WHEEL BALANCING BEADS

blackduck

Explorer
Have been looking at getting new front tyres on the truck
and was suprised to find out that outside of metropolis not many tyre dealers actually balance anything bigger than a car tyre
Then I came accross DYNABEADS
good concept and has some good feedback on motorcycle forums
they also have a flash demo on youtube
apparently theyre good for just about any kind of wheel in all sorts of applications - and you can use them in tubes
and whats best it can make up for any out of alignment problems with your rims - apparently??
So has anyone had any experience with these things? - or does anyone have an opinion?

4x4x4doors

Explorer
I don't run them but know some folks who do albeit in 35" offroad 4x4 type tires. Not familiar with anyone running them in a rig like yours.
It may be a matter of terminology but not seeing how they could compensate for out of alignment issue?

huskyfargo

Adventurer
I ran them in the tires on my JK and my trailer. They worked out really well. They were far better at balancing the tires than lead weights. I haven't had any problems keeping the wheels on my LR3 balanced, but when I get new tires, I'll probably use dynabeads again.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I've just put them in my 315/75 16 Kuhmo KL71 tires. Only done a little bit of running but I'm more than happy at the time being. I'll know more next week when we head up to the Cape. I went with the Callie's Kustoms stainless steel bought from Ebay . Apparently ceramic or glass beads break down from rubbing on each other in the long run. Just what I found when I started looking at using them.

Dan.

1Engine

Observer
My local truck tyre dealer in FNQ does wheel Balancing. I am surprised that other Truck Tyre Dealers do not do wheel balancing

blackduck

Explorer
My local truck tyre dealer in FNQ does wheel Balancing. I am surprised that other Truck Tyre Dealers do not do wheel balancing

my local tyre dealer in Perth also balances 16" LT wheels cause he's got the right size cone to suit the rim centre
But since I lost a wheel weight off my front right steer tyre comming out of Mt Augustus above 90 K my steering vibrates all over the place
Ive tried to get it re balanced since Carnarvon - no joy
Ive finally decided to get new tyres while Im in Karratha
This is a mining town and every second vehicle runs 16" wheels, but no one in town can balance them
Apparently truck tyres are so well made they dont need it ??
But i dont know about that one
hence the thread,
if the beads work and dont damage the inside of the tyre or tube then for a couple of dollars Ill never have to worry about lead weights again

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Yes they are 127Q rated. I've been trying to post up picture in your Canter Rims thread but can't post pictures. My computer won't allow it. Don't know why.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
If you are some one who airs down regularly, I'm not sure I would recomend them. Have recently heard of valves jamming and wheels going out of balance if the air being pumped in regularly has moisture in it and this accumulates.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Just got back today after doing over 4,500 Klms of both hi-way and dirt roads airing down and up a few times to suit the roads and at this stage I am more than happy my choice to go to tire beads .

Dan.

Tony LEE

International Grey Nomad
If you are some one who airs down regularly, I'm not sure I would recomend them. Have recently heard of valves jamming and wheels going out of balance if the air being pumped in regularly has moisture in it and this accumulates.

Was this report concerning balancing powder or the beads.

MrGrimm

Mall Crawler
Just put 8oz of beads in some 35x12.5-17 tires. I will post up my thoughts about them once I get a couple hundred miles on them.

Got them from here.

_DSC2186.jpg

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Was this report concerning balancing powder or the beads.

Hi Tony,

Beads .......cause even the beads rub together and give off powder....and as I said if you are continually airing down like the guys around here do running on the beach then that's where you will have more of a problem......well the humidity here is usually very high and I doubt anyone has a dryer fitted to there on board air system do they? You've only got to drain a truck's air brake tank to get an idea of water accumulation ...... so this is the type of problems that I've heard about. If you're running constant pressures all the time then I'm sure you'd never have a problem but if you're airing up and down moisture is more likely to accumulate and mixed with powder can go a "gluggy" (if that's the term) ..... and certainly change the effectiveness of the beads or as I was told, can jam up the valves.

Tony, I will add that I have never seen this happen personally but am only repeating what has happened to guys around here. These guys are VERY experienced beach driver's and I have no reason to doubt them.

Regards John.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles