Which Jeep Model & Why?

Based on the number sold it is a must smaller percentage than years past. I have 17000 miles on s new jlur and it has been flawless. Best vehicle I have ever owned. Most of what you. Hear is just a small small number of folks.

ColeF

I just traded in my 2015 Rubicon with 3" lift and 35"'s for a 2017 GC Trailhawk and couldnt be happier. Just finished Hells Revenge this weekend and although it was definitely a scarier run in the GC it still made no problems. If you plan on doing anything more then a trail like Hells Revenge you need a Wrangler, if your like me and wont tempt anything more complicated then your day to day will be better spent in a GC.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Depends what kind of off roading you are doing. Maybe a Cherokee Trailhawk with the V6 and tow package would work. Rated to tow 5,000 lbs.
Wrangler or Grand Cherokee should work too. Drive all 3 and see which one you like best.

bluejeep

just a guy
well I am obviously biased - I recommend the 2005 or 2006 Jeep LJ Unlimited Rubicon. For me I don't need the 2nd row of seats, and the extra space for gear and/or laying down to sleep is wonderful. I drove a 1997 TJ for 20 years and thought it was great, with the only other Jeep I would ever want over it was the LJ. Then my dream machine came on the market (2006 LJ Rubicon dark blue 6 speed manual) and I traveled across 1/2 the country to pick it up after buying it over the phone sight unseen. No regrets and have never looked back. Looked into it's weak points (Oil Pump Drive Assy, exhaust manifold bolts loosening) and addressed those right away. Living the life now in my LJ

Bobzdar

Observer
For a DD, limit your search to bone stock wranglers and GC's. Don't get anything that's been lifted or had anything else mechanical done to it. If you do that, even a YJ makes a fairly decent DD. Once modified, they are anything from good to garbage on-road, and you won't know until you've driven it for a while. I'm not sure what the wk2 trailhawks are going for used, but they are extemely nice and will off-road with most stock wranglers on the same tires, rubicons excepted.

MOguy

Explorer
For a DD, limit your search to bone stock wranglers and GC's. Don't get anything that's been lifted or had anything else mechanical done to it. If you do that, even a YJ makes a fairly decent DD. Once modified, they are anything from good to garbage on-road, and you won't know until you've driven it for a while. I'm not sure what the wk2 trailhawks are going for used, but they are extemely nice and will off-road with most stock wranglers on the same tires, rubicons excepted.

??? Why not buy a modified Jeep?

I have never wheeled with a wk2 trail hawk, I know the older Grands could wheel. I have watched some videos of the wk2 trailhawk and they are nice but don't seem to impressive off road and apparently not much for modifications.

Not very impressive for harder off roading.

Last edited:

Bobzdar

Observer

I have never wheeled with a wk2 trail hawk, I know the older Grands could wheel. I have watched some videos of the wk2 trailhawk and they are nice but don't seem to impressive off road and apparently not much for modifications.

Death wobble, tire cupping, driveline vibrations etc. etc. For a DD, don't buy a modified Jeep unless you know it really well (ie have driven 500+ miles in it) or are prepared to redo all of the modifications when you find out the ball joints are undersized, driveline angles are wrong, the 2 steering stabilizers are there to kill nasty kickback etc.

There are multiple threads on here that give a much better overview of the wk2 trailhawk than that, I'd look at those threads first.

Fwiw, I've had around 6 Jeeps, some modified, some not. I also have experience in a Wk2 trailhawk and a GC Overland that family members own, including towing and some light off roading. I currently have a JLUR and an '89 Grand Wagoneer. I went out and bought a JLUR because I wanted the most capable Jeep I could get that didn't need any modifications. It's my DD; I've added a winch and roof rack, those are the extent of my planned modifications (maybe 35's, but it doesn't need a lift for them). However, based on the OP's description, he doesn't need a Rubicon, let alone other modifications. He needs a decent GC or stock Wrangler with a decent set of tires. Stick to a modern Wrangler with BLD or a GC with QT-2 and it'll be fine in almost anything. The trailhawk upgrades to QD-2 and air suspension, it will (in my limited experience) outwheel a stock base JK or TJ and be about even with one that has a Limited slip in the rear. A Rubicon or a JK/TJ with some mud terrains will be a different story, though. JL is out of the budget.

Don't get a modified one for a DD unless you like punishing yourself. If you do mostly on road and light off-roading, I'd look at a JK Sahara. They're kind of the best of both worlds with room to make modifications if you get into heavier off-roading but decent on-road manners and comfort (though not as nice as a GC). Having had both, I like the 4 door better than the 2 doors. They have the room to sleep in them, the 2 doors don't.

MOguy

Explorer
Death wobble, tire cupping, driveline vibrations etc. etc. For a DD, don't buy a modified Jeep unless you know it really well (ie have driven 500+ miles in it) or are prepared to redo all of the modifications when you find out the ball joints are undersized, driveline angles are wrong, the 2 steering stabilizers are there to kill nasty kickback etc.

There are multiple threads on here that give a much better overview of the wk2 trailhawk than that, I'd look at those threads first.

Fwiw, I've had around 6 Jeeps, some modified, some not. I also have experience in a Wk2 trailhawk and a GC Overland that family members own, including towing and some light off roading. I currently have a JLUR and an '89 Grand Wagoneer. I went out and bought a JLUR because I wanted the most capable Jeep I could get that didn't need any modifications. It's my DD; I've added a winch and roof rack, those are the extent of my planned modifications (maybe 35's, but it doesn't need a lift for them). However, based on the OP's description, he doesn't need a Rubicon, let alone other modifications. He needs a decent GC or stock Wrangler with a decent set of tires. Stick to a modern Wrangler with BLD or a GC with QT-2 and it'll be fine in almost anything. The trailhawk upgrades to QD-2 and air suspension, it will (in my limited experience) outwheel a stock base JK or TJ and be about even with one that has a Limited slip in the rear. A Rubicon or a JK/TJ with some mud terrains will be a different story, though. JL is out of the budget.

Don't get a modified one for a DD unless you like punishing yourself. If you do mostly on road and light off-roading, I'd look at a JK Sahara. They're kind of the best of both worlds with room to make modifications if you get into heavier off-roading but decent on-road manners and comfort (though not as nice as a GC). Having had both, I like the 4 door better than the 2 doors. They have the room to sleep in them, the 2 doors don't.

Any vehicle not properly maintained will have issues. vehicle properly built and maintained will not. Of course nothing is perfect so sometimes issue happen that are not expected but you can fix them. Anytime you deal with a modified vehicle or modify one yourself (without understanding things) you are asking for trouble. The OP says he wants a Jeep with off-road capabilities. That is pretty vague. if the OP can't better define his needs/want all we can do is guess.

I have seen enough of the videos of the new IFS and IRS crossover/SUVs jeeps to understand that the lack if you want to do any serious off roading you won't be happy. All these Jeeps are is odd shaped cars with a decent drive line. I am not saying there is anything wrong with them, they are nice vehicles.

Jeep has done a good job with their Wranglers keeping them off-road capable, not so much with their SUV/Crossovers. They have very cable drive lines but the suspension is not right for off-roading.

As far as one Jeep beating another? If you have the top end of one and the base level of others it isn't a fair comparison. A basic TJ with a lunch box locker and disconnecting the front sway locker will cost a fraction of a new Grand and out do it off road, but on road the Grand of course will be much nicer.

Last edited:

Bobzdar

Observer
Any vehicle not properly maintained will have issues. vehicle properly built and maintained will not. Of course nothing is perfect so sometimes issue happen that are not expected but you can fix them. Anytime you deal with a modified vehicle or modify one yourself (without understanding things) you are asking for trouble. The OP says he wants a Jeep with off-road capabilities. That is pretty vague. if the OP can't better define his needs/want all we can do is guess.

I have seen enough of the videos of the new IFS crossover/SUVs jeeps to understand that the lack if you want to do any serious off roading you won't be happy. All these Jeeps are is odd shaped cars with a decent drive line. I am not saying there is anything wrong with them, they are nice vehicles.

Jeep has done a good job with their Wranglers keeping them off-road capable, not so much with their SUV/Crossovers. They have very cable drive lines but the suspension is not right for off-roading.

As far as one Jeep beating another? If you have the top end of one and the base level of others it isn't a fair comparison. A basic TJ with a lunch box locker and disconnecting the front sway locker will cost a fraction of a new Grand and out do it off road, but on road the Grand of course will be much nicer.

All true - but I'll add this tidbit, which I think is somewhat important when talking about a DD. A top end (TrailHawk) GC will out off-road a base Wrangler, and will be better on road as well. A top end Wrangler (either Sahara for on-road or Rubicon for off) will never be better than a GC on-road, even though better off-road. So getting the best vehicle on road that accomplishes what you need off road (and no more) is the best choice for a DD. For some people (like you and I, I suppose) that's a Rubicon, for (far more) others, it's something more aligned with a GC. Given this is ex-po, OP is probably somewhere in the middle - trailhawk GC or Sahara with a limited slip rear probably would fit the bill - Wrangler probably more within budget depending on year. I love my Rubicon, but if I'm honest with myself a Sahara with a set of good tires and winch would have probably been a better DD for less money and been almost as difficult to get stuck.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer

I'm assuming you're basing that judgement on the truck sliding due to the crap stock tires. The first upgrade for any 4wd is better tires. The WK2 Trailhawk is an extremely impressive offroader. It will go anywhere a TRDPro 4runner will and will be significantly more comfortable doing it.

I've owned a JKU on 34s. It sucked to commute in. Loud due to tire and wind noise on the vertical windshield, slow, rode like crap.

If you are buying something to commute in first and do mild trails second, the GC is a far better choice than any Wrangler.

jadmt

ignore button user
i will say my brother who had never offroaded before climbed right up pough keepsie in his base jk sport (I spotted him up) and I had to use my winch to pull a woman up who was in a GC that had slightly bigger tires than stock she only wanted her male friend to spot her and she got very high centered. agree tho any GC is going to be a nicer car for on road stuff. i would not trade my Rubicon for one regardless and I can do 800-1000 mile days in my lifted rubicon no problem. I live in Missoula MT and we drive to and from Moab UT in one shot no problem. Did the Rubicon Trail and drove home from Reno in one stint with no issues.

MOguy

Explorer
As far as off road, a new grand is ok for lighter trails which we all can agree on. On road the GC is comfy, agreed. For family drives I have a GMC Acadia Denali AWD with all the bells and whistles and like the Grand very comfortable (I would never dream of the Acadia as an off road vehicle). Like the Grand it is great for family outings and getting groceries but lacks personality and boring as hell. I had an older style Grand in the past, boring as hell.

I have driven my TJ back and forth very CA and TN and CA and MO many times. A few times bulling a trailer and one time 27 hours is straight driving. I enjoy driving my TJ.

The new grand is a dead end, I know you can fit a fridge, a roof top tent and an awning and that is fine for some but there isn't much you can do with it as far as improving its off road ability.

I also have a 79 K30 that I like.

The Wrangler is a special vehicle the grand is bland.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
I'm assuming you're basing that judgement on the truck sliding due to the crap stock tires. The first upgrade for any 4wd is better tires. The WK2 Trailhawk is an extremely impressive offroader. It will go anywhere a TRDPro 4runner will and will be significantly more comfortable doing it.

I've owned a JKU on 34s. It sucked to commute in. Loud due to tire and wind noise on the vertical windshield, slow, rode like crap.

If you are buying something to commute in first and do mild trails second, the GC is a far better choice than any Wrangler.
I am basing my decision on its suspension and it's lack of travel. You can change tires but your stuck with its suspension.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I am basing my decision on its suspension and it's lack of travel. You can change tires but your stuck with its suspension.

I see you drive a TJ. Have you ever driven a newer Jeep JK, JL or WK with ELSD and 4lo traction control? If works amazingly well and will move the vehicle forward with opposing corner tires in the air. Lack of travel is one thing. Inability to continue to move forward is another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior