Which Jeep Model & Why?

Doing_Dirt

Go rubicon. You can go anywhere straight out of the box You can sell the stock tires fit 315 70 17 with no lift. If you get the winch ready bumper add a winch plate and a winch. You’ll be fine
Is there a year I must avoid at all cost? I may shop for an older (pre-2010) with the lowest miles if I choose not to finance a newer one.

billiebob

I may shop for an older (pre-2010)
So pre 2010 will be the 3.8 V6. In 2012 they introduced the 3.6 V6, light years ahead of the 3.8. Way better gas mileage. 2006 and older gets the bullet proof 4.0L straight 6. Proven Jeep TOUGH for over 30 years.

The bad Wrangler years were 2007 thru 2011. Not like Pinto gas tank bad, but definitely a point to negotiate ptice.

Last edited:
That would be a 3.8 which although underpowered is bullet proof the 3.8 is a minivan motor and has survived countless soccer mons whst red light on the dash? No seriously i blew the intake manifold gasket practically ran the radiator dry and the motor just did fine that being said the 3.6 is way better just avoid the very early 2012s

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
So pre 2010 will be the 3.8 V6. In 2012 they introduced the 3.6 V6, light years ahead of the 3.8. Way better gas mileage. 2006 and older gets the bullet proof 4.0L straight 6. Proven Jeep TOUGH for over 30 years.

The bad Wrangler years were 2007 thru 2011. Not like Pinto gas tank bad, but definitely a point to negotiate ptice.

More like 19 years

That would be a 3.8 which although underpowered is bullet proof the 3.8 is a minivan motor and has survived countless soccer mons whst red light on the dash? No seriously i blew the intake manifold gasket practically ran the radiator dry and the motor just did fine that being said the 3.6 is way better just avoid the very early 2012s
I think the 3.8 was underatted, if anything. Not sophisticated by any means, but it was a good engine. I think the driveability of the early JKs was let down by the four speed transmission. A five speed would have made a world of difference to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94