who is using a real gps vs a tablet

So of all you running tablets how many of yiu have downloaded very large areas at high detail levels 15 or more.? And by large i mean like the size of oregon? How did yiu do it ?

I have just started using my iPad mini with an external GPS receiver. It runs Memory Map with 1:50k mapping for green laning here in the UK. I also use a standalone Garmin (cant remember the model) with stock maps but on the SD have the Garmin opensource maps for European countries.

Plus Google is usually at hand to check traffic and satellite view when needed.

So of all you running tablets how many of yiu have downloaded very large areas at high detail levels 15 or more.? And by large i mean like the size of oregon? How did yiu do it ?
Can you put an SD card in your tablet? We have an old laptop we use to backup video/photos while we travel and store extra files. If needed we transfer extra maps o nthe move rather than carry several SD cards.

You could always try a WIFI harddrive or similar set up to store extra maps.

I dropped a SD card in my tablet, and downloaded all of Oregon, Washington, Wyoming, and Idaho, using BCN. with an Asus Zen Pad 8, also connected through Verizon. Just find one w/ removable memory, the " cloud" is useless......especially since it cant be accessed w/o cell service.

so yeti here is a question or some. I did the same thing on topousa. What zome level did you use? And how big were the files, in terms of number of tiles?

I read that on gaia you can only use down loads of 100,000 tiles or smaller. I had downloaded 250,000 or so tiles, when i would try to zoom in i couldnt get any better detail than zoom level 11 although I had downloaded at zoom level 15. Iam not sure if it is a program limit or a hadware or both?

We run a Samsung Galaxy 10" tablet with Maps.me . We also have Delorme maps with our in reach but only use occasionally. We ran a Garmin with the tablet for a couple of years before we tossed the Garmin as overpriced junk. Poor routing and a tiny 7' screen. Save your cash go with a 10' tablet, Ram mount and Maps.me. The only downside with maps.me (open street map) is you will not get contour lines.

so yeti here is a question or some. I did the same thing on topousa. What zome level did you use? And how big were the files, in terms of number of tiles?

I read that on gaia you can only use down loads of 100,000 tiles or smaller. I had downloaded 250,000 or so tiles, when i would try to zoom in i couldnt get any better detail than zoom level 11 although I had downloaded at zoom level 15. Iam not sure if it is a program limit or a hadware or both?
let me check and get back to you. Its been a few years since I added entire states, I used the newest forest service/BLM maps that were available. It was kind of a weird process if i remember right. I also had to go into the program and tell it to only store on the memory card. Ill see if i can find the exact process, i may of even found a youtube video/thread with a google search. BCN, sent out an email some time back with the instructions.

Last edited: