Which Truck? Tacoma Or Tundra

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
For context....

The 4 cyl taco is rated to tow 3500 lbs. This is the truck I have. I have towed that much over long distances out west. Not going to win any races, but it gets the job done. Mountain passes are slow, but doable between 45 and 50. The 4.0 v6 is much better, but still not a super great tow motor. My point being, I can, have, and will again, tow 3,000 LBS with my 4 banger taco out west on the highways, and get between 14 and 15 MPG if I keep it under 70 mph.

I have extensive time behind the wheel of both the 4.7 and the 5.7 Tundra. Both are awesome, long lasting platforms.
We had Tundras as fleet trucks at the company I worked at in Utah. We used these tundra as backcountry supply trucks and had them all over the high desert and up in the Unita range. Lots of dirt mud snow and rock. We overloaded the hell out of them beat them to piss and they kept on asking for more. This program ran year round and the trucks were in the field 24/7/365. When it snowed, we would chain up and break trail. I will tell you right now that with beefy tires these trucks are surprisingly decent off road. The smaller 4.7 was better because it was smaller. More then once, I had them chained up in the back, loaded with 2 or three thousand pounds worth of gear, and would be plowing through snow to the bumper.

I only had one not make it on me, but I snapped part of the front end. Pick the right line and the right tires and they will go an amazing number of places. the suck on washboard......

The 4.7 is an awesome motor, and it is mated to an awesome truck. The problem is that it is gettign rather long in the tooth. Good luck finding one with less then 100 K on it used. If I was just going to tow the camper listed above, I would probaly get this truck, and the 5.7 tundra is hands down a better tow rig. That extra power makes a world of difference. but again, it is all context, becasue I would also tow that trailer with my regular cab 4 cyl tacoma and just go slow.

I suspect, you would be happier with the tundra. the 5.7 will go for a good long while. I could easily get 15 in stock form freighted down, not towing but that was a lot of low speed stuff. 60 MPH long road trip, cruise control and flat, you can see close to 20. 80 MPH on the interstates out west, you would be lucky to see the 15 empty in anything that has been moded.

The 4.7 seemed to return between 17 and 20 no matter what you did to it unless there was a trailer attached.

Hope this is helpful

tennesseewj

Observer
Yeah, lots of variables as far as what you are towing, driving style, and terrain. I think we're straying from the original topic anyway.

The OP originally asked about a Tacoma vs. Tundra for a balance between capability and towing.

The general consensus seems to be that any half-ton or larger platform will render better towing prowess with similar or improved economy than trying to tow with a Tacoma (especially a Tacoma with larger tires).

BTW, don't discount a 200 series Cruiser or other large SUV as a replacement to the FJ80. Shorter than trucks with more dry storage and a nice V8 still

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The_Dude

Adventurer
Yeah, lots of variables as far as what you are towing, driving style, and terrain. I think we're straying from the original topic anyway.

The OP originally asked about a Tacoma vs. Tundra for a balance between capability and towing.

The general consensus seems to be that any half-ton or larger platform will render better towing prowess with similar or improved economy than trying to tow with a Tacoma (especially a Tacoma with larger tires).

BTW, don't discount a 200 series Cruiser or other large SUV as a replacement to the FJ80. Shorter than trucks with more dry storage and a nice V8 still

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I would kill for a 200. The 2008s are still out of my price range. All this input has me thinking about just being content with my 80 for awhile longer as the towing mileage is not going to be enough to warrant a car payment for me just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkg

Explorer
Best I ever saw out of a gen 1 4.7 - 19mpg.

Averaged ~16 across an 03,04,06,06...

I did once get 12.7 towing a 4Runner carcass (drivetrain, frame,1/2 shell) from Omaha to St. Paul. Averaged 10 pulling anything heavier or taller.

Good God... I’ve owned too many vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz