Wheel adapters

wADVr

Adventurer
I am having a hard time bringing myself to install a 3500 lb axle on my m101a3. Seems common place to install a narrower axle then add wheel spacer to clear the hub. So what are the thoughts of using a 5200 lb axle to get the larger brakes and spindle in a 6 lug version and use adapters to get the 5 on 5 bolt pattern to match my JKU?

I have been using my trailer for utility use this summer and have had as much as 3000 lbs of rock loaded into my 1300-1500 lb trailer which is 1000 above the 3500 lb axle capacity. I have not intended to overload the trailer but easy to do. This makes me think that a heavier duty axle might be a good thing. I have ran wheel spacers on one of my Jeeps years ago without any issues but not sure about an adapter spacer.

Obviously I could run different wheels and an additional spare for the trailer but given available space and weight I'd prefer to match and utilize a single spare.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Going from a 6 bolt to a 5 bolt pattern via an adaper can be tricky - you'll need the 6 bolt pattern to be a larger bolt circle for it to work.

Otherwise seems like a good idea to go to the heavier axle for your use.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've been using 6x41/2 to5x5 adapters on my TENTRAX for close to 8 years--NO PROBLEMO !

You just have to OVER maintain the hub bearings, because of the additional load, due to horizontal offset-

Don't forget to check the adapter attach(hub) nuts torque(125lbft), at 500 miles--then at least once a year after that- and you're good to go !

Good luck-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

wADVr

Adventurer
A little more info with a question...

The factory JK wheels have an offset of 44.45 mm or 1.75". The steel winter wheels have slightly deeper offset at 47.3mm or 1.86".

Seems trailer spindles like a 0 (zero) offset to .5" to center the wheel between the bearings and bias toward the inside larger bearing.

Using the wheels above and a normal 1.5" spacer this is exactly in the sweet spot and should yield the strongest set up. Using a 2" spacer or adapter will create a negative offset slightly (-.25 to -.14) seems to me that even with the offset slightly outboard the +20% increase of spindle diameter is worth it, or is it? (These 2" adapters are the thinnest to adapt the 6 lug 5200lb-pair spindles to a 5 lug wheel)

I do wonder if the larger 5200lb hub diameter will clear the factory jeep wheels even with the 2" spacers.

Or am I crazy and the occasional accidental overloading isn't worth all this overthinking/over complicating and a 3500lb axle is just fine?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
A modern 16 inch wheel typically has an inner diameter of about 13.4 inches at the welds of the center to the outer hoop. I'd be surprised if a drum type electric brake setup is that large.

Sounds like the stock Mopar wheels with a spacer would work well. I did a similar adaption for running sprinter wheels on a tow trailer and it's has been great. They are even deeper with an offset (ET) of 75 mm and a backspacing of 6.5 inches on a 6x16 inch wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94