where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

Lovetheworld

Here is a question for you.
Do you prefer field repairable vehicle or reliable vehicle?
If it’s not field repairable it’s not long distance remote travel vehicle.

would you take a used Porsche SUV And try to cross Mongolia ? Or go to South America ?

The Porsche has been sold as a Transsyberia version, which went to Mongolia already.

It is repairable, but what you mean is parts availability.
Because it is not much different from a full options Landcruiser, in terms of technology involved.
The Cayenne just requires (like many German cars hehe) being a bit picky about which version you take. If I would do it, I would take a petrol v6 base version with manual and steel springs. No reason not to take it overland. They can do high mileage.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Has anyone put larger tires on stock 18 wheels? I have a 2 inch lift but looking at the wheel well there seems to be limited clearance for a larger tire. Looks like there is about an inch clearance in the front inside the fender when the tires are full lock.

I do take the car off road so I'm not looking for a poser look. The stock tires are fine but I will be due for new tires by fall. The car does look look weird with the lift but so be it.

Mike,

This isn't the thread I'm searching for for you, but this has some 18" info; https://www.renntech.org/topic/17095-need-18-tires-how-big-can-i-go/
Here's a more informative thread; https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-955-957/252459-anyone-running-265-65-r18-3.html
If you'd still like more 18" options, LMK, and I'll look up the most informative thread (it's on my work computer).

The Porsche has been sold as a Transsyberia version, which went to Mongolia already.
It is repairable, but what you mean is parts availability.
Because it is not much different from a full options Landcruiser, in terms of technology involved.
The Cayenne just requires (like many German cars hehe) being a bit picky about which version you take. If I would do it, I would take a petrol v6 base version with manual and steel springs. No reason not to take it overland. They can do high mileage.
I think what HUMMER meant was Can YOU repair a Cayenne in the middle of Mongolia, with tools/parts you brought with you? Yes, the Transsyberia raced across Mongolia, but IIRC they had full support crews from Porsche Motorsport technicians to help with any field repairs. If you're a Porsche technician, you could repair if you brought enough tools/parts. But for the layperson, can you easily access components? Do you have a computer scan tool with you to read fault codes, perform actuations, diagnose an issue with the vehicle and then have the parts/tools to repair? Most modern vehicles have the vehicle manufacturer engineers stuffing a whole lot of "10lbs of ******** in a 5lb bag"(ie engine bay).
A LandCruiser might be more reliable (they're simpler than a German engineered Cayenne), but even if a LandCruiser broke in the middle of nowhere (let's say an axle broke somehow), unless you have a spare axle and the tools to repair, you won't be repairing it in the field. So...to that point HUMMER, no vehicle is an infallible long distance/remote travel vehicle, unless you're carrying every possible spare part with you. Could you use your SatPhone to call in the spare part/tools and repair in the field? Possibly. But to that point, if driving a Cayenne anywhere in the world, you could use your SatPhone to call in a Master Porsche technician/parts/tools and repair in the field. ;) Now, if your SatPhone can't communicate to someone, then it could be a long walk to an area where the SatPhone works. That's an adventure.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Mike,

This isn't the thread I'm searching for for you, but this has some 18" info; https://www.renntech.org/topic/17095-need-18-tires-how-big-can-i-go/
Here's a more informative thread; https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/cayenne-955-957/252459-anyone-running-265-65-r18-3.html
If you'd still like more 18" options, LMK, and I'll look up the most informative thread (it's on my work computer).

I think what HUMMER meant was Can YOU repair a Cayenne in the middle of Mongolia, with tools/parts you brought with you? Yes, the Transsyberia raced across Mongolia, but IIRC they had full support crews from Porsche Motorsport technicians to help with any field repairs. If you're a Porsche technician, you could repair if you brought enough tools/parts. But for the layperson, can you easily access components? Do you have a computer scan tool with you to read fault codes, perform actuations, diagnose an issue with the vehicle and then have the parts/tools to repair? Most modern vehicles have the vehicle manufacturer engineers stuffing a whole lot of "10lbs of ******** in a 5lb bag"(ie engine bay).
A LandCruiser might be more reliable (they're simpler than a German engineered Cayenne), but even if a LandCruiser broke in the middle of nowhere (let's say an axle broke somehow), unless you have a spare axle and the tools to repair, you won't be repairing it in the field. So...to that point HUMMER, no vehicle is an infallible long distance/remote travel vehicle, unless you're carrying every possible spare part with you. Could you use your SatPhone to call in the spare part/tools and repair in the field? Possibly. But to that point, if driving a Cayenne anywhere in the world, you could use your SatPhone to call in a Master Porsche technician/parts/tools and repair in the field. ;) Now, if your SatPhone can't communicate to someone, then it could be a long walk to an area where the SatPhone works. That's an adventure.

Thanks, I have not been those sites in a long time.

Lots of guys use spacers but I don't like them for the added stress on the bearings etc. My tire shop, Discount Tire ,does not work on vehicle with spacers. I had to call the their corporate office and send them a copy of my build sheet to prove the rear spacers were from the factory.

In running the numbers , I'm thinking 265/60-18 will work. I'm looking for a taller tire. I think the 30.5 inch tire will be better since I have a manual transmission. The lack of a low first gear and perhaps torque could result in having to slip the clutch to take off. I know on a hill it does take some slipping he clutch to get going and there is just enough power to get moving. Not pleasant .

265/60-18 10.7 section width 9.1 tread width 30.5 height

265/65-18 10.7 section width 8.7 tread width 31.5 height

255/55-18 10.4 section width 9.1 tread width 29.0 height Stock size

thumbnail (4).jpg

Lovetheworld

Yes a Landcruiser is probably easier to work on. We did two big trips with old Toyota's and it is easy if you need to work on them at all.
But a new Landcruiser has a computer as well, that can halt because of bad fuel for example.
As I said before, serious long overlanding with a(n older) Cayenne, I would choose the base version with steel suspension and a manual.

Anyway, parts are the most important as you say, and in that regard, a Cayenne is not great. Though a lot of capitals will have some luxury cars, in general it would not be great to get parts for it.
However, seeing all the cars people like to use on this forum, mostly US based, pretty much all of your domestic vehicles are just as bad or even worse to service in Asia and large parts of Africa.
So you might as well take a Cayenne.
For South-America there is probably more US vehicle presence and thus parts availability, but I don't know that market too well.

HUMMER/Expeditions

I see some pretty nice setup Porsches driving around lately,
Now that used ones are more affordable, ppl can buy and build the way they want,

Back in 2009 I took turbo version off road, it was very capable SUV
it did some very serious trail climbing, in fact the trail it went up, I really doubt most SUVs can make it half way.

when I got there there were bunch of other trucks and SUVs at the bottom of the trail where it becomes serious, they looked with that special look thought here comes mall crawler,
But it didn’t take long for them to shut there mouth.

marcantoine77

Observer
Here is my fuel consumption with a cayenne 958 S Diesel V8 for my roadtrip in the Balkans

I am very surprised

ce1de582356d3aa3fb885922f2e510fa.jpg

Envoyé de mon SM-N986B en utilisant Tapatalk

marcantoine77

Observer
I have a new problem on my Cayenne, the leather of the dashboard comes off.

During my roadtrips I put a sun protector only at the stop.

The leather from dashboard is often more than 50 degrees celcius

Now Porsche is going to change the whole dashboard: 5000 dollars! ( taken in charge by the Porsche Aproved)

I had not thought of this detail when I bought the car.
I should have put a protection on the dashboard

I'm going to see about putting a sun protector on all the time.

Last edited:

moose545

The newer diesel is gorgeous and so smooth, but a CPO 46k mile truck with 2yr unlimited miles is criminal to offroad to me, but a great deal at $46k. It sold that weekend...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles