Which (metal) stock are you using?

WUzombies

Adventurer
What are the material choices you are using in your fabrication projects? I have a full length roof rack, front and rear bumpers on the menu for my winter projects and am putting together the detailed plans right now. For instance for the roof rack I'm primarily building out of 1" OD tubing and have made a choice on the type of tubing and wall thickness to give me the strength I need while not weighing a ton. My civil engineer wife ran the calculations for the projected spans and gave it her approval.

However, curiousity got to me and thought I would ask which materials you chose for your fabrication needs.

gmwelder86

Adventurer
What I have on hand typical and for the most part it's .120 wall tubing and 1/8" flat stock in various widths. These handle most of my needs, anything with a lot of planing will usually get its own trip to the metal yard. For my next rack build on the rear of my jk will mainly be built out of .120 1" tubing the was left over from another project. Overkill yes but it's in the shop already.

WUzombies

Adventurer
I forgot to say that my plan is with 1018 1"OD 0.120...that's what I get for trying to post while the kids were still up!

bat

Explorer
.120 in my opinion is overkill for a roof, I normally use .065 on small racks and .095 on bigger racks

rack1 00003.jpg021.jpg

rack1 00009 (Large) (2).JPG

highdesertranger

Adventurer
I agree .120 is an overkill for a roof rack. maybe a few select pieces like main cross bar. but I would say .063 or .090 is fine. highdesertranger

Wurlamatic

Generally, I cruise behind the local thrift stores and usually one of them has donated an incomplete bed frame, those old school ones on casters. Cut it up and rearrange it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94