When does truck become a RV

cwsqbm

Explorer
Add 4wd to an standard RV.

Adding 4wd requires a lot of effort and time that could be better spent exploring. A used pickup and camper can have you out next weekend for less than the cost of the conversion.

Its not just the lack of 4wd. Most RVs have all their plumbing hung down low and unprotected. They also have way too much rear overhang. They're also not built to take the punishment of rough road (let alone off-road) life. Finally, most American RVs are simply too wide and long to go off-road anywhere except some of the large beach areas. A 100" wide and over 29' are common, and short models are hard to find. As for those short models, many are Sprinter-based - and a 4wd Sprinter in the USA is still mostly vaporware.

Remember, there is no one right answer for everyone. You asked why some do it - there's some reasons that may not be valid for you, but they are for others.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I looked into doing this here in CA. It would save a bunch off the registration and a little cheaper on insurance but the biggest downside was I could never drive the truck without the camper installed. As it is, the camper basically lives full time on the truck BUT there is the occasion I might need to do maintenance on one or the other and could have them apart. This could result in a huge fine if I got caught. It wasn't worth the hassle.
That's my take on it. I removed my Northstar for a month and used the truck for hauling. It's not worth the inevitable stiff fine here for not having commercial plates. My friend has a Callen camper shell on his 2000 3/4 Dodge and took it into the DMV for house car plates. They inspected it and gave him the plates. Go figure.

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
Out here in Taxachusetts, the truck is a truck unless you have 3 things permanently attached, being a separate propane heater, hot water tank, stove, refrigerator, toilet, bed. Then you can register I it as a camper. Downfall is, a under 10,000 gvwr truck can get passenger plates if it isn't being used for business. That costs $50-80 every 2 years. The camper/motor home costs $50 per year. And the insurance doesn't change for either unless it's a truck camper ( considered cargo) or a trailer (covered when being towed is another $20 on the cost of the truck insurance)

As I did with my truck camper, had it capable of sliding on and off, because you can do so much more with a truck bed empty, plus the fuel savings.

mpike

My truck is registered as an rv here in Cal, ie., the plates are non-comercial. My understanding is: if I take the camper off, I have to put my camper shell on or risk a ticket.
Mike

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
When I registered my truck camper I purchased a separate one time fee Camper registration of $75. To this day I have a separate Camper Tag on my left rear above the Lance bumper. I run commercial plates. My insurance rates for the camper only are $25 every six months. The insurance understands I occasionally remove my camper as does DMV. The camper is considered a separate property "hauled" in the back of my track. Its as simple as that.

California Registered.

In another couple of years when I upgrade to a new improved Lance? I will NOT bother with DMV registration, I will merely use it, insure it, and be done with it. Believe me, theres enough cell phone blabbing and texting to keep any motor cop busy till the end of shift, I seriously doubt these folks are going to bother pulling over a TC over tags unless there are other mitigating circumstances. Let's see? $25 fine? Or $1500 for a cell phone violation? California needs the $$$.

How about a land cruiser with a camper conversion, a wedge style tent permanently attached to roof. Has sink, stove and water tank in it. Is that qualified as an rv? Curious to know if I could finance it as an rv?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
In California, there is a list of, IIRC, seven things that make a vehicle a "housecar" and you need any four from the list.

As for financing, my credit union won't finance an RV older than, I think, 11 years.

In California, there is a list of, IIRC, seven things that make a vehicle a "housecar" and you need any four from the list.

As for financing, my credit union won't finance an RV older than, I think, 11 years.

Yea 27 yrs ain’t gonna fly then at the bank. Ahh worth a thought. Thanks man

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles