what to do with the trailer hitch and the wiring ? the hitch came with the new 07 toyota avensis 2lt d4d

bearwoodbrown

the hitch is sometimes dragging with 250 pounds of sand and cement i am a handyman so i need the hauling ability frequently ,, i have no place to store a trailer even if i wanted one ,, Im going to remove the hitch and i was wondering if i could do any thing clever with the trailer wiring ,,there is no inside the car trailer control ,, now that i have this great wagon I want to take the grand kids camping and a few solo trips ,, I want to get 12 volt power to the back of the car to either run things direct or charge a battery So is the trailer plug any good ? it gives lights , turn sigs, brake lights,but how would you control them I think I should run a wire direct from the battery to some sort of distribution panel and forget the trailer wiring I have a big 72 ah? battery that i could run an inverter and or dc charger's,, lights ,, etc this is what i'm thinking about keeping topped up

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I wouldn't think any trailer wiring in a stock vehicle is suitable for battery charging. I would also question your desire to put a 72 Ah battery in the back of a vehicle that you note drags the hitch with only 250# of concrete in the back. Your stock battery is fine for occasional camping trips. If you feel the need to relieve wallet pressure, get a jump pack for the 1 in 1000000 time your stock battery isn't fine.

TriBeard

I wouldn't be so fast to remove it. Get a hitch mounted skid plate instead. chances are good that if the hitch is dragging and you remove the hitch, you'll be dragging or scraping something else instead.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I wouldn't be so fast to remove it. Get a hitch mounted skid plate instead. chances are good that if the hitch is dragging and you remove the hitch, you'll be dragging or scraping something else instead.
I don't think the OP is going to be worried about dragging the rear overhang off highway.

TOYOTA-Avensis-Wagon-1257_10.jpg

TriBeard

I don't think the OP is going to be worried about dragging the rear overhang off highway.

View attachment 444200

Fair. I didn't really look up a picture of the car, but if he's taking it camping and that entails using it offroad at all (not sure if AWD or not) then it still could be a concern.

As for trying to run something off the wiring, is it just a 4 pin connector? If it were a 6 or 7 pin, you could get an adapter since there's a dedicated 12v hot line there, but with just a 4 pin you won't have that so I don't think there's much you can do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online