What is a Chevy G30 4x4 capable of?

derjack

Adventurer
I know it is always is compromise but I am actually trying to check out of what a Chevrolet G30 4x4 (e.g. Pathfinder) is capable of- off the road of course?

I´ve seen what Ford´s E350 are like (Quigley and Ujoint and Conversins with a F350 Coil Frontend)- but this is not my topic here.

Why this?
What I am looking for is a 4x4 van with an (at least possible) Diesel engine (to drive to north Africa/Sahara without fuel issues). It is not mandatory to build a rock crawler but it should have enough suspension travel and clearance for min. 35". Enough room for a double bed, 100l water. My actual rig is very cool but tooo slow (for me) with 3ton weight vs. 100HP :Wow1:

Chevy G Series is a uni-body construction, what makes the rig (in 5,2m length, V8 Gas Engine) roughly 700kg lighter than an E350, which is good! I found a G30 is around 2300-2500kg, more or less empty. But this means it could be weaker also.

A G30 has 6 or seven body-crossmembers that should give enough strength to the body off-road. Although it seems these are not fully welded on but just pointed- right?

I find it very hard to source real technical information about the different models- like brakes or axles. Haven`t these changed through the 80´s until 1996?
- G30 is with a solid front axle if I am right? Which one, have these changed? Chevy went from Dana to OEM right?
- Are GM axles interchangeable with Danas and if- which ones?
- Are GM axles coming from GM trucks and which years/models from?
- Are knuckles interchangeable with e.g. Fords including brakes? There are kingpin and ball joint ones. Ford, Chevy and Dana went on different variants depending on year according to 4x4 pirates article (Dana 60).
- Can a Dana 44 be changed to 60 or is a 60 wider?
- Comments on transfer cases? These are NPxx if I am right. Are there preferred ones?
- Tranny: TH400 is common, is it interchangeable to TH700, due to 4 gears? + a 6.2 with a banks has probably too much torque for the TH350/400.
- Additional tanks for gas and water: There is not much room below the Van if I want to keep clearance. What is standard size and what is possible, maybe OEM?

What conversions are known besides Pathfinder? Any good ideas for upgrades?

derjack

Adventurer
Hi Guys,

come on there should be anyone here who has even had one, or worked on one...

In the meantime I found some info. This is the view from below, should be strong enough for some offroading.
This is a Pathfinder Conversion- I think made with an Dana 44:
IMG_2393.jpg
Steering: This is not an crossover but high steering if I am right. Crossover steering should be the better solution, as far as I understood. And high steering better for a ride with bigger/taller tires.
1208111550b-vi.jpg
Engine Crossmember: Is this the stock version? I read that G-Van Conversions doesn´t have enough room for a solid axle as far as they aren´t lifted very high (more than 6"). According to this picture this is not true.
IMG_2396.jpg
Can anyone tell out of the Diff cover is this is an GM or Dana 44? They are technically more or less the same, as I´ve read, but Dana 44 coming with flat knuckles depending on the source, for high steer.

barefoot boy

Observer
If you do a web search for Pathfinder 4x4 Vans, you will find a guy in Utah that sells parts for Pathfinder vans. He also has quite a bit of the tech info you are searching for on his website. I believe some time on his site will answer a lot of your questions. I also have a G30 Pathfinder that I built from a 2WD G30 and a rusted out Pathfinder G30 used as a parts vehicle. Try the website, and if you have additional questions, post them and I'll try to answer them.

njtacoma

Explorer
I can't speak to the pathfinder, but boulder offroad vans offers a kit to convert the "G" Vans to 4wd. They use stock GM springs and can use Gm axles in the conversion.

They replace the engine crossmember with an entirely new assembly in order to make everything fit.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Hi Guys,

This is a Pathfinder Conversion- I think made with an Dana 44:
View attachment 187504
Steering: This is not an crossover but high steering if I am right. Crossover steering should be the better solution, as far as I understood. And high steering better for a ride with bigger/taller tires.
View attachment 187505

View attachment 187506
Can anyone tell out of the Diff cover is this is an GM or Dana 44? They are technically more or less the same, as I´ve read, but Dana 44 coming with flat knuckles depending on the source, for high steer.

Not crossover nor high steer, just stock push-pull steering.

Axle is a D44, should be cast into the web near the axle tube. GM 10 bolt has a rounder cover with 2 ears on the bottom. Also GM 10 bolt is passenger side drop.

jlcanterbury

Going to revive a very old thread here.

Does anyone have experience converting a Chevy G30 van to 4x4, or know any shops that are offering parts kits/ or conversions currently?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Going to revive a very old thread here.

Does anyone have experience converting a Chevy G30 van to 4x4, or know any shops that are offering parts kits/ or conversions currently?

I have a G30 I am wanting to convert. I even thought of using a dana 50 TTB to keep it low. Mine is a cut-a-way box truck so height is a concern.

whith

Looks like it was mentioned up earlier in the thread but I would reach out to Boulder Offroad.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Another thread ressurection!

Considering a 1990 G30 4x4 for South America...found one for sale that was converted by Richardson Brothers out of Oregon when it was new..... Never heard of this place and can't really find any info.

Anybody familiar with this company?

Also general thoughts on a G30 to live in and see the world? It's got the 454 and th400.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94