Which Jeep Model & Why?

Out on the trail anything can happen In my view limp home is better than tow home. I never had an issue withthe sway bars disconnect. I imagine you could just crawl under there and push back to where it is supposed to be. Couldn't be much worse than a manual discconect? I think if you go deep enough you gonna flood something out.

MOguy

Explorer
Out on the trail anything can happen In my view limp home is better than tow home. I never had an issue withthe sway bars disconnect. I imagine you could just crawl under there and push back to where it is supposed to be. Couldn't be much worse than a manual discconect? I think if you go deep enough you gonna flood something out.

His JKU would start and run but when you pushed on the gas pedal nothing happened and when you put it into gear it would just die. Air cleaner was dry. He got home, took of the fan belt, replaced an idler of tensioner pulley, put it back together and it worked. It happened in a mud hole, deep enough to get you stuck but not to kill the motor. . Granted you would not want to run it with a seized pulley but it would start and the belt and pulleys all seemed fine, it just couldn't move. There was no mud up buy the pulleys. He was also the one with the power steering issue and another in the group on the same trip had the disconnect problem.

I just started getting back into the harder off-roading, so my exposure to the newer wrangler and harder core wheeling with them is limited.

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
His JKU would start and run but when you pushed on the gas pedal nothing happened and when you put it into gear it would just die.

couple years ago in Moab there were 4 jks, one built toyota and 2 tj's in our group and we were on Golden spike and right before golden crack on of the TJs broke down. It was a long night. I have wheeled a lot and have been to Moab many times, did the rubicon trail and dusy ershim and colorado trails and more Montana trails then I can count and mostly go with JK's and TJ's and never once has a jk broke down. Not saying it won't happen but so far so good.

MOguy

Explorer
couple years ago in Moab there were 4 jks, one built toyota and 2 tj's in our group and we were on Golden spike and right before golden crack on of the TJs broke down. It was a long night. I have wheeled a lot and have been to Moab many times, did the rubicon trail and dusy ershim and colorado trails and more Montana trails then I can count and mostly go with JK's and TJ's and never once has a jk broke down. Not saying it won't happen but so far so good.

A TJ is going to be about 13 - 22 years old at this point so I would expect more break downs from a TJ than a newer JK.

The trails we were on were very muddy and we did some water crossings. I am sure that is what caused the issues.

Last edited:

pittsburgh

tacocat
This thread might be getting off topic with TJ vs JK/JL stuff.

OP is willing to spend $25k I doubt a 13-22 year old jeep is going to be the winner for daily commuting. I did some daily commuting in my LJ but I worked 12 hour shifts, I was able to deal with it for a while.

Once you drive something more modern and nicer its tough to use an old jeep for everyday driving especially if you are commuting long distances with lots of high speed highways. My LJ is ok but it doesn't handle tight enough or accelerate hard enough for me, especially when I have a Tacoma sitting infant of my house too. I could probably handle my LJ for commuting since it does put a smile on my face but I would definitely invest in some gears and maybe a little rehab lol. But I don't think it will ever drive as nice as a JLU or GC.

@TRoss32 have you chimed back in on this thread? What jeep models are on your radar?

MOguy

Explorer
This thread might be getting off topic with TJ vs JK/JL stuff.

OP is willing to spend $25k I doubt a 13-22 year old jeep is going to be the winner for daily commuting. I did some daily commuting in my LJ but I worked 12 hour shifts, I was able to deal with it for a while.

Once you drive something more modern and nicer its tough to use an old jeep for everyday driving especially if you are commuting long distances with lots of high speed highways. My LJ is ok but it doesn't handle tight enough or accelerate hard enough for me, especially when I have a Tacoma sitting infant of my house too. I could probably handle my LJ for commuting since it does put a smile on my face but I would definitely invest in some gears and maybe a little rehab lol. But I don't think it will ever drive as nice as a JLU or GC.

@TRoss32 have you chimed back in on this thread? What jeep models are on your radar?

Because you have 25k doesn't mean you have to spend it. There are also mods to think about.

A newer Wrangler does have more bells and whistles but as far as ride? A newer vehicle should require less maintainace. My TJ rides nice and has been very dependable. The TJ/LJ are easy to maintain. With good shocks and springs, esp shocks a TJ can ride nice. With the wrong shocks any vehicle will ride like crap. If noise is an issue get a hard top.

If comfort is that critical than a Wrangler may not be the right vehicle. If off roading is a priority a Wrangler (newer or older) is hard to beat, esp a Rubicon addtion.

It doesn't seem the OP has posted anything since his first post so it is hard to tell what his wants really are.

Last edited:

Thorsten

I really like the new JL, and will probably pickup a 4dr Rubicon in a year or two. That said...

The poor WK2 doesn't get enough near enough credit. The majority of the folks on here (at least in the USA) are going on "expeditions" or overland trips that involve driving on fireroads to camp sites.

I just came across this YouTube video of a WK2 and Nissan Patrol climbing slick rock shelves in Australia. This is just a stock base WK2 with Quadra Trac II, not even the top model with the best traction control system -- and it puts on a great showing.

Heavy wheeling / rock climbing I am with you, it's a whole other game ... choose the right tool for the job. I have a Tacoma for that and I'd love a wrangler someday, but 99% of the "overland" series I see on YouTube a WK2 would be a great platform for.

vanmichel

I really like the new JL, and will probably pickup a 4dr Rubicon in a year or two. That said...

The poor WK2 doesn't get enough near enough credit. The majority of the folks on here (at least in the USA) are going on "expeditions" or overland trips that involve driving on fireroads to camp sites.

I just came across this YouTube video of a WK2 and Nissan Patrol climbing slick rock shelves in Australia. This is just a stock base WK2 with Quadra Trac II, not even the top model with the best traction control system -- and it puts on a great showing.

Heavy wheeling / rock climbing I am with you, it's a whole other game ... choose the right tool for the job. I have a Tacoma for that and I'd love a wrangler someday, but 99% of the "overland" series I see on YouTube a WK2 would be a great platform for.

I can reemphasize this post. I had a 2015 JKUR that I purchased new and it was a DD for two years. For fun factor--you cant beat it and it's obviously superior for more extreme off road conditions.

But now I have a Wk2 Limited with QTII that I dd. I was actually looking for another JKUR or JKR and test drove a few. I forgot how bad they actually ride and how small they are.

I miss being able to take the doors and top off, but the ride (and MPG) makes up for it. For me, I knew that my vehicle would be on the road 80-90% of its life.

I may add a TJ down the road as a "toy" but even the cost of my wk2+a TJ would be less than my purchase price of the JKUR.

pittsburgh

tacocat
I can reemphasize this post. I had a 2015 JKUR that I purchased new and it was a DD for two years. For fun factor--you cant beat it and it's obviously superior for more extreme off road conditions.

But now I have a Wk2 Limited with QTII that I dd. I was actually looking for another JKUR or JKR and test drove a few. I forgot how bad they actually ride and how small they are.

I miss being able to take the doors and top off, but the ride (and MPG) makes up for it. For me, I knew that my vehicle would be on the road 80-90% of its life.

I may add a TJ down the road as a "toy" but even the cost of my wk2+a TJ would be less than my purchase price of the JKUR.

I have a Tacoma and an TJ/LJ and I am always tempted to ditch both for a new Jeep but the 4door truck is so practical for my #dadlife lol.

Living in the city with 3 cars is getting kind of old, but I am pretty sure I would regret selling the LJ.

PCO6

Adventurer
Because you have 25k doesn't mean you have to spend it. ...

I did! :) For just over $25,000 CDN I bought a TJ, LJ, XJ & MJ. All 4 were in great original condition and all are daily drivers. I use some over others for specific reasons but they cover my needs nicely. I always have something to drive and something to wrench on.

Doing_Dirt

Very interested in this thread. I've been looking for a new mid size truck and did not consider Jeep at first. I was really worried about all the engine fires reported and just wanted a bed for bikes or moving a dresser or something, but not really mandatory.

After reading through this, a 4 door wrangler is now on my list.

Can someone please explain the difference between the sport, Sahara, Rubicon and any other model? I've already figured that the Rubicon is top dog if I'm reading these threads right.

sport is your basic. I M DRIVING A loaner right now 6 spped manual cloth seats basic rag top NIce but not like my rubicon . The Sahara is sort of the luxury model you can get it with fulltime 4wheel drive, ( this year) leather nice ride slightly bigger wheels good alllaround jeep with a touch of lux. The Rubicon is the top dog fear no trail go anywhere anytime resuce other lesser vehicles. YOu can the last 2 with leather heated seats killer stereo and allth eamanties you want. but it costs. The question is what do you want to do with it.

Doing_Dirt

The question is what do you want to do with it.
I owe my family a camping trip for starters. No RV park with plug ins, but a real wilderness experience. I would love to make the epic trips like Moab or the Rubicon Trail. It wouldn't be a daily driver so I can build slowly as my pay checks allows.

Go rubicon. You can go anywhere straight out of the box You can sell the stock tires fit 315 70 17 with no lift. If you get the winch ready bumper add a winch plate and a winch. You’ll be fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier