Which Winch Mount Bumper?

Which Winch Mount Bumper?

• Total voters
cruiseroutfit said:
But what is the point of that "stinger"?

I don't even want to get into the whole endo-rollover conversation.
i know you didn't, and there's little to no point in talking about them on the expo...but that is the point of a *functional* stinger. stingers only have a place on rock buggies that are likely to endo, and any vehicle that had a *functional* stinger would also have a rollcage, or a plan for one in the near future. i have seen them used as intended in pictures and videos, and seen vehicles firsthand which have used them multiple times as intended. only perhaps one or two vehicles on the expo might ever find themselves in that position, and doubtful that it'd be on an expedition. for the rest of the world, it's just extra weight, visual obstruction, and one more thing making the vehicle longer. you can't even pull from most of the "stingers" ive seen, the bar would bend...or the welds would break...or the frame would be damaged...etc...even on the one in the picture there.

on probably (im making this number up for effect) 99% of vehicles, a stinger isn't even farkle.

all that aside...

there is an awful lot to be said for approach and departure angles that does not involve moon buggies. good angles, combined with underbelly and rocker panel protection, may preclude the need for bridging ladders, winching, digging, or stacking. while i could take a minivan on many trails with the aid of a set of bridging ladders (seen it done to support an "established" camp in wellsville, ohio aka the offroad slum), i see recovery tools as contingency plans, not primary agents for forward movement.

if you're in the middle of nowhere, particularly if it's rained recently, you never know when you may need to cross a vertical-walled wash...no rock crawling, but if you can't get the wheels near the bank of the wash, or keep the tail from dragging, you may not be able to cross without a shovel, bridging ladders and/or a winch. personally i'd rather dig with the tires than by hand, and certainly i'd prefer to dig than bridge up a potentially unstable bank...turning around may not always be an option, if you're the lucky guy to catch the first desert rainstorm on the wrong end of a long spur trail.

labeled, but not often used, roads in the backcountry do not have the same kind of maintenance schedule, funding or care that park or even blm roads have. the nps restores back roads inside the parks after weather damage. sometimes blm gets around to restoring back roads in their areas, but they often have more important priorities, and back roads with little use are low on the list. conditions get worse off blm lands, particularly on roads that are marked on a topo but not written up in a book--little to no travel, so nobody to move the fallen rock for you, fill in the ditch, stack rocks before the ledge...you're not rock crawling, but you might have to do a little creative driving once in a while, and good angles will only help you and are easy to attain for most vehicles.

good approach and departure angles are just as important as a hi-lift, an x-jack, winch, spare tire, pry bar, bridging ladders, and everything else that gets thrown on the truck. angles are not something you have to stop and unpack, and they are easily managed--all it takes in the rear is a little trimming, some touch up paint and a piece of moulding...much less than the cost of a winch or even a hilift. in the front, all it takes is good planning when building, buying or modifying a bumper.

that in mind, consider that a winch which is mounted close to the radiator will be a problem in a collision, whether it's on the road or you stuff the truck in a dune. personally, i continue to run the arb sahara bar because of the safety factor, and have not changed it because eventual changes to the truck will overcome my dissatisfaction with the sahara bar design. i dont think any custom tube bumper will be as safe in a head-on Mex1 collision as an arb or tjm with a designed crumple zone. there used to be a bumper company that built bombproof jeep bumpers back in the day...eventually two drivers with the same bumper wound up in a head-on. the bumpers were intact, but the occupants broke their necks since nothing on the bumper or frame was designed to absorb the impact. that's why youll find only 0.120" wall used in the majority of aftermarket bumpers, whether tube or "armor" style. The company is no longer in existence due to that accident--the story was passed on to me by Mike @ Trucksmith (the Hi9 guy), who steered me toward the arb design vs. building custom tube on the front of my truck.

i recall several pictures from this years' expo trophy which showed a wooden bridge and others which showed entry and exit from a wash. if either bank of the wash were vertical due to recent flash flooding, vehicles with good angles could continue driving where others dug or bridged. if you were faced with a shallow ditch similar to the bridge exercise but didn't have a few logs handy, again you'd be digging or hope you packed bridging ladders. the same goes for crossing partially iced rivers. i can even think of a particular spot on the way to the dollhouse in canyonlands which requires rock stacking to get a stock vehicle over a ledge on an otherwise very easy road, due to the approach angle required for the height of the ledge.

with the amount of money often shifted to shocks, springs, wheels, tires, and snorkels ;), why neglect something so easy, inexpensive and helpful to work with as approach and departure angles? arb is not the only "armor" style bumper manufacturer anymore, and there are now offerings with better approach angles. sure, we're not going out with the intent to crawl over the largest rocks we can find, but we might not have a choice, either. i'm not saying stay away from arb, in fact i think i've made a couple good points specifically to get one over all else, but consider the type of driving youll be doing and buy accordingly...they are not appropriate for every situation, may in fact make it harder to get down the trail, and there are "best of both worlds" solutions available.

v/r,
sean

Last edited:

ParadiseCruiser

flyingwil said:
What is your thoughts and opinions?

Like so many things, a choice such as this comes down to the intended application for the specific truck. Fortunately, perhaps, there are not so many choices for an 80 Series Cruiser... so I went with the ARB.

A few observations...

Approach angle: Agreed, the angle is not so good with this bumper, but expeditionary utility is the goal, not climbing, so this has not been an issue.

Protection: NE Calif is deer country, and this palce is filty with the critters. The bulk up front, and particularly the hoops, have saved the truck more than once. We've all seen full-size deer impacts: The damage can be considerable. Also, with fender-bender types of scrapes, the other guy always looses.

The hoops also provide a good mounting point for headlight screens. This is also logging country, and the crap that comes off the trucks is considerable. Saved many a headlight with the screens ( but not the windshield :( ).

Winch/lights: Lots of places to mount stuff.

Recovery points: None. Don't mistake those little "eyelets" directly under the vertical uprights for recovery points. Those are Hi-Lift jack attachment points. Pull anything from there - especially at an angle - and they will fail. You can always add something, of course. Many of us use recovery points attached to the frame and pull from down there.

Cheers, R -

java

Expedition Leader
I would have to vote custom. you can make exactly waht you want. take your time and design everyting the way you want. it will be cheaper or the same as say an ARB but will be you specs. as for the stingers, i aggree that many people dont have a functional stinger and are just for looks but they are designed to save the fron of the cab in any roll over not just an endo.
as for a stinger on a expedition vehicle i dont think its nessary unless you think there is a chance of a rollor and you can put up with that damn thing blocking your view all the time! my.02

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
devinsixtyseven said:
i know you didn't, and there's little to no point in talking about them on the expo...but that is the point of a *functional* stinger. stingers only have a place on rock buggies that are likely to endo, and any vehicle that had a *functional* stinger would also have a rollcage, or a plan for one in the near future. i have seen them used as intended in pictures and videos, and seen vehicles firsthand which have used them multiple times as intended....

I'll still debate their purpose anywhere... :D :elkgrin:

I spent 3 years competing in UROC (professional rockcrawling) all over the USA in a LS1 powers tube chassis, including driving in the Super Crawl World Finals held in Las Vegas (parking lot of SEMA) ;) There were alot of stinger style bumpers in the first generations of crawlers, but it faded there and reappeared in the aftermarket bolt on market.

most excellent :D...

did they give up the "rhino" look because they kept running in to stuff, or when somebody realized that with a tube chassis, the engine was already protected...or both :D...the functional "stingers", if you can even call them that anymore, that i see now are very, very low profile...no more the "happy truck" look :p.

personally i really like a bar of some sort up front, it's useful as an aid to see where the front of the truck is. when i first got the tundra, i bounced the front bumper off a few things...now i use the chrome hoop on the sahara bar to judge distance. even tho i'm not sure i dig the chrome, it's very easy to see and a great indicator since the front of the bumper is inches away from the hoop. something like that, which would protect the grille and winch, just over the top of the hood so it's easily visible from the driver's seat, that didn't increase the length of the vehicle...now that would be very useful. youll always know where the front is, and it's easy to tie in limb lines if you go where youd need them. the arb and demello designs for the taco do a great job of that, and a simple brush guard/indicator hoop looks like it'd be really easy to add to the bentup bumper...

-sean

OldSven

Explorer
You forgot www.badlandbumpers.com :D

P1010005.jpg

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Some of the nicest bumpers I've seen are the ones from Bent-up. They can personalize them to suit your needs too.

This is basically a low volume "custom" bumper.

They are slow to ship and you won't be getting instant gratification, like if you bought an ARB.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
TACODOC said:
I guess I'll stir the pot here since CBI has updated their site with more pics :coffee:

CBI Website

How is that stiring the pot when one of the choices is CBI (last picture in the first post)?

I still have not decided!:sport_box

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
flyingwil said:
How is that stiring the pot when one of the choices is CBI (last picture in the first post)?

Umm... Cuz CBI has updated their site with more pics!

I guess I better find my flame suit... Sheesh! :ar15:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94