which truck for a Pop-up Camper

Umnak

Adventurer
Howdy,

A long time ago, when I was a sea kayaking guide in the high arctic, I would ask a simple question of the clients on the first night's camp. That question was either: (a) what's the best touring kayak? or (b) is a brace more important than a roll? I know there isn't a correct answer to either question, but it did get the group talking, and helped me understand them better. It also let me know who I would most likely not rescue if the need arose -- just kidding.

So, what is the best -- or most often selected -- truck for carrying a pop-up camper? I ask because within a couple of years, when we've finished our nomadic roaming of the the NA continent we will probably retire our Sprinter and purchase a pop-up camper. That will require a truck, which will be a 1/2 ton 4x4 with a small access cab or whatever truck makers call the scrunchy space behind the front seats. I expect it will also have a 6' bed. Other than that, I'm open for suggestions. We've not settled on a camper, but have in mind something that doesn't hang well over the sides or the tail. If I were to chose right now it would either be a EarthCruiser GZL or a FWC Fleet. And yes, I know these are light weight to begin with and the Tacoma or Ranger type of truck are supposed to be fine, but I read too much and am concerned about pushing the payload to capacity on bad roads.

So, let me say at the outset that I appreciate all of the responses that will follow.

Joseph http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/150556-2-3-Years-Around-North-America

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
I'm sure you will have no trouble selling your Sprinter when the time comes.

As you say, the weight of the popup plus your passengers and gear will determine the size of the truck. The lightest of popups tends to put midsize pickups (and some off-road specialty pickups like the Ford Raptor) close to the edge of their stated carrying capacity. That's why many Toyota Tacoma owners choose to upgrade their suspension, often by adding airbags to level the load. Airbags don't increase the carrying capacity, however. And they certainly don't increase the strength of the truck frame, drivetrain or brakes, all of which will be improved when you move to the fullsize truck category.

Popup campers come in all sizes and weights. I know it's difficult to anticipate what you'll need a couple of years from now. Dream up a configuration, and we'll go bench racing with you to choose a truck.

Umnak

Adventurer
I'm sure you will have no trouble selling your Sprinter when the time comes.

The weight of the popup plus your passengers and gear will determine the size of the truck. The lightest of popups tends to put midsize pickups (and some off-road specialty pickups like the Ford Raptor) close to the edge of their stated carrying capacity. That's why many Toyota Tacoma owners have to upgrade their suspension, often by adding airbags to level the load. Airbags don't increase the carrying capacity, however. And they certainly don't increase the strength of the truck frame, drivetrain or brakes, all of which will be improved when you move to the fullsize truck category.

thanks for the response. As I noted above, I do plan on a 1/2 ton full size truck. What's your choice?

Umnak

Adventurer
Why not a 3/4 or 1-ton? Not much bigger than a 1/2 ton but a bit more suited for the weight.
Well, I'm hoping to keep it to a 1/2 ton just in terms of size, though I guess if I bought an older truck before everything became supersized it could work. Which one would you suggest?

rotti

Adventurer
Why not a 3/4 or 1-ton? Not much bigger than a 1/2 ton but a bit more suited for the weight.

Exactly.

My light weight FWC Hawk is 1360 pounds dry. Loaded, wet, 2 people and a big dog I'm packing a bit over a ton. I like being UNDER my 3/4 ton trucks max payload by 600 pounds. Personally, I wouldn't and didn't consider a 1/2 ton.

Size wise the GM twins and Rams are essentially the same size 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I have an FWC Eagle on a Tacoma and it handles very well despite also having an Aluminess rear bumper and ARB front bumper w/winch. I did upgrade to and OME lift with heavy springs and an extra leaf.

There are a lot of Tacoma/Fleet combos out there handling some pretty rough roads.

I would only go to a bigger truck if I was considering a flatbed, I like the ability of the Taco/Eagle to fit through tight places.

NikonRon

Adventurer
X2 on what Charlie said. I basically have same set up as Charlie except mine is extended cab.If I went with a full size truck it would most certainly be a 3/4 ton. Ron

Cent

Observer
Question to the Tacoma guys: Aren't you unconfortable about the fact that you are above GVWR when on the road (whith passengers, gear and so on you can hardly be under..)?

Umnak

Adventurer
Exactly.

My light weight FWC Hawk is 1360 pounds dry. Loaded, wet, 2 people and a big dog I'm packing a bit over a ton. I like being UNDER my 3/4 ton trucks max payload by 600 pounds. Personally, I wouldn't and didn't consider a 1/2 ton.

Size wise the GM twins and Rams are essentially the same size 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton.

Thanks, I can understand the desire to have more payload capacity, I'm not sure that I'd need as much if we went with the GZL or even a Fleet. However, if the trucks are the same size then perhaps it isn't as much of an issue as I originally thought.

Umnak

Adventurer
Question to the Tacoma guys: Aren't you unconfortable about the fact that you are above GVWR when on the road (whith passengers, gear and so on you can hardly be under..)?

Charlie ( really like your tag of feral geezer) and NikonRon, I had been thinking about the Tacoma at the outset but the more I read about maxing out GVWR got me thinking about a Tundra or a 1/2 ton big 3 truck. The newer Tacoma's seem to be the same profile as a larger truck, but lack the payload capacity. The older 1/2 ton trucks are not as tall and seemingly not as long as their contemporaries.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer

I base my feelings on how the truck handles and, particularly, how quickly the truck can stop. Nothing about the handling, acceleration, or stopping ability of my Taco has given me any concern. Without the heavier suspension I know I wouldn't like the handling, though.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Well I have my camper on a Fuso FG so I favor the view of choosing a truck for which the payload is easy. Better to have a light camper on a heavy truck than a heavy camper on a light truck. Cabovers are easier and more fun to drive than standard pickups.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I really like my FWC on my F-250. I like the feel on the Hwy, and its nice to never be overloaded. It also gives me the ability to tow. FWC are not roomy and have little storage. Having a crew cab really helps organize on longer trips.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I can't speak highly enough about having a service body on whatever truck you choose to get a vast increase in storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior