where to begin?

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
2001 4Runner, completely stock right now. Luckily, no running boards to worry about.

Currently, has good tires. 265/70/16. Don't want to replace those until I figure out suspension and lift (with the Suzuki I did tires first, then lifted it, making the tires look silly).

Suspension and armor are my first priorities:

So, let's talk suspension. So many choices. I want the most bang for the buck and the best articulation for the buck. I don't know if I'm up to the 600 to $1,000 coilover setups, but want to hear the pros and cons of such. Are they primarily designed for pre-running type applications (long, fast, washboardy)?

Bilstein? Old Man Emu? Which offer the longest, longer/extended travel shocks?

Springs? Old Man Emu, Tundra? other brands?

Armor? Shrockworks is in the process of making sliders and bumpers, but who else is there? What about skid plates? (sadly, I haven't had a chance to climb under and see what needs protection and what doesn't)

I know some Tacoma stuff is the same, but I am a total newbie with what is out there partly because of the sheer number of choices (oh, and if people have upgraded to newer/better, maybe we can talk about used stuff ...)

Thanks everybody ... (I'll get better photos soon).

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Awesome vehicle choice!!! :bowdown:

When I got my Tacoma, my first mod was sliders. Easy to get, not too awful expensive, and dont require too much research.

Demello, Allpro and Bentup all make them for your 4Runner. Shrockworks makes some nice looking stuff as well.

Suspension will cost more and take more time and research. Whatever you decide, remember - Save money and headaches by taking your time and doing it right the first time!!!

Last edited:

jeffryscott

Thanks Dave for the info. I'm not used to so many choices.

How do you like the Bilstein 5100's? On the Xterra boards they seem to be THE shock.

And thanks for the support of the vehicle choice ... I can't wait to take it out on some dirt.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
jeffryscott said:
Suspension and armor are my first priorities:

So, let's talk suspension. So many choices. I want the most bang for the buck and the best articulation for the buck. I don't know if I'm up to the 600 to $1,000 coilover setups, but want to hear the pros and cons of such. Are they primarily designed for pre-running type applications (long, fast, washboardy)?

Bilstein? Old Man Emu? Which offer the longest, longer/extended travel shocks?

Springs? Old Man Emu, Tundra? other brands?

My buddy Jayon (loosehead on YT) has FZJ 80 coils in the rear of his Runner and Tundra coils up front. Here is a thread on YT, several folks are going this route. Great pictures and info in this that thread. Very inexpensive for a great lift.

Clutch

<---Pass
It all depends how much money you want to throw at it, and what you want it to do.

My friend has the Downey coil overs on his and I have the Camburgs. I notice a big difference. I can push my truck a little harder. They are a little nicer and worth the extra cash. IMO.

He also went with add-a-leafs (band-aid fix IMO) and I went with the Deavers. Huge difference again. Of coarse that dosn't apply to 4Runners, since they have coil over in the rear. I currently have the Tundra spec Bilsteins and do a fine job, but, I think I am going to upgrade to the 5100s and airbags.

If you like you can take my truck for a spin to see if you like the coilovers. Maybe a quick jaunt up Reddington?

I know the 4Runner and the Tacoma will have a different feel, because of the weight difference, and different rear suspension.

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
jeffryscott said:
Thanks Dave for the info. I'm not used to so many choices.

How do you like the Bilstein 5100's? On the Xterra boards they seem to be THE shock.

And thanks for the support of the vehicle choice ... I can't wait to take it out on some dirt.

You're welcome. The Bilsteins have been great so far, even loaded down they still do a good job on washboards and whoops.

You should consider that thread on YT about the Tundra/80 coils on a Runner, seems like pretty good bang for the buck. Simple, durable, and inexpensive.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Suspension upgrades

TACODOC said:
Suspension will cost more and take more time and research. Whatever you decide, remember - Save money and headaches by taking your time and doing it right the first time!!!

Great looking rig. Can't wait to see it "grow"!

I will second what TACODOC has already said. :iagree:
I'm on front suspension revision number 3 and looking at another upgrade to coil overs and rear suspension revision number 3 and happy with this one. Take your time, do some research, save your money and do it right the first time. I could have most of my whole truck mods complete by now if I would have listened to my own advice!

Cheers :beer:,
P

You got the new ride! Congratulations :luxhello::exclaim:
take a look at this...it's the 4x4wire tech section, mods tuneups and maintenance tips galore.

something I wish I'd done *first* was weigh both ends of the truck empty, and measure the distance from the center of the hub to the lip of the wheel well...it's a repeatable measurement on your vehicle, so you can see how your mods and the way you pack changes things.

on the "do it right, do it once" theme...start with armor and body mods. friends with welding equipment can help you, there are tons of resources, plans and ideas on 4x4wire...same with skid plates. it's a lot more fun, and less expensive, to make the body mods yourself!

once all the armor is on, see how the weight is distributed and how much lower the truck sits. height wont matter much since youre on stock tires...and you'll be protected. then you'll know what springs to choose...getting stiff springs early only hurts :violent-smiley-031:.

yotas are great right out of the box. armor it up and you may not feel the need to change anything for a long time!

something worth pondering...the largest tire you can fit properly without trimming is a 265/75/16, but with a uniball upper control arm (~400 for camburg, ~600 for chaos, ~kidney for donahoe) and a longer shock (~200 for 5100 bilis, ~liver or spleen for dr or camburg/saw), you can turn and flex that tire all the way every time--no rubbing on anything, ever. not so the case with a larger tire unless you daylight the pinch weld.

tacodoc's advice leads to fewer mod/repair sessions, more time enjoying the world, and occasionally a week or two of mod/downtime followed by a massive jump in trail performance. it's very much worth it in the long run whether you're talking bumpers, tires, suspension, refridgerators, etc...

whatcha doin' with the zuk?

-sean

jeffryscott

Kermit said:
It all depends how much money you want to throw at it, and what you want it to do.

My friend has the Downey coil overs on his and I have the Camburgs. I notice a big difference. I can push my truck a little harder. They are a little nicer and worth the extra cash. IMO.

He also went with add-a-leafs (band-aid fix IMO) and I went with the Deavers. Huge difference again. Of coarse that dosn't apply to 4Runners, since they have coil over in the rear. I currently have the Tundra spec Bilsteins and do a fine job, but, I think I am going to upgrade to the 5100s and airbags.

If you like you can take my truck for a spin to see if you like the coilovers. Maybe a quick jaunt up Reddington?

I know the 4Runner and the Tacoma will have a different feel, because of the weight difference, and different rear suspension.

Thanks for the offer Kermit, we definitely have to get together so I can take a look at things.

jeffryscott

devinsixtyseven said:
You got the new ride! Congratulations :luxhello::exclaim:
take a look at this...it's the 4x4wire tech section, mods tuneups and maintenance tips galore.

something I wish I'd done *first* was weigh both ends of the truck empty, and measure the distance from the center of the hub to the lip of the wheel well...it's a repeatable measurement on your vehicle, so you can see how your mods and the way you pack changes things.

on the "do it right, do it once" theme...start with armor and body mods.

whatcha doin' with the zuk?

-sean

Thanks Sean, The Zuk was taken back to stock and traded in. The proceeds from the sale of the parts will go toward the 4Runner. But I'm going to go slow on this one. For one, I can't afford to go fast, and two, since there are so many choices with the Toyota, I want to do what I need/want and only do it once. That why I want to wait on tires until after the suspension - do I want to go 265/75/16, 255/85/16 or 285/75/16? Depends on what suspension I do, what kind of deal I can find on tires, etc ...

I haven't even begun to research armor (aside from sliders) for the truck and I need to figure out a bumper option for my winch - ARB, TJM, or the multitude of other options.

My head is spinning. Meanwhile, I can't wait to get it onto one of my favorite little trails to compare to what I know (the Zuk) and this. Going to try to go tomorrow (my day off).

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I've also heard of putting stock F(Z)J80 rear springs on the rear of the 4Skinners. The Cruisers way a lot more and lift the rear and provide for additional load capacity and better ride (so I hear) and you could keep it Toyota (read good). Anyway, if you're interested I still have my stock FZJ80 springs that were taken off my 80 almost immediately for my OME replacements.

I'll part with 'em for a song, a good beer, and use 'em as a bride for ExPo'07 timed course defeat from you? :)

Clutch

<---Pass
From the sound of things finding someone with Tundra/Cruiser take off parts might be the cheap easy way to go.

jeffryscott

pskhaat said:
I've also heard of putting stock F(Z)J80 rear springs on the rear of the 4Skinners. The Cruisers way a lot more and lift the rear and provide for additional load capacity and better ride (so I hear) and you could keep it Toyota (read good). Anyway, if you're interested I still have my stock FZJ80 springs that were taken off my 80 almost immediately for my OME replacements.

I'll part with 'em for a song, a good beer, and use 'em as a bride for ExPo'07 timed course defeat from you? :)

thanks Scott, If you skip the song requirement (you really don't want to hear me sing) I'll double up on the beer and give them a try. I'll send you a message ...

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Also, have some rear stock 100 series springs now which actually may be a better lift/fit. You can try both if inclined. I'll be down to TUS soon, so will keep you informed.

jeffryscott

Thanks Scott, going to pick up some Tundra front springs in the a.m., so between them and the Cruiser springs, I'll just be waiting for shocks.

Need to sell my Zuk suspension system, then will probably get the OME or Toyota branded Tokico's.

Talk to you soon,

Jeff

Haven't seen anybody mention the 100 series springs, but we can see how they compare to the 80 series. Thanks again,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior