Which van for budget build?

rcintx

Adventurer
Hi All!

I have been daydreaming for a van for a really long time. Something about that #vanlife just gets me going. My wife on the other hand, is not a fan of the van. So... I am going to need to make this work out of my "fun money" that she doesn't care about. :devilish: My budget is going to be fairly small (growing month by month as I save) but I am OK with an older model with no frills and work needed. That's part of the fun.

My question is what models should i look for? I am certain too be looking at high mileage vehicles. Anything to stay away from? Thanks for anything you can provide.

Smileyshaun

Observer
What is your mechanical ability, are you going to be doing all the work yourself or paying someone else, do you need a 4 wheel drive van, do you want seats in it or just a cargo van with open room, do you have any preference on brands?

That's a good place to start

rcintx

Adventurer
I should be able to handle the work myself. I've done light wrenching and am willing to take on just about anything in that regards. I can definitely handle building out the interior. 4x4 would be awesome, but I doubt I can get that in my budget and am OK with 2 wheel drive. I need to site 2 adults and 2 kids. No preference on brand. Reliability and availability of parts would be my top priority.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
What is your budget and what are your plans for the vehicle (weekend warrior, vacations, living full-time, etc.)? What do you want to do with it (go to trailheads, go to beaches, go to campgrounds, remote... not so remote)? How many people living in the van?

My wife on the other hand, is not a fan of the van.

:( That's not a great start there...

grampswrx

Observer
If you have kids that will be sitting in the back, consider a passenger van over a cargo van as it will have AC/heat vents in the back and some windows for them to look out of. I have small kids and the less bored they are when driving the happier we all are.

rcintx

Adventurer
I think the budget will end up somewhere between $3k-$5k. It's not a lot, but I am hoping I can find something. My plans are for weekend warrior/camping. I love to run trail races and at the end of a race I want to slide the door open, roll the awning out and enjoy a brew or two. My grand plan (although far away) is to get these kids raised (16 more years, lol) and retire (16 more years, lol) and travel with my wife. I think the van is the going to be perfect for this. This project is more of a proof of concept for something a little better (SportsMobile :cool::p) at a later date. I'll wear her down eventually. lol!

Raul

Adventurer
That is feasible. I sold my 2000 e150 for just a little bit over that budget. Starting with a passenger van I went for a flexible set up. Remove middle seats and lock the fridge/micro combo and you have a camper for 4, remove the third row and a large cargo, bring back the middle row and travel 7. You can find old-ish E150 with less than 150,000 miles in good shape. Try to find something that has been loved, even if old and do not be scared of 150,000 miles. The little stuff is what will get you wasting a lot of time and more money than you thought.

Full size Ford or Chevy should fit the bill and they are cheap to maintain and you can find spares anywhere. Bad mileage.
Sprinters are nice, a lot roomier, but if you find one on that price range is probably falling a part.

On my current build I've dumped a lot of money on the 4x4 conversion, but for the inside I am trying to be frugal and get a set-up like my old van. I am in the same boat as you with the wife not being too excited, but after 13 years with the old van she let me go 4x4 with the new one. Not a blank check, but more flexible.

Good luck. They are rewarding vehicles, make sure you fill it with memories.

Nesquik

Observer
I’ll give a better response when I have more time

But 3-5k is enough, don’t get discouraged, there is a lot of people on this forum that are LOADED and their vehicles attract most of the discussion and attention, but your budget WILL work for a good adventure vehicle

Currently I am $3100ish into an AWD GMC Safari with 90,000 miles on it, will be complete with lift and tires and all for under $5000

rcintx

Adventurer
I’ll give a better response when I have more time

But 3-5k is enough, don’t get discouraged, there is a lot of people on this forum that are LOADED and their vehicles attract most of the discussion and attention, but your budget WILL work for a good adventure vehicle

Currently I am $3100ish into an AWD GMC Safari with 90,000 miles on it, will be complete with lift and tires and all for under $5000

This is very inspiring, and exactly what I would like to accomplish. I am not loaded in the least and being able to build a basic version of an adventure vehicle for under $5k makes me tingly all over. Do you have a build thread?

Deshet

Adventurer
Under $5000 for purchase and build
AWD chevy Astro Van.

I kept up with some defenders today without issue in a Fwd Hyundai. An awd Astro is respectable

If your on the east coast I will be back in country at the end of April and can make you a good deal on a 1999 AWD Astro Passenger maintained properly since new. You may find an awd chevy express but it will be hard or have 300,000 miles and rust.

Attachments

• IMG_1901.JPG
    IMG_1901.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Nesquik

Observer
This is very inspiring, and exactly what I would like to accomplish. I am not loaded in the least and being able to build a basic version of an adventure vehicle for under $5k makes me tingly all over. Do you have a build thread?
No build thread, not yet.

Are you trying to sleep INSIDE and the vehicle, or camp out of the vehicle? If inside, How many people need a place to sleep?

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Astro's are a great option but they're a little small so an easy fix is the roof top tent (for the kids). For inspiration, here's a low budget build that went much further then a lot of high cost builds: Desk to Glory.

Go for a really comfy mattress inside (IKEA) with a double sleeping bag (this is enssential to convince your wife!). Put it on a platform with storage drawers and possibly a pull-out kitchen (coleman stove).

Use painted or varnished plywood. Cheap and clean.

Go for clearance with a G80 locker when you have the funds.

Lots of elbow grease and a little bit of creativity and you should have a great weekend warrior. Plus, you'll be able to find out what you like and dislike for the "perfect van" you might get in the future.

Conversion vans with a slight raised fiberglass roof can be had for pretty cheap, it seems. Personally, I'd want to take all the decals they tend to have, and the fiberglass running boards, but that slightly higher roof would be nice, and worth the effort. Even it meant a monstaliner paint job afterwards. I think you can do it within your budget, might take some time to find the right one.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I know your set on a van but would a 3/4 ton hightop suburban work . might be easier to talk the misses into and will still give you plenty of room

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior