When pots and pans need to get bigger? Backpacking to trailer

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Pots and Pans,
So I was wondering where to go from here, I have the typical camping pots and pans but considering an actual cooking set which would consist of a 8”, and 10 or 12” cast iron. A 12” sauce pan and a 6qt. or larger pot. All of these would need to be securely housed and with glass lids (hate non see through lids). My typical back backing stuff is good, but lacks for trailer equipped camping. I could get by on smaller full on cookware to keep size down as weight is not as much as a compromise with the trailer.

Honu

lost on the mainland
get a costco set or something ? get a rubbermaid tote or something maybe ?
I prefer more normal pots and pans myself and have them in a flip lid thing from costco

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well as I forgot to post, the reason for the upsize is because a partner 18" is not the trailer cooker, and not a MSR whisperlite, jetboil, or micro canister top stove. Small pots will be saved for non trailer based activities.

A

TrailTrackers

Observer
Iron Chef Cookware

About 2 months ago, I was walking through Smith & Edwards (store just north of Ogden, Ut that is sorta like Cabela's) and found some awsome new cookware. It's the latest technology in cast iron.

I'm sure we all love cooking on cast iron because of the perfectly even heat distribution, but the weight of those suckers is insane. Not to mention that they rust way easy. But yes, we all put up with it because the pros outweight the cons.

Well, these pots are very lightweight cast iron. They have an enamel coating on the bottom and some super slick coating on the inside. They are ridiculously easy to clean (simply wipe the inside with a dry paper towel) and provide 100% even heat distribution. As a matter of fact, and even though we bought a set for camping, we have also been using these inside as well.

The one thing that may make many shy away from them is the initial cost; they aren't cheap. But let me tell you from personal experience, they are more than worth the purchase price. And they even have the glass lids you desire.

Iron Chef Cookware

Hope that helps.

rk_az

Adventurer
The trouble with something like that is, the non-stick coating eventually wears out, and then you end up with a nice set of pricey doorstops. Better to go with the cheap non-stick pans that you can toss when they are done.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Heck they don't have to be non stick, but for that price I'd go stainless. You only need 1 non stick skillet for cooking eggs and things with cheese (normally). At least that is how my kitchen is set up at home. I try and not use non stick as much as possible and stick with my stainless ware.

A

loki646

Observer
We do a lot of wok cooking so for me I've learned how to distribute the cooking through out the food simply by placement plus most woks are light weight. However I do agree with the "tried and true" of cast iron, especially a good dutch oven. I'm getting ready to completely re-equip my camping kitchen as soon as I can even get to my camping tote...it seems to be camping in the farthest corner of my garage with everything else in the way...:sombrero:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
We bought a set of Stansport nesting cookware for our pop-up trailer. I'm not usually impressed with Stansport but this set is well made with very heavy bottoms that distribute heat well. Even in a trailer you will want to conserve space and keep weight down, this set nest together and is pretty light considering the construction.

STAINLESS STEEL 7 PC. DELUXE FAMILY COOK SET

In addition we carry a coffee pot, cast iron skillet, and medium size dutch oven.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I've been thinking about this too. I'd like to save my ultralight cooking set for hiking or canoe camping. While I really would like a nesting set, I hate the way removable handles work. At least, any of the ones I've used. I would prefer to have one handle per pot, or at least 2-3 handles, and I'd like them to lock on so that you can strain things using the lit, without worrying about dropping the whole thing.

AKRover

Adventurer
I have tried to use my backpacking gear for vehicle camping and it doesn't work so well. The really think stainless usually gets hot spots in it and burns stuff. Instead I usually take a 10 -12 inch cast iron skillet and I have a large cast iron dutch oven as well. They are great for camp cooking but they add a lot of weight and I'm in the process of trying to cut weight from my kit.

I saw some cast aluminum dutch ovens at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and I am considering giving one of these a try. They are a fraction of the weight of the iron and should still do a pretty good job of holding on to the heat. I know it won't work as well as the iron but I'm willing to sacrifice a little to save weight.

As far as fry pans and sauce pots I think I'm going to use inexpensive commercial aluminum stuff. I have used this type of cookware in culinary school and working in restaurants and it can really take a beating. The aluminum is usually pretty thick and can disperse the heat very well.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
..... I'd like them to lock on so that you can strain things using the lit, without worrying about dropping the whole thing.
The Stansport handle locks in place pretty well. I'd like one for each pot though.

I saw some cast aluminum dutch ovens at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and I am considering giving one of these a try. They are a fraction of the weight of the iron and should still do a pretty good job of holding on to the heat. I know it won't work as well as the iron but I'm willing to sacrifice a little to save weight.

As far as fry pans and sauce pots I think I'm going to use inexpensive commercial aluminum stuff. I have used this type of cookware in culinary school and working in restaurants and it can really take a beating. The aluminum is usually pretty thick and can disperse the heat very well.

IMHO save your money, the aluminum DO's really don't work well. Our Troop had a couple when I was in Scouts, after a couple of failed peach cobblers we stopped using them. I think this is one item that HAS to be cast iron.

I use commercial pots and pans at home, my complaint with them on the trail is that they really don't store well. I've considered grinding out the rivets and re-attaching the handles with wing nuts and carriage bolts to overcome this failing.

07 Elephant

Adventurer
We bought a really nice cuisinart set from cabellas. what I like most about the set is the 2 removable pot/pan handles. No more burned hands from damn hot pan/pot handle. Top quality pots and pans too. Heavy bottoms and nice assortment of sizes. They fit one inside the other and store in their own bag. Pics

06a64d6c.jpg

0d0828ce.jpg

Last edited:

dirty Bakers

Conservative
My wife and I Bought a new set for the kitchen, so the old kitchen set is going in the camping Box. maybe that could be the route to take.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
My wife and I Bought a new set for the kitchen, so the old kitchen set is going in the camping Box. maybe that could be the route to take.

I had thought of this but our stainless is too new to move to the camp box. I don't want to spend upwards of 500-700 again anytime soon. I like the Cuisinart nesting set. Look heavy enough to be abused and compact enough to be useful.

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior