Which truck or SUV for a short road trip?

Nivel Egres

Observer
In summary, I need something that can haul a ligh(ish) trailer camper but that can also support a long-term trip on it's own. I honestly have no idea where to even start and could really use the collective wisdom.

Now the long story. I sold my data science company to a Big Evil Corporation and have a 2-year non-compete which I intend to spend on the road. I rock climb, so I think I'll drive around the US/Canada for some time, but I also want to go down to Chile to climb in Cochamo Valley and Patagonia, on the way stopping in Mexico, Peru, Venezuela (the usual suspects for rock-crazy person). Initially I intended to get a truck and a truck camper, but one of my former employees gave me his 17-foot trailer that has all the goodies (bathroom, bedroom etc). It needs some work, but now that I have it, I just can't justify buying a truck camper. So, the new plan is to use the camper while in the US/Canada and in October head down South in the vehicle alone leaving the camper behind. Here are my thoughts in order of priority:

(a) The budget is 10k total "negotiable", meaning that if there is something that is perfect I'll spend more
(b) I don't want something huge, since I am a ****ty driver and will have a hard time going through tight spots
(c) The car needs to fit two big dogs and all my gear, which gets pretty bulky (e.g. 2 large bouldering pads)
(d) The trailer is 2900 lbs dry, I figure once I add water and stuff like solar system, it's gonna be 3500.
(e) In South America I will likely need the 4x4 capability, including mild off-roading to get to my rocks
(f) Couple locations use gas/ethanol blend, so that is a consideration (diesel or carburettor might be preferable)
(g) Automatic transmission is preferable (current girl don't do gears), though I can survive with manual
(h) being under 181″ and under 75" in hight is preferable initially (my garage charges extra otherwise)
(i) I don't car if it's ugly as long as it gets me there the long way round

The lower are the points, the more negotiable they are. Right now I am thinking maybe 3rd generation Toyota 4runner, but don't know if it fits all the points.

PS. right now I drive an old Volvo which I am towing to the junk yard once I get the new

p nut

butter
You want a v8. Rock climbing is going to take you over the Rockies and other big mountain passes. As much I love 3rd gen 4Runners, I'd hate to be pulling anything over 2k lbs on a regular basis.
_
Tundra is a good option, along with a Sequoia, if SUV is your thing. I'd also put a Tahoe/Suburban/Silverado in the mix. Plenty capable for the route you'll be on, and parts may be easier to source down south of the border.

Nivel Egres

Observer
An older tundra with a camper shell might be q better choice. They a smaller than the more current models.
I have a safety issue with trucks - the dogs will be in the back and if the car flips over, the camper will get squashed, while an SUV has a full cab frame that is crash-tested. Maybe I feel different if I had a roll bar of some sort but that is adding too much complexity.

You want a v8. Rock climbing is going to take you over the Rockies and other big mountain passes. As much I love 3rd gen 4Runners, I'd hate to be pulling anything over 2k lbs on a regular basis.
Hmm. Alternatively, as the former owner of the trailer indicated, if I strip it down (change the furniture/appliances/furniture etc) and replace the windows, I can get the weight down to under 2k wet, including solar system. Since it has to be, ahem, "cleaned up a little", I might explore that route. I already looked at a few 4runners and like them enough to stretch a little.

Tundra is a good option, along with a Sequoia, if SUV is your thing. I'd also put a Tahoe/Suburban/Silverado in the mix. Plenty capable for the route you'll be on, and parts may be easier to source down south of the border.
I don't like trucks (for the reasons listed above), but Suburban is an interesting idea. It's kinda big, but that means it will fit everyone/everything and then some. I have seen people put a pop-top on it, but that's probably beyond me project-wise.

Why would you say it's easier to find parts for it vs Toyota outside the US (honest question, I have no clue)?
Are they reliable in general, feels like everyone I speak to talks bad about American cars?
Are they all 4x4 or some aren't and I guess I need to read up on them?
The older diesel ones, are they reliable and worth looking for? I like diesel because of ethanol issue.

edit: i still think it might be too big
edit 2: apparently, a roof-top tent/popup is easy to make out of old truck shell (which I happened to have).

Last edited:

Dake21

Adventurer
If I was you I'd check for a Xterra or pathfinder. The xterra is also just within your dimension limit.

p nut

butter
If you want a mid-size, look at a 4th Gen 4Runner, either V6 or V8. Even for a sub-2k trailer, they will tow it much better. I like trucks personally, and as a fellow dog lover, safety is not an issue. It's not like they're strapped down with a seat belt. Sad to say, most deaths from accidents are from being tossed around with other cargo or just being thrown out of the vehicle. In the event of a roll over, space between the cab and tail gate is sufficient to keep them from getting crushed. I like keeping cargo, especially the nasty stuff (like gas, stinky clothes/equipment) out of the cab. But that's just me. Plenty of others are perfectly happy with an SUV.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have a safety issue with trucks - the dogs will be in the back and if the car flips over, the camper will get squashed, while an SUV has a full cab frame that is crash-tested. Maybe I feel different if I had a roll bar of some sort but that is adding too much complexity.

Hmm. Alternatively, as the former owner of the trailer indicated, if I strip it down (change the furniture/appliances/furniture etc) and replace the windows, I can get the weight down to under 2k wet, including solar system. Since it has to be, ahem, "cleaned up a little", I might explore that route. I already looked at a few 4runners and like them enough to stretch a little.

I don't like trucks (for the reasons listed above), but Suburban is an interesting idea. It's kinda big, but that means it will fit everyone/everything and then some. I have seen people put a pop-top on it, but that's probably beyond me project-wise.

Why would you say it's easier to find parts for it vs Toyota outside the US (honest question, I have no clue)?
Are they reliable in general, feels like everyone I speak to talks bad about American cars?
Are they all 4x4 or some aren't and I guess I need to read up on them?
The older diesel ones, are they reliable and worth looking for? I like diesel because of ethanol issue.

edit: i still think it might be too big
edit 2: apparently, a roof-top tent/popup is easy to make out of old truck shell (which I happened to have).

If you can find one, a Callen Camper has a stronger frame than the cab of your truck.

p nut

butter
By the way, I saw your other thread in the 4Runner section. Forget bumpers, armor etc. Get some good A/T tires, maybe Maxtraxx, and/or tow rope and hi-lift, and go at it. People drive on those So. Am roads in passenger sedans.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Dogs vs roll overs over the yrs I've come across a couple of accidents and watched one happen. All were SUVs not pickups, and anything not lashed or belted down was strewn across a large area including dogs and passengers.

My #1 issue with SUVs are the people who typically drive them like sedans. Then end up in the classic swerve, exit pavent and roll over cenario. Unless the dogs are belted in they'll exit the car either by force or on their own power.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Pickup drivers generally have a bit more respect for speed and handling given most have had slow speed slides happen that got their panties in a bunch at one point. Sure there are pickup accidents but I would put money on it that roll overs are less common and when they do they have avoidable circumstances, drunk driving, poorly loaded unstable trailer towing etc.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Pickup drivers generally have a bit more respect for speed and handling given most have had slow speed slides happen that got their panties in a bunch at one point. Sure there are pickup accidents but I would put money on it that roll overs are less common and when they do they have avoidable circumstances, drunk driving, poorly loaded unstable trailer towing etc.

Agreed, most folks who drive trucks are aware of how they handle and are more cautious, plus trucks are generally more stable in a lot of situations.

Nivel Egres

Observer
It's not like they're strapped down with a seat belt.
Actually, both of mine are - they have rated-strength harnesses and have a two-point hook-up to seat belt attachment. Certainly not going anywhere in case of a collision, as I have unfortunately found out a while ago - a few years ago I skid an icy road and rolled downhill. Everyone inside the car walked away in mild shock - two dogs, two passengers, myself. However, a backpack with all of my camera gear got thrown out of the car making it a very expensive trip (well, I was able to salvage a flash and a polarizer filter).

By the way, I saw your other thread in the 4Runner section. Forget bumpers, armor etc. Get some good A/T tires, maybe Maxtraxx, and/or tow rope and hi-lift, and go at it. People drive on those So. Am roads in passenger sedans.
That's kinda what I thought - people drive regular cars down there and get around. This said, there are a few spots where I might need some 4x4 capability. I do want to try a couple routes on tepui in Venezuela (my local partner tells me "the road is rough") and the Cochamo Valley access gets muddy during the season. However, I think it's something that can be handled on a regular 4x4 without extreme modifications.

What you are implying is that people who drive trucks are better drivers, which is probably true simply because they probably drive for a living in large part. I, however, am a ****ty, inexperienced driver that might get into an accident. So I'd like to plan for that contingency by selecting a vehicle that is going to safer for all passengers (human or canine) in case of a crash. This said, I just came back from test-driving a crew-cab Tundra where the cab will fit my pups (barely) and it has a 6-foot bed - it's just felt so BIG.

32vsnake

Adventurer
This said, I just came back from test-driving a crew-cab Tundra where the cab will fit my pups (barely) and it has a 6-foot bed - it's just felt so BIG.

It just didn't feel BIG, they are BIG and it's really the only issue I have with my 08 Tundra, built and sized like a tank.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Actually, both of mine are - they have rated-strength harnesses and have a two-point hook-up to seat belt attachment. Certainly not going anywhere in case of a collision, as I have unfortunately found out a while ago - a few years ago I skid an icy road and rolled downhill. Everyone inside the car walked away in mild shock - two dogs, two passengers, myself. However, a backpack with all of my camera gear got thrown out of the car making it a very expensive trip (well, I was able to salvage a flash and a polarizer filter).

That's kinda what I thought - people drive regular cars down there and get around. This said, there are a few spots where I might need some 4x4 capability. I do want to try a couple routes on tepui in Venezuela (my local partner tells me "the road is rough") and the Cochamo Valley access gets muddy during the season. However, I think it's something that can be handled on a regular 4x4 without extreme modifications.

What you are implying is that people who drive trucks are better drivers, which is probably true simply because they probably drive for a living in large part. I, however, am a ****ty, inexperienced driver that might get into an accident. So I'd like to plan for that contingency by selecting a vehicle that is going to safer for all passengers (human or canine) in case of a crash. This said, I just came back from test-driving a crew-cab Tundra where the cab will fit my pups (barely) and it has a 6-foot bed - it's just felt so BIG.

From the aspect of safety regardless of accident risk my big pet peave for a long time was the lack of safety and crash standards being carried over to trucks. But most trucks less than 6yrs old today have pretty high crash standards and carry the same elements as the SUVs.. The new trucks have all the good stuff now. But say 7yrs ago there was a pretty big difference between say a Tundra and a Sequoia regarding passenger safety equipment even though both were near identical platforms.

One thing is for sure my Land Cruiser and My sequoia are far far more forgiving and stable compared to my narrower 4runner I had. I ditched the 4runner after two really close calls on the highway, both times involved tires leaving the pavement and being very aware of it taking every skill I had to keep me right side up. The newer 4runner uses lots of nannys to keep you right side up in a bad situation but its still not as forgiving as the larger wider trucks and SUVs.

p nut

butter
From the aspect of safety regardless of accident risk my big pet peave for a long time was the lack of safety and crash standards being carried over to trucks. But most trucks less than 6yrs old today have pretty high crash standards and carry the same elements as the SUVs.. The new trucks have all the good stuff now. But say 7yrs ago there was a pretty big difference between say a Tundra and a Sequoia regarding passenger safety equipment even though both were near identical platforms.

One thing is for sure my Land Cruiser and My sequoia are far far more forgiving and stable compared to my narrower 4runner I had. I ditched the 4runner after two really close calls on the highway, both times involved tires leaving the pavement and being very aware of it taking every skill I had to keep me right side up. The newer 4runner uses lots of nannys to keep you right side up in a bad situation but its still not as forgiving as the larger wider trucks and SUVs.

I actually had a friend on a cross country trip roll his 3rd Gen 4Runner. He was fine, but he said he looked down just for a brief moment to grab a cookie, and when he looked up, his front tire was barely off asphalt (narrow road). Before he could correct, he flipped and rolled few times. 4th Gens are much better in this aspect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz