which newer full size 1/2 ton is the best overland platform

Clutch

<---Pass
I tend to agree. I'm heavily brand loyal to Toyota but honestly for a 1/2 ton I'd be looking in the Big 3 direction.
If you ask me the USFS trucks have it about right for a truck designed to bounce around dirt roads and whatever. Basic models, 4WD, some front end protection with a winch. Put on a camper shell, bolt in a fridge and throw in some gear and you're done.

View attachment 405388

I went and looked at a oh so minty green FS F250 yesterday during lunch, to toss on a POS roached out Alaskan camper I found...dealer asked me what brand I preferred, told him I don't care anymore, they are all junk! He got a chuckle. :D

He didn't care for the green...asked me if I would wanted painted white, told him nope I will just beat the ******** out of it, much better to drag through the brush and rocks, if you don't care about the paint. ;)

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I'm not a person to care about engine noise. If I could opt for an e-car silent engine, I'd do that. Coyote V8 is a nice engine, though. So is Chevy's 5.3. Although if I were to do it my way, I'd get an F150 XL HD Payload with the Chevy 4.6.

Me either! To each his own but the only sound I want to hear when I'm driving is coming out of my stereo system. I want to hear NOTHING from the drivetrain, especially when I'm driving for 12 hours straight. You want to listen to your V8 growl for that long??

And the concern abou turbos makes me smile. I've been driving turbodiesels for many years, and nearly all the people I know have also (seems to be a status thing around here). I've yet to hear of one turbo failure. Why would a turbo on a gas engine be any different?

D45

Explorer
Yeah, you definitely have issues. Poor throttle response, premature spark plug failure, low fuel economy. I don't blame you for not being happy with it.

Poor throttle response is not just on my truck, it seems to be on every electronic throttle driven vehicle......even worse on most/all Ecoboost vehicles

I solved this issue with the Pedal Commander, works great and love the throttle response now

The spark plug issue also is not just exclusive to my truck.......it is a problem plagued on the Ecoboost trucks. With the iridium plugs, they should last MUCH MUCH longer than 20,000 miles. But for 20 minutes of my time and under $40, it is an easy part of routine maintenance.

Fuel mileage..........well I know plenty of people that sold their 3.5L trucks, solely because of this issue. However, I will say in my case I do have a 2"-3" lift kit and 34" tall tires, which could play part of a role in the low fuel mileage arena. I would guess that the truck also was not reprogrammed for compensate for the taller tires. I believe 31" tall tires came stock?

Again, I like the truck, the ride quality is pretty good, and love the fit and finish. The interior room and creature comforts are VERY nice. The towing and payload capacity can't be touched for a half ton truck

XJLI

Adventurer
I've had auto lockers in Chevy before. They work great in the Chevy demos, but I've never had good luck with them. I think calling them a locker is a stretch.

They're a strong limited slip. I have 33s on my 1500, and it definitely does work. It isn't an ARB but it gets both wheels spinning which is all I need it to do.

hikingff77

Adventurer
I was a Toyota fanboy for about a decade until I had to go full size to carry a larger camper and our newborn. Went to a FX4 F-150 with the larger Ecoboost motor. Gets 20 mpg unloaded and 16 carrying our four wheel camper and all the goodies. It's a fantastic setup for what I needed. I installed the bilstein 5100s (as recommended above) as well as firestone airbags in the rear. Easily fits 35" K02s (used 2017 Raptor takeoffs) with no other modification. My wife calls it the trail limo. (yes, I'm very stuck in the last photo...)

LVCgIYh.jpg

hxPJJtI.jpg

uwsOJwv.jpg

CL9AlOA.jpg
I know it's the stock front bumper, but what model is is on? All the Fx4's?

HayStax

My FIL has a ‘13 F150 and a FWC - nice combo. He added airbags and doesn’t set any speed or mileage records but it’s been very reliable. Not much room in the super cab, needs a wheel change to get away from 20”. Still a very nice simple setup.

I might be having a mid-life crisis but I bought a Raptor. I grew up in and owned just about every model of Ford F-350 made since 1978. Still have all the good ones, traded in a couple bad ones (‘90&’06). So far the Raptor is working out great. Looked all over for a 801A package with the right options and a dealer who wasn’t crazy, that took a few months. Overall it wasn’t much more than the parts to build up a stock F150. Add labor and it’s a wash.

So far it has seen 500 miles of pavement and 1500 miles of dirt. Couldn’t ask for anything better in both environments. Pulled a small trailer to elk camp like it wasn’t even back there, tongue weight on sing,e axle cargo trailer could have been better but not too bad. Considering I was hauling 4 wall tents, stoves, gear, beer, water and food for 12+ for 2 weeks I think we exceeded any future family expedition needs.

What’s next? Maybe custom “tray” and canopy. Maybe a composite cube. Maybe a composite toy trailer/bunkhouse. It’s a good platform even if haters gonna hate don’t rule it out

Mr.Roadwarrior

I am looking to downsize from my current ram 2500 with cummins to a gas powered crew cab 1/2 ton. will be daily driven with some overland modifications:
mild lift maybe 33" tires
decked drawer system with rack over it
bumpers and possible lockers

I am not brand loyal. Is any platform easier to start with? am leaning towards f150 with 5.0.

I just bought an '18 Silverado new...got a great price. high end LTZ, 4wd, crew cab shortbed, GM builds in the G80 rear locker on their higher end trucks too. It's not as good as a Detroit but I haven't had any problems so far. definitely love my decked system and cap. I would strongly recommend the best engine you can get...I wanted the bigger engine but could not find it in anyone's inventory....next time I buy (which i hope is never), I'll order custom to my specs.

Truck2.jpg

Truck5.jpg
Truck1.jpg

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
The best 1/2 ton overland platform is a Ram Powerwagon. 3/4 ton running gear and durability with soft riding coils that support a load like a half ton. There is zero reason to overload any half ton when that truck is available for the same price.

Think about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier