Which propane camping fire

WOODY2

Adventurer
propane camp fire

I'm using the OUTLAND firepit and I puts out about 60,000 BTU's Key to making it work is the placement of the pumice rocks. I keep a pair of BBQ tongs in bag to reposition the stones for either max heat or light. It can be ordered with a carrying bag that keeps everything in place and safe.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I'm using the OUTLAND firepit . . . .

This one available from Amazon and Costco?

350-1001125-847__3.jpg

http://www.costco.com/Outland-18"-Portable-Propane-Fire-Bowl-Premium.product.100222798.html

FJRanger

I like getting lost...
Well, I'm counting myself lucky. We got our money from the KS campaign and put it toward a snow peak. However, we're still looking for a propane fueled pit for the areas with an active burn ban. Thanks for pointing me toward the quikfire.com, I'm liking it's compact size.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Did Campfire in a can go out of business? If so current recommendations on a good little portable?

I have a Little Red Campfire I bought about a year ago and have used it maybe 4-5 trips now. I'm happy with it... I don't think any propane fire will be as good as a real wood fire, but the LRC certainly has enough heat output to keep you warm while standing/sitting next to it (definitely better than no fire when the gov takes us all for idiots and bans wood fires outright).

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-58031-Campfire-Portable-Propane/dp/B000O51VJ0

I almost bought a CFIAC, it's size was just a hair too big for packing into the rig though. Too bad, it looked like a quality product, but now I feel better that I bought what I did.
The LRC is made in China, sad to report, but seems decently-enough made.
With a 20lb propane bottle, I used it 6 nights (about 3-5 hours each night) at a low-medium setting and still had about 1/4 of the bottle left (so probably would've been good for 8 nights total). Fully cranked up it puts out almost 3 feet of flames.

4x4junkie

Explorer
CFIAC was made is China as well...likely in the same factory. Quikfire is made in the USA with the exception of the propane control valve.

That's interesting, I recall reading several Amazon reviews stating that it was made here... ? (of course they aren't there anymore) Oh well, guess it don't matter now anyway.

perkj

Explorer
That's interesting, I recall reading several Amazon reviews stating that it was made here... ? (of course they aren't there anymore) Oh well, guess it don't matter now anyway.

It was never made in the US according to Leo....he always sourced the manufacturing out of China.

JeepTreeHouse

Adventurer
Is the only way to order a quickfire from the quickfire.com website? I was somehow hoping to get one by Thursday of this week on the east coast (Maryland). Firewood transport bans keep me from bringing any good (dry) wood, and buying local only yields green wet wood. This would definitely fit the bill.

perkj

Explorer
Is the only way to order a quickfire from the quickfire.com website? I was somehow hoping to get one by Thursday of this week on the east coast (Maryland). Firewood transport bans keep me from bringing any good (dry) wood, and buying local only yields green wet wood. This would definitely fit the bill.

Try contacting Mike (owner of Quikfire) directly as he may be able to 2-day one to you: mike@quikfire.com

FJRanger

I like getting lost...
I think so. That's how I ordered ours. Just make sure to leave out the "c" in quick:D

From the website it looked like there are some retail stores who sell them but I don't think there are any in your next of the woods. Try contacting them to see if they'd overnight it; it'd be costly but if you need it... sent you a pm.

We recently received our and have tested it. It works and can put out a lot of heat at sea level. We'll give it a go this summer at elevation and see how it does.

edit: perkj, beat me to it:sombrero:

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Two camping weekends using the Camp Chef and the family is sold. Easy on/off, small package, common fuel source, no smoke, and cooks marshmallows like a boss. Worth every penny.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
It's June 1st and annual BLM campfire bans for Central Oregon (the Prineville District) have begun. A new thing I'm noticing this year is explicitly calling out portable propane campfires in the ban. I've been in the market for one... now I'm kinda wondering if I should bother. Are others seeing this type of exclusion for portable propane in areas you frequent also?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles