Which bike would make a good "lifeboat" for a Unimog?

westyss

Explorer
I don't know where you got the $5K figure. I bought a new 2010 from a dealer for $3100, and good, used, 2000-2006 bikes on CraigsList go for $1300-2000.

Well I got that figure in Canada, it just seems like these bikes are rare here, new are over $5,000 and used, well I have been looking for over a year and I only found one for sale, a very unused fairly new one for $4,500. I have seen these on Ebay in the states more often and at way lower prices, which is probably the way I will have to go if I want a tw200. looking at the import rules now.
Also during my travels I have only seen one tw200 ?? maybe some one knows why they are not around where I live and travel? BC, Canada.

Rhode Trip

Adventurer
Maybe even a bit more. The stock KLR spring is pretty soft. I have a 2006 TW200 and a 2000 KLR650. That makes comparing pretty convenient :)
IMG_1282.jpg

2007 Tw200 and a 2006 Klr650. Mrs. Trip's TW has been lowered with a vstar shock and cut seat foam.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
IMG_1282.jpg

2007 Tw200 and a 2006 Klr650. Mrs. Trip's TW has been lowered with a vstar shock and cut seat foam.

Whatever it can carry the TW just looks like it would be a hoot to ride. The only disadvantage I can see with it -- which is probably just theoretical -- is that fat rear tire might be hard to replace in a hurry.

Off Topic...

My better half is (still) thinking about learning to ride. She's knee high to a grasshopper so the TW would work well for her. Or a Suzuki TU250X.

And I like the low fender on the KLR! :)

Bendix

+1 for the CT90 - bombproof, reliable, light and parts are nearly everywhere (Honda...). Its a no-brainer!

Rattlesnake Joe

The little Honda CT 90 or 110 is perfect for what you want and need. You can even buy two and put 'em front and rear. They are fun to ride and the two of you will have a blast riding together. No more books to read when you are bored. With the low price you can't go wrong. They can be sold or traded easily too.

D

Deleted member 9101

How about a Yamaha QT 50? It tops out at 35 with a 150 pound male on it, gets 100MPG and you can get parts in almost every dingle country on the planet...lol.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
You could go with a Yamaha TW200, it is a good bike but power limited, and by power limited I mean me weiging 220 lbs it would not go faster than 45 mph, and was not happy about climbing hills fast up in the mountains.

The TW200 is not a speed bike to be sure, it is a trail bike and is well suited for woods crawling with it's wide tire for flotation and ability to putt along at near walking speeds.

But 45 mph?? I weigh more like 275 and I can do 55 mph no problem, even on dirt roads.

wild1

Adventurer
TW speed

If your TW will only hit 45 with stock gearing it must be a few ponies short of a full load. My 2006 will easily hit 55 with close to 400 pounds two up. Having said that I agree that it's sounds much happier 10 miles an hour slower but it doesn't seem to faze it to run it right up to the stop.

Cody1771

Explorer
id vote for something in the 250 range, the Yamaha WR250R is a great bike but a bit pricey, its MSRP is about 1g more than the KLR. the KLX would be a good option to at a lower price range, or you could get something used and really get the price down.

JOnesbilt24

Klr 250 xrl 250 xt 250

Sir id go with any 4 stroke 250. I have to tell you that afer owning a plethora of Moto X 250'S the 4 stroke is the way to go imho. I currently own a DR 650 and feel it's too heavy and ungainly off road. A friend of mine rides a KLR 650 and I personally find it disappointing in the dirt ( ive always wanted one though). Any way my all time favorite trail bike would be my trusty 1985 KLR 250. I would pass up riding my KX and CR 250's for this bike, I once rode from 29 Palms Ca to Big bear off road on a compass heading and came back in the dark guided by its head light. Well just my ten cents. I will hopefully be mounting a late model XT 250 to the bumper of a Class B motor home for surf trips to baja. Well one day all going well. Good luck Evan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94