What to look for when buying a 3rd gen 4runner

pfcrayb

Observer
I found a 3rd gen for a decent price and would like to know what i should watch out for. I do know to check for rust expecially since I live in new england. And also to check for general maintenance like timing belt, water pump, ect. But I want to see if there are any onther issues to keep my eye on.

Thanks
Ray B.

JAvendan

Observer
3rd gen... It should be obvious, but check the rear springs for sagging.

Joel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Applejack

Explorer
Check the ball joints on the lower control arm. If the dust covers are rotted and cracked you will want to replace those. Check the sway bar end links too, although not critical they rust out and break pretty often and will compromise your handling.

nater

Adventurer
Check the rear axle seals... They have a nasty habit of leaking and washing the grease out of the sealed bearings on the axle shafts... Replacing those bearings is a pain and $$.

Like someone above me said, make sure you check the coolant for tranny fluid. Also bypass that cooler asap with a quality external cooler to prevent the issue.

Check the valve covers for leaks. They were not torqued well at the factory and leak like hell normally. It is not an issue, but can be used as a negotiating point.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Make sure the windows go down when you push the power button in the console; lest they be blown out by the surge of torque.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior