Which One? 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Taco or Tundra

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
BajaTaco said:
is worse than that if equipped with expedition kit. Likely 15+ mpg at best, and dipping below 12mpg at worst.

Aye, but if one must spend $ for another vehicle with better fuel mileage, the total cost of ownership may be worse. You can buy a lot of fuel for the cost of changing vehicles.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
bigreen505 said:
I'm just asking here, having never seen one close up, but would it be possible to build a sleeping platform that would be high enough to go over a fridge, but still allow enough room not to feel claustrophobic?

Not with the standard top-opening fridges we are used to seeing. However, Scott mentioned something about a drawer type of fridge, with low height. I haven't checked into those yet.

pskhaat said:
Aye, but if one must spend $ for another vehicle with better fuel mileage, the total cost of ownership may be worse. You can buy a lot of fuel for the cost of changing vehicles.

Agreed. However, for me personally, I would choose something with better fuel economy and lower emissions if I could do so within my means.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Pickup or wagon is a personal choice.
The wagon has easily accessible interior & tidy packaging. pickup is great for very flexible cargo carrying options.

I've used the 4th gen 03-05 4Runner for 3 years of wheeling and offroad trips.

It's nice to see Scott Brady is finally convinced how great it is after poo-pooing mine for a couple years:shakin: :D

The V8 4R is a great platform to build off if you are going for a wagon. Check out toyota120.com for like minded 4R owners and many ideas.

For a pickup, really there is no better reference than a visit to Bajataco.com:bowdown: also, desertdude's site has great buildup pics of his tacoma- great ideas there as well. I think it's homepage.mac.com/desertdude

I think a king cab Tundra V8 would be a good choice if only b/c you can probably get a great deal on one and it's a good truck.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
A bit OT here. This is a PM I sent to Bajataco and he said I should post it, so here it is.
(From Bajataco)
Quote:

Yes, I am suggesting the 4runner (V8 version, which he said they currently own) is worse than that if equipped with expedition kit. Likely 15+ mpg at best, and dipping below 12mpg at worst. Maybe Dave can give us an idea of what his is getting in stock form for comparison.

I know this is not an even comparison, but my Dad's Suburban, loaded with four people, 16 pairs of race skis and assorted equipment runs around 19 mpg (about 18-20 avg., 14.5 was the worst ever on a high speed run to Kansas City, MO in massive rain in 4WD Auto mode) with the V8 and 4.10 diff. If Nissan, or Toyota for that matter, can give me a 4.0 V6 with 265+ hp that gets an EPA (meaning I have no idea what they really get) 19-21 mpg, why can't they give me something a little smaller with 175 hp that gets 35 mpg? I freely admit to being ignorant, but I just don't get it.

The difference in $$ over 100,000 mi between the Toyota V8 at your estimated 15 mpg and Graham's Rover at his claimed 28-30 mpg (assuming $3/gas and $3.20/diesel) is $10,000. That is a lot of trips!

gjackson

FRGS
The difference in $$ over 100,000 mi between the Toyota V8 at your estimated 15 mpg and Graham's Rover at his claimed 28-30 mpg (assuming $3/gas and $3.20/diesel) is $10,000. That is a lot of trips!

28-30mpg highway. Wheeling it can go to 32mpg, while soft sand can drop to as low as 20mpg. I'd use 25 as a safe average! So that's only $7000 difference. But still an eye opener!! :Wow1:

I love diesel!! :jump: Of course you also have to consider that I can't cruise at 75mph. I can get 70 on flat highway, 75 pushing it but drop to 45mph pretty quickly on steep grades. There are a lot of people that sort of speed just would be acceptable to. With the fuel economy comes lower bhp, and mine can only put out 115. (But I can get to 135 if I upgrade the turbo and intercooler while keeping the same (or better) fuel economy).

Don't forget, expedition trucks are all compromise!

cheers

Last edited:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
bigreen505 said:
but I just don't get it

I don't either really, but power/efficiency ratios are not linear in engine design. If the engine torque and gearing (and thus HP) is not matched to your vehicle in weight and terrain, you'll suffer.

Diesel's are nice because you get a relatively flat HP curve in comparison to the steep & deep torque curve, and thus your torque run-up/down is so much more manageable for heavy-load and long-haul applications (okay as well as you get more BTUs out of diesel than gasoline).

Yeah my FZJ80 is brutal on gasoline. At best 18mpg unloaded soft pedalling. Laden down at well over GVWR, I can manage 14mpg, but that's on the high side. What kills me is that at 4.5l I should be a scream demon, any GM powerplant at 4.5l would produce twice the HP and better mileage, alas Toyota engineering doesn't work that way :ylsmoke:

Also empirical engineering states that efficiency and reliability are inversely related. In any given application I can have either/or without changing the whole design like a different kind of powerplant.

imagodave

Adventurer
BajaTaco said:
Yes, I am suggesting the 4runner (V8 version, which he said they currently own) is worse than that if equipped with expedition kit. Likely 15+ mpg at best, and dipping below 12mpg at worst. Maybe Dave can give us an idea of what his is getting in stock form for comparison.

Last weekend trip in V8 4Runner Stock with 200# gear to 7500' up in the Sierras 3 adult passagers 18.5mpg, with 36 miles offroad. If I open up exhaust with TRD or equiv. and go to cold air intake like my Tundra service trucks, should add 1 to 1.2mpg.

Dave

imagodave

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
Take the 4Runner from the wife. You already own it. Then buy her a vehicle with good mileage.

The 4Runner with a Chaser would be a killer combination IMHO.

Oh, and welcome to ExPo :)

Thanx, This is probably the route I will be going. Is there a extra fuel tank for 4th gen 4runners?

Dave

asteffes

Explorer
imagodave said:
Last weekend trip in V8 4Runner Stock with 200# gear to 7500' up in the Sierras 3 adult passagers 18.5mpg, with 36 miles offroad. If I open up exhaust with TRD or equiv. and go to cold air intake like my Tundra service trucks, should add 1 to 1.2mpg.

Dave

That's impressive. You don't believe a CAI is a liability on an off-road vehicle?

Scott Brady

Founder
Life_in_4Lo said:
It's nice to see Scott Brady is finally convinced how great it is after poo-pooing mine for a couple years:shakin: :D

Oh, I am a convert now... :beer: Especially with the rounded wheel openings now and the more powerful (with same mileage) V8.

In fact, I cant even remember poo-pooing yours now :elkgrin:

imagodave

Adventurer
Bought a FJ Cruiser

Been away on a large project so sorry for the delay in this. Could not get my wife to part with her 4Runner after going and driving a Hybrid Camry and other cars. :mad: If mama ain't happy, no one's happy. So I went for the yellow FJC with 6 sp manual. :luxhello:
Having a blast driving it for about 5 days now. Will be outfitting it and thank you all for your input. I plan to add a matching Yellow Chaser to it as Scott suggested with the 4Runner. Yellow with Yellow, my Solar business will benefit with advertising on it too! I am working out my list and order of upgrades as they become available. Thanks for your suggestions!:suning:

Scott Brady

Founder
Congrats!

You will not be dissapointed with the Chaser or the FJ.

And I agree about the marketing with the yellow units. Rolling add space :)

asteffes

Explorer
imagodave said:
Your right I do have to rethink for offroad. Maybe a Snorkel or I have seen where some are routing air intake on gen 4 4Runners to inside the cab, with a TRD air filter or whatever you'all recommend over stock air filtration for V8 4Runner.

http://yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=25167&highlight=snorkel

Dave

I would just stick with stock. Get a snorkel if you want one, but I don't really see the point of other induction mods. There's endless debate about filtration vs. airflow, convenience of re-usable filters, power vs. longevity. It's all quite tiresome and I'm not going to go there.

Last edited:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
imagodave said:
So I went for the yellow FJC with 6 sp manual. :luxhello:

... I plan to add a matching Yellow Chaser to it...

:jumping: Congratulations! We look forward to some reports.

By the way, I really like the avatar. Especially for a solar guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94