What years Tundra do you recommend?

cr500taco

Adventurer
Little bit more than that.

Limited had the option for leather. I've seen a number of trucks, especially in the south, that were "limited" badged with cloth interior.
Limited had access to Sunroof (DC only), Rear entertainment
Limited has access to heated leather seats
Limited has access to different sound system (forget model)
Limited has access to, though rare, in-dash GPS. More common in Sequoias
Limited is monochromatic... this has always been the kicker for me as I despise chrome (and yes, my SR5 has a ton of chrome now. ick)
Limited is available with or without the TRD suspension upgrades
And the Limited has fake wood trim

I think that's it....
Thanks for compiling that list. Everything on there i can live without, especially the leather and chrome. Well, the sunroof might be nice.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

daveyboy

Adventurer
I have a 2008, DC, 4x4, 5.7L non-FFV--absolutely love it!

Some say that 2008 is the best year for the 2nd-gen as it got all of the fixes from 2007, has the "good" steering rack, and wasn't de-contented like later years.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I have a 2008, DC, 4x4, 5.7L non-FFV--absolutely love it!

Some say that 2008 is the best year for the 2nd-gen as it got all of the fixes from 2007, has the "good" steering rack, and wasn't de-contented like later years.

2007 actually was the best year. It has the original discontinued rack that didn't have any leak issues. After Toyota find cheaper manufactures to build the parts. Shot went down hill. I seen more failed racks in 2008 and up

bkg

Explorer
Thanks for compiling that list. Everything on there i can live without, especially the leather and chrome. Well, the sunroof might be nice.

SR5 = Chrome grill, mirrors, trim.
Limited = body-matched grill, mirrors, trim

daveyboy

Adventurer
2007 actually was the best year. It has the original discontinued rack that didn't have any leak issues. After Toyota find cheaper manufactures to build the parts. Shot went down hill. I seen more failed racks in 2008 and up

Hmm, all of the information I have read states that the rack changed in 2009.

Do you have a link that states they changed prior to that?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Hmm, all of the information I have read states that the rack changed in 2009.

Do you have a link that states they changed prior to that?

When I worked at Toyota. I had a custom try to order a 2007 rack for his newer tundra because of the known leak issues to find out the 2007 part number was discontinued and only way to get one was from a junk yard. Heck I would have done a junk yard 07 rack vs Toyota newer leaky one lol.

I could have my parts guy look up an 08 and see if the rack has been superseded or not. I know for sure the 07 was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cr500taco

Adventurer
Been checking out the 2005 & 2006 Tundras, online. Was the TRD only on the SR5 models? I haven't seen any Limited TRDs, both online and on the road.

I did notice that there are Pro and Sport versions of the TRD. What's the difference between the two on those yesrs?

bkg

Explorer
Been checking out the 2005 & 2006 Tundras, online. Was the TRD only on the SR5 models? I haven't seen any Limited TRDs, both online and on the road.

I did notice that there are Pro and Sport versions of the TRD. What's the difference between the two on those yesrs?

Trd was available on limited, but rare. But I'd you are planning suspension mods, don't worry about TRD.

Never run across a pro or sport

cr500taco

Adventurer
Trd was available on limited, but rare. But I'd you are planning suspension mods, don't worry about TRD.

Never run across a pro or sport

I do plan on suspension mods, especially replacing the shocks and at least the coils, right away. Just didn't know if a TRD was worth looking for, otherwise. I think that I was mistaking about the TRD pro and sport. I looked at a couple of pics of 2005 and 2006 TRD Tundras, again and they just said TRD Off Road. Must have been thinking of newer Tacomas amd Tundras.

Last edited:

hedmisten

I searched forever to find an 05 DC limited in 4wd with low miles. It had to be my daily driver and meticulously cared for. I finally found it after a year. 05 VVT has more HP than the 06... small amount but I remind my father in law who has an 06 limited. Power is night and day over our lifted 4door JK on 35s with 4.10s. My tundra is on 285s and smooth power delivery is a beautiful thing.

I've been driving an 01 Tundra AC Limited TRD for 16 years. Only has 109k miles and I am the original owner. Only problem I ever had was the dang O2 sensors in 2004ish or so. Best friend and hunting buddy is a mechanic and a Tundra guy as well so the truck gets a lot of love. Lot of memories in that truck. I am picking up a 2005 DC SR5 this summer to make room for growing kids. Be interesting to see how different they feel and drive. I like the SR5 because I don't care for the wood trim. Ideally I would like to pick up some leather heated seats from a scrapped Limited and it would be the perfect truck (heated seats are nice in AK). Also need to find a way to paint over the Chrome mirrors, and the chrome strip on the bumper. I much prefer the color match on the Limited.

Dabird

I searched forever to find an 05 DC limited in 4wd with low miles. It had to be my daily driver and meticulously cared for. I finally found it after a year. 05 VVT has more HP than the 06... small amount but I remind my father in law who has an 06 limited. Power is night and day over our lifted 4door JK on 35s with 4.10s. My tundra is on 285s and smooth power delivery is a beautiful thing.

I don't think there is any actual difference in power between 05 and 06. I think the standards for how power ratings are determined changed and that's why the numbers are different

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles