What years Tundra do you recommend?

cr500taco

Adventurer
I, currently, have a '97 Tacoma 4WD which I love. It's my DD and everything vehicle. But, I've decided that I want to get a second truck and figured that I would get something bigger, so I decided on a Tundra. I think that the first gen Tundras are big enough for me, plus I am not sure that I can afford a 2007+ model, I wouldn't mind owning one, because they have a higher payload amd towing capacity than the first gens, but I am not sure if I can even afford a '07 or' 08. I don't know much about Tundras and wondering what years of the first gens you guys recommend? I'm thinking that I want to get a 4WD limited, which my understanding is only offered in a double cab.

Cletus26

Adventurer
05-06 have vvt-i engine (variable valve timing) and 5 speed auto compared to 4 speed. 04 has vvt and 4 speed. 4wd limited is offered in double and access cabs (not sure about regular cab). 03-04 transmission were upgraded (planetary gears) over the 00-02 which had OD troubles if you allowed them to "search" for gears on the highway. All in all great trucks. I recommend them all the time. Love my 02 access cab.

deadbird

Observer
I believe that 2005 and 2005 had bigger brakes and calipers. An easy upgrade to put on the earlier trucks.

LUGS

Am interested as well. Looking to replace my 3rd gen 4Runner.
Is the size difference between the 2nd gen (2007 & up) and first gen Tundra's (pre 2007) significantly noticeable when doing backroad camping? Not talking about rock crawling or the like, mostly fire roads and forest service roads.

PaulyWalnuts

Depends on the trim/cab level. What interesting is the single cab 2nd gen Tundra (which I recently bought) is the same length, only a little bit wider, than an Access Cab TACOMA. The two Tundra generations aren't that far off in size but they feel larger due to their height/high beltline. Once you get familiar with height you'll be glad you opted for the big V8, it's a hell of an engine. The turning radius also feels tighter than my previous 3rd gen 4Runners which is super helpful on trails.

You can compare sizes/trims here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Tundra

bkg

Explorer
I've owned...

2003 Limited
2004 Limited
2008 Limited (doesn't really count - was returned to dealer)
2006 Limited
2010 RW
2006 Limited
2015 SR5

By far my favorite truck of all was my first 06 Limited. Really wish I had never sold that thing. I liked the 04 as well, but I prefer the 5-speed auto over the 4-speed. And there is some additional HP in the vvt-i.

I almost bought an 05 last year. Limited with rear seat entertainment and factory GPS head unit. Very rare bird. Only had 21K miles on it as well. Wife said no.

I should note - I have towed my off-road truck with the 04, 06, 10 models. The 10 got ~9mpg pulling from MN to TN. The 04 got 12 mpg pulling from N MN to St Paul. First 06 got 12.5 mpg pulling 1/2 a 4runner from Omaha to St. Paul... in OD... at 75+ mph.

Only thing I've towed with the 15 is a buddy's extremely heavy power hammer for his black smith shop... barely managed 11mpg.

If it were me, it'd be an 05 or 06 Limited (the true limited - many southern states got Limited badges with cloth interior).

LUGS

I should note - I have towed my off-road truck with the 04, 06, 10 models. The 10 got ~9mpg pulling from MN to TN. The 04 got 12 mpg pulling from N MN to St Paul. First 06 got 12.5 mpg pulling 1/2 a 4runner from Omaha to St. Paul... in OD... at 75+ mph.

Only thing I've towed with the 15 is a buddy's extremely heavy power hammer for his black smith shop... barely managed 11mpg.

That's really interesting. You would think that the second gen Tundra's with a more powerful engine (5.7 vs 4.7) and higher towing capacities and newer technology would be more fuel efficient than the previous gen. I would be curious to know what the weight difference is between the two generations and if that plays a role. Comparing similar trim levels like say SR5 Access Cab to SR5 Double Cab.

bkg

Explorer
That's really interesting. You would think that the second gen Tundra's with a more powerful engine (5.7 vs 4.7) and higher towing capacities and newer technology would be more fuel efficient than the previous gen. I would be curious to know what the weight difference is between the two generations and if that plays a role. Comparing similar trim levels like say SR5 Access Cab to SR5 Double Cab.

The 5.7, especially the flex-fuel tune, simply loves fuel. Heck, it's only rated at 17 mpg hwy. I've never gotten that, sans one time in 16K miles. Second, I don't think Toyota put as much effort into the 2nd gen as they did the 1st gen. Just an opinion, but the 1st gen is better built, better fit finish than the 2nd.

But one couldn't get the tow mirrors on the 1st gen. lol.

LUGS

Better fit and finish.... and this is why it is so difficult to find a lightly used lower mileage 1st gen Tundra up here in Canada.
My only major concern about an 05-06 Tundra is LBJ failure. I think there was a recall on this a couple years back. But then again, if I was to buy one of these rigs the LBJ replacement is probably one of the first things to look at as preventative maintenance. Right up there with the timing belt. Still would be cheaper to buy one of these used and throw a few $$$ into maintenance than buying new.

odonekanobe

Observer
I have an '04 DC Limited 4x4 with the TRD supercharger on it. I love this truck. My friends with second gen Tundras always want to take mine when we go on trips. It has the rear seat entertainment also and is very comfortable in the back seat, even for tall guys (6'+).

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Get an '06.

Find the best one you can with the least amount of miles, fewest owners, etc.

Bear in mind, you will likely have to go through it. Replace every fluid, timing belt, WP, suspension, etc.

You will then have a superb expo vehicle. I just drove about 2,500 miles in 9 days and it did not even burp.

See my build thread for ideas if you need them; sounds like you have good ideas on your own...

If you can locate a Limited, then do. But don't "limit" yourself. I have a Sequoia Limited and love it. I really wanted a Tundra Limited. But I ended up finding a 2006 AZ vehicle, double-cab, good color, zero rust, rhino-lined, 115K miles, etc. It's an SR5 but it's fine. In some ways, the cloth seats are better for expo type travel. You can always upgrade seats if you really want to.

Last edited:

cr500taco

Adventurer
Thanks for the inputs. Seems like the first gens are favored over the second gens.

I have heard that people complain about the gas mileage on tbe second gens, but don't know which motor they have.

Right now, i am driving a Dodge Ram double cab short bed rental, because my Tacoma is in the shop getting the driveshaft rebuilt. I am liking the size and power of it and was leaning towards seeing if I can swing it to get a second gen Tundra, but now having second thoughts on that.

Is the limited only available on the DC's? I haven't come across any AC limiteds.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cr500taco

Adventurer
I've owned...

2003 Limited
2004 Limited
2008 Limited (doesn't really count - was returned to dealer)
2006 Limited
2010 RW
2006 Limited
2015 SR5

By far my favorite truck of all was my first 06 Limited. Really wish I had never sold that thing. I liked the 04 as well, but I prefer the 5-speed auto over the 4-speed. And there is some additional HP in the vvt-i.

I almost bought an 05 last year. Limited with rear seat entertainment and factory GPS head unit. Very rare bird. Only had 21K miles on it as well. Wife said no.

If it were me, it'd be an 05 or 06 Limited (the true limited - many southern states got Limited badges with cloth interior).
What's the reason why '06 is your preferred year?

cr500taco

Adventurer
Get an '06.

Find the best one you can with the least amount of miles, fewest owners, etc.

Bear in mind, you will likely have to go through it. Replace every fluid, timing belt, WP, suspension, etc.

You will then have a superb expo vehicle. I just drove about 2,500 miles in 9 days and it did not even burp.

See my build thread for ideas if you need them; sounds like you have good ideas on your own...

If you can locate a Limited, then do. But don't "limit" yourself. I have a Sequoia Limited and love it. I really wanted a Tundra Limited. But I ended up finding a 2006 AZ vehicle, double-cab, good color, zero rust, rhino-lined, 115K miles, etc. It's an SR5 but it's fine. In some ways, the cloth seats are better for expo type travel. You can always upgrade seats if you really want to.
Thanks, I was planning on replacing the fluids and doing the WP, timing belt and suspension is a great idea as well.

cr500taco

Adventurer
Also, I read somewhere that there are more mods for the 2000 - '04 than the '05 - '06, is this correct?

Any differences between tbe' 05 and '06? I read in Wiki that the' 06 motor was derated a little, but you can't beleive everything on Wiki.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior