What size propane tank?

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
First of all, I was not sure under what section to put this question because I'm covering a few different areas: Propane storage and Cooking. So for now, I posted it in the Camping Equipment, Storage and Clothin section but if it is better suited for the Overlan Chef section feel free to move it over.

I was shopping for a compact propane tank and found two options. A 4.9lb version and 8.8lb version. They would both fit the bill but one is larger than the other. I'm trying to find a balance between proper size and sufficient capacity for 3 to 5 day trips. I'll be running a cheap portable Steel Propane BBQ (untill it dies) and eventaully a Cook Partner Stove.

What size propane bottle do you use and how long between re-fills (i.e. 3, 5, 7 day trip)?

Now specifically for you Cook Partner Stove users. Cook Partner Stove = What size propane tank?

Cheers,
P

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
p1michaud said:
First of all, I was not sure under what section to put this question because I'm covering a few different areas: Propane storage and Cooking. So for now, I posted it in the Camping Equipment, Storage and Clothin section but if it is better suited for the Overlan Chef section feel free to move it over.

I was shopping for a compact propane tank and found two options. A 4.9lb version and 8.8lb version. They would both fit the bill but one is larger than the other. I'm trying to find a balance between proper size and sufficient capacity for 3 to 5 day trips. I'll be running a cheap portable Steel Propane BBQ (untill it dies) and eventaully a Cook Partner Stove.

What size propane bottle do you use and how long between re-fills (i.e. 3, 5, 7 day trip)?

Now specifically for you Cook Partner Stove users. Cook Partner Stove = What size propane tank?

Cheers,
P

P, I have a 4lb tank, and it's been plenty big enough for a 5-7 day trip. Just using it for my stove, cooking 2 meals a day, making coffee, and heating water for a shower every couple days. I've never come close to running out.

Now, I'm not sure about how much more propane the grill uses. Can you use the grill with one of those pint/ltr bottles and gauge it's burn rate from that? E.g., 4 of those green bottles is equivalent to the 4lb tank.

Or, if you already have a larger tank and you're just looking to downsize, you could weight the tank before and after you run the BBQ for a while and then extrapolate from there.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I plan for 1/2 lb of propane per day. That includes 3 meals cooked with a stove, a lantern at night and a heater if needed. Equals to about one disposable bottle every 2 - 3 days. Never used more than that...

Pete

Carlyle

Explorer
All the appliances in my camper and the last just sip on the propane, with one exception being the furnace. I would think that the smaller tank would be more than sufficient for your needs, including a barbecue. On the other hand, I have a 16.2 gallon tank which is approximately 60 pounds of propane because I don't like to refill all the time nor ever worry about running out on two to three week trips. So if your concerned about space and weight, get the smaller one. If on the other hand you want to not worry ever, get the big one.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Just back from a 7 day - 6 night trip with 7 other guys. We used my Camp Chef hooked to a std RV trailer/home BBQ sized tank for all but part of one meal. Started the trip almost full. Finished at more than 1/2 full.

I like the larger tanks because they make great ballast for a standpipe that puts the lantern up out of eye level. Other than that reason I'd go with a smaller tank for my trips.

TheGillz

Explorer
p1michaud said:

Cheers,
P

Where did you find to purchase the tanks from?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
ntsqd said:
Just back from a 7 day - 6 night trip with 7 other guys. We used my Camp Chef hooked to a std RV trailer/home BBQ sized tank for all but part of one meal. Started the trip almost full. Finished at more than 1/2 full.

I like the larger tanks because they make great ballast for a standpipe that puts the lantern up out of eye level. Other than that reason I'd go with a smaller tank for my trips.

That's probably a 20 lb tank so you used about a 1 pound a day. How much lantern use did that include?

Pete

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Propane matters...

tdesanto said:
Now, I'm not sure about how much more propane the grill uses. Can you use the grill with one of those pint/ltr bottles and gauge it's burn rate from that? E.g., 4 of those green bottles is equivalent to the 4lb tank.

Or, if you already have a larger tank and you're just looking to downsize, you could weight the tank before and after you run the BBQ for a while and then extrapolate from there.

Tony,
I don't have a dedicated travel propane tank. I've been using the green disposable ones. They pack great and have been working fine. I don't like the idea of tossing them after the fact. With a bit larger tank that can be re-filled, I'm reducing the amount of trash heading to the pile. So I was starting to look arround for a proper size tank and figured I'd ask here first before speding some cash on somthing that would not be adequate. As for consumption, I'm pretty much in line with Pete (1/2 lb/day).

Do you have a cook partner stove as well with your trailer?

mountainpete said:
I plan for 1/2 lb of propane per day. That includes 3 meals cooked with a stove, a lantern at night and a heater if needed. Equals to about one disposable bottle every 2 - 3 days. Never used more than that...

Pete,
I'm right on par with your consumption rates using only the BBQ for cooking duties. I typically would not be using both the BBQ and stove to prepare a meal. I currently use the BBQ and plan on using a better stove here shortly. So a 5 lb tank should cover my needs.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Cheers,
P

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Pierre,

I've been using the 1lb disposable for years... I think this will give me the push buy the 5lb refillable - I always feel bad for throwing out the empties. Just have to make sure I can get a lantern adapter.

Pete

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Less waste

mountainpete said:
Pierre,

I've been using the 1lb disposable for years... I think this will give me the push buy the 5lb refillable - I always feel bad for throwing out the empties. Just have to make sure I can get a lantern adapter.

Pete

Same here. Every little bit helps! Like I said, the local Canadian Tire has a few different options to pick from. For once, I can find it locally! :elkgrin:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have a buddy that uses the 1lb small tanks and refills them himself at home...he has been rotating the small tanks for quite a while and that gets around the landfill issue.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Re-use is another option.

1leglance said:
I have a buddy that uses the 1lb small tanks and refills them himself at home...he has been rotating the small tanks for quite a while and that gets around the landfill issue.

Good point Lance. I prefer to have a slightly larger bottle. Every person will have a different solution to best fit their needs.

Originally posted here:

ZooJunkie said:
Harbor Freight sells an adapter that allows you to refill those pesky propane canisters.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45989

Cheers,
P

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
p1michaud said:
Tony,
I don't have a dedicated travel propane tank. I've been using the green disposable ones. They pack great and have been working fine. I don't like the idea of tossing them after the fact. With a bit larger tank that can be re-filled, I'm reducing the amount of trash heading to the pile. So I was starting to look arround for a proper size tank and figured I'd ask here first before speding some cash on somthing that would not be adequate. As for consumption, I'm pretty much in line with Pete (1/2 lb/day).

Do you have a cook partner stove as well with your trailer?

I wasn't suggesting that you should stick with the 1lb disposable tanks, just to use them as a guide. E.g., 4 of them equal the same propane as the 4-5lb tanks.

If you're using 1/2 lb/day, then the smaller tank should get you through. You could always keep 1 disposable as a backup.

I do have a cook partner stove with my trailer. Sweet stove.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Propane matters...

tdesanto said:
I wasn't suggesting that you should stick with the 1lb disposable tanks, just to use them as a guide. E.g., 4 of them equal the same propane as the 4-5lb tanks.

Got you! Thanks for clarifying. :victory:
Cheers,
P

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles