. I can see how doing otherwise could push the brakes too hard, though.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I had my brakes fade pretty bad once pulling a U-Haul on the back side of Vail Pass. I don't normally tow anything, don't have a trailer and never really have. But I do know how to drive in the mountains. The brakes I think on my truck are sufficient for me, not pushing the weigh, don't rally the sucker like I want it secretly to be a WRX. But there's not a lot of margin either.

shade

I had my brakes fade pretty bad once pulling a U-Haul on the back side of Vail Pass. I don't normally tow anything, don't have a trailer and never really have. But I do know how to drive in the mountains. The brakes I think on my truck are sufficient for me, not pushing the weigh, don't rally the sucker like I want it secretly to be a WRX. But there's not a lot of margin either.
That's the main reason I despise U-Haul trailers. Relying on someone else for such a critical inspection doesn't make me comfortable. Since they use surge brakes, you can't easily check their effectiveness like you can by using manual control with electric brakes. I recently used one of their trailers for a long move, and found a completely flat tyre after they'd just inspected it. I guess the trailer brakes were adjusted and worked properly, but I wasn't very confident about them.

Watt maker

Yeah, I try not to be overweight too Dave . . . hasn't worked that well on either the truck or my middle:rolleyes: Thanks for the info. Clearly the bearings are an issue for all of us. Not too bad of a list for 95K. Is there anything you wish you'd pro-actively done/replaced at around 60/70K to future proof?

My '09Tacoma has an open space on the P side between the firewall and the air intake assembly, which is where I put my 2nd battery, so luckily, no fender issues. Do you have that space open? I've seen pics of some 2nd gens with what looks like hard brake lines? sitting over there -- is that why you doubled up? Had zero problems with the separated setup with an 8ga wire from the IBS separator mounted next to the stock fuse block and routed along the top of the firewall FWIW.

Watt Maker -- I too have a white 4runner but its an '18 SR5, unmodded for except Cooper AT3s and an ARB fridge wiring loom with a (single - 27F) AGM battery. Like the look of your bumper and that hood. May have to black ours out as the glare has been occasionally noticeable. Gonna keep it simpler than the Tacoma, but prolly do the suspension near term, especially if I decide the Tacoma can't support the camper I have in mind and go to a F150 or maybe 250. 4runner is arguably a better platform to build for more serious wheeling if I get a bigger truck that can't go quite as many places.

Anyone else care to play?

Thanks! The suspension was one of the best upgrades to both 4runners. The matte black wrap definitely helps with the glare and it looks decent as well. The bumper is from the now defunct Pelfreybilt company. If you decide to move up to a fullsize truck and your decision is f150 or 250, go 250. The f250/350 is built much more stout and robust and can handle a full time load much better than the f150. I had a 2012 f150 for a while and aside from a lot of electrical and engine issues, I didn't like how it handled loaded heavy or towing, even after upgrading the tires.

dstefan

The f250/350 is built much more stout and robust and can handle a full time load much better than the f150. I had a 2012 f150 for a while and aside from a lot of electrical and engine issues, I didn't like how it handled loaded heavy or towing, even after upgrading the tires.
That’s helpful to hear. I’ve been more focused on the F250 as a possibility due to payload, but struggling with both size and weight. Love the Tacoma and kinda used to going most places I want to in it. Not sure how I’d adjust to the much bigger platform. I keep hearing more and more disturbing things about the F150s especially problems with the new 10 speed.

You happy with the Tundra? My problem is I’m looking for a unicorn truck that goes anywhere and hauls everything!

BajaSurfRig

I used to have a seriously overloaded first gen Tacoma that had lots of miles on dirt and lots of miles on it.

The bed supports began to crack where they attached to the frame at the front (some creative supports solved this by spreading out the load over a greater area of the bed and transferring the weight of the camper to my rock sliders).

I also had a rear wheel bearing go out at 230K (replaced both of them).

DSC_0867 by Matt Sawyer, on Flickr

Other than that truck went places a seriously overweight Tacoma had no business going and was quite reliable.

DSC_0076 by Matt Sawyer, on Flickr

DSC_0143 by Matt Sawyer, on Flickr

DSC_0154 by Matt Sawyer, on Flickr

I now have an F350 and am way under GVWR (but also had to get towed over the border on my last trip south...)

Watt maker

That’s helpful to hear. I’ve been more focused on the F250 as a possibility due to payload, but struggling with both size and weight. Love the Tacoma and kinda used to going most places I want to in it. Not sure how I’d adjust to the much bigger platform. I keep hearing more and more disturbing things about the F150s especially problems with the new 10 speed.

You happy with the Tundra? My problem is I’m looking for a unicorn truck that goes anywhere and hauls everything!

Yes, so far, very happy with the Tundra! I only have about 32k miles on it but I've had zero issues with it. The harder you push the suspension, the better it is. For what I do, it's a good fit.

dstefan

That's a problem it seems for a lot of people. The Tacoma is plenty big to carry essentials but you have to think like a backpacker.
Haha! Totally agree. As a former backpacker I certainly agree that “nothing weighs nothing”! I’ve tried to keep it light, and have succeeded sufficiently up to now while keeping it rugged enough for the typical wheeling we’ve done. Unfortunately at 67 with some minor back issues etc, can’t do the tent thing anymore.

Still looking to keep it light as possible with a pop up. Just not convinced the Tacoma can do it longer term reliably, safely and comfortably enough. But I sure would like to make it work as I really love the truck!

DaveInDenver

Just not convinced the Tacoma can do it longer term reliably, safely and comfortably enough. But I sure would like to make it work as I really love the truck!
I'm outspoken about GVWR and Toyotas, coming from a 1991 XtraCab to my Tacoma and losing around 400 lbs of payload hurt. But I suspect that the Tacoma is as capable of carrying the weight as any other midsize truck despite what the numbers say.

IOW, I don't think it's built any worse than a Ranger, Frontier or Colorado but that perhaps Toyota is more conservative in their ratings. Why, can't say, but I suspect it's that Toyota is balancing marketing against longevity in a constrained system. By that I mean vehicles are highly regulated so the real differences are smaller now than ever and the state of design is such that all the companies have the same FMEA tools, business goals and pool of suppliers.

Everything else, yeah, it's going to wear out faster than a mid-90s Toyota. Those days are gone and I've come to terms with it. So my $0.02 is heed GVWR so figure out a way to stay within it. If 1/2 tons aren't going work for whatever reason (and I get that, I really do) just have to assume you're following the severe duty schedule and expect more maintenance than average.

dstefan

Agree completely with all this ^
IOW … perhaps Toyota is more conservative in their ratings. Why, can't say, but I suspect it's that Toyota is balancing marketing against longevity in a constrained system.
In particular this comment ^ echoes an engineer (non-Toyota) in a thread at Wander the West (I think) who argued that significant safety margins were built in. Reminded me of WLL vs breaking strength. The challenge being, of course, that auto companies won’t tell us the real breaking strengths.

Durability/payload is about 60% of my considerations. Comfort of the combination of truck/camper is the rest.

DaveInDenver

Agree completely with all this ^

In particular this comment ^ echoes an engineer (non-Toyota) in a thread at Wander the West (I think) who argued that significant safety margins were built in. Reminded me of WLL vs breaking strength. The challenge being, of course, that auto companies won’t tell us the real breaking strengths.

Durability/payload is about 60% of my considerations. Comfort of the combination of truck/camper is the rest.
Exactly. My suspicion is that the real design criteria for a Tacoma was closer to 6,000 lbs as far as safety and performance. But since Toyota saw fit to only slap 5,350 lbs on my truck placard that's what I try to stick under. But I'll admit it's a soft limit in my mind and if I end up 50 or 100 lbs over that on the scales I'm not obsessing. It ends up that I'm loaded more or less like I did in my 1991, same 'Nest camper, same pile of junk goes in it camping and I've been a little more selective about what mods I bolted on and have taken off a few unnecessary stock things. In the 1991 I was able to stay under GVWR (which ironically was the same 5,350 lbs) while the larger dimensions, V6 instead of a I4, air bags and all that ate up almost 400 lbs before I ever even started with the Tacoma.

shade

Still looking to keep it light as possible with a pop up. Just not convinced the Tacoma can do it longer term reliably, safely and comfortably enough. But I sure would like to make it work as I really love the truck!
A lot of weight can be saved by using one of the wedge style pop-ups instead of a more traditional pop-up like a FWC. Possibly the lightest of the wedges is the GFC, which weighs under 300 lbs.

SBDuller

I've never bothered to weigh this Tacoma. First time I drove thru Death Valley I banged up the front plastic cover bumper, all four stiff plastic mudflaps, and the plastic flares knocked loose due to the stiff plastic mudflaps. Those items were removed and placed at the dumpsite. this was a 400mile trip and I feel fortunate the Rugged Trail tires held up marvelously. After that I modified.
Currently the rear springs have been done twice due to the Dakar springs not being adequate. All-Pro Expo leafs now and shackle hangers and shackles replaced. the rear frame is very flexi and needs boxing, but my welding buddy does not want to lay on his back and weld above his face, says i need to remove the truck-bed. I have not broke anything in its 44K miles, other than the first plastic body parts. The wheels weigh at least 85lbs. and I consider downsizing, but not much loss there. I like to drive at 2K RPM, and with all the unknown weight, that means I roll at 40-45MPH quite often up hills, but otherwise 55-65 cruises. I can step on the gas and go 70+ but the gas tank empties too quickly. The clam-shell tent camper supposedly weighs under 400lbs, I have a refrigerator full of beer and water to help keep it cold for a small amount of perishables, the steel bumper and swing-gate with spare tire and gas and propane probably weigh near as much as the camper shell. When I open the swing-gate the frame groans. The steel Sliders are great for standing on to help close up the tent top, but I've barely scraped them on rocks, but that first trip did ding the rocker panel, so clearly needed.

Scan-190805-0020.jpg

IMG_0490.JPG

dstefan

A lot of weight can be saved by using one of the wedge style pop-ups instead of a more traditional pop-up like a FWC. Possibly the lightest of the wedges is the GFC, which weighs under 300 lbs.

That is absolutely the only thing I’ve considered on the Tacoma. Looked at/climbed in GFCs, AT Habitat and Summit. They’re all great, but the one I’m closest to pulling the trigger on is the Ovrlnd camper made in Flagstaff. Still, given my current build and weight (450< GVWR not packed), even dropping off a few pounds once I add a 350lb camper shell plus any even light mods and minimal build out ( eg, fridge slide and maybe a kitchen box and some electrical) I’m gonna be over GVWR with packing, food, wife etc., though not terribly.

With some new springs, I wouldn’t be too concerned, but the cramped 5 ft bed (50 qt ARB fridge takes up nearly 20%) and general Tacoma drivability issues (crappy seats, noise, power, fit - I’m 6’2”) make me think about a larger vehicle. When I started the thread, I was close to pulling the trigger and trying to think through what had to be beefed up. Now, I’m partially thinking I might be putting lipstick on a “pig” even though it’s a really, really great pig! ? No offense to Tacoma lovers everywhere, of which I am a big one. Just horses for courses perhaps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz