Who makes the very best white gas stoves and lanterns?

chris snell

Adventurer
I'm looking to relegate my Snow Peak propane camping gear to summertime use only and buy a set of white gas gear for the other seasons. White gas is more space-efficient, packs nicely in MSR fuel bottles, and never fails when the weather gets cold like a propane can does.

The difficulty is finding quality gear. I'm looking for something on par with Snow Peak in both construction quality and design, if it exists. Nice stainless steel. Minimal ****ty plastic parts.

I loved the Coleman gear of the 1970s but even if I scored some on eBay, it would be too bulky for my needs.

I'd like to acquire:

- a two-burner stovetop
- a single burner stovetop -- not a backpacking stove like the MSR Dragonfly or Whisperbomb
- a one- or two-mantel camp lantern

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I guess you don't want one this small: http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/o...pconnect/optimus-outdoor-kocher/optimus-svea/
Figgered that they'd make a bigger one but I don't see anything like it on their site.
I had one as my only stove for my first 35 years of camping. I don't backpack anymore so my nephew's got the stove now. Tough little bugger.
I think that Optimus bought the Svea name at some point. The stove I bought 41 years ago was just a Svea...

AndrewP

Explorer
Bad news, Chris. Coleman is your only realistic choice. Not bulky when you consider all the mess of propane tanks, hoses, and manifolds get left at home. Old Coleman, say before the mid 1980s is made with as much care as any snow peak, minus the exorbitant price and stainless steel.

If space is really an issue, a Coleman 425 2 burner has a fairly small foot print, and the Sears version of the same stove from the late 60s early 70s has a slightly smaller foot print but same burners. No plastic parts either. Steel (painted not stainless) and brass. The only plastic is the phenolic of the valve wheel, and the rubber of the cap gasket. They still make this stove, but I'd get one from the mid 60s through the mid 70s.

If you have a bit more room a 413 (this is an F) is still fairly compact with even hotter burners and more cooking space:

413F003640x480_zps48f60ad6.jpg

For a 1 burner-do you mean coffee pot size? If so, a Coleman 502 is an efficient and reliable stove. All steel and brass, no non-sense. They can be styled up to match the color of your Land Rover if you like this mid 80s Toyota smurf blue:

TravLan3026640x480_zps98cfff1e.jpg

Notice the nice all brass construction with compression fittings not o-rings:

TravLan3023640x480_zpsc1425f74.jpg

Olive green:

Utah2014018640x480_zpsc03c3207.jpg

For your lantern, if you like compact and beautiful design, reach back in time and get a Coleman 242 B or C model. Just about the entire lantern is nickel plated brass, uses a commonly available generator and you'll be very happy with it. 242C on the left, 200A on the right:

ColemanIH8Mudpics2013026640x480_zps035c9015.jpg

And to get the very best out of your Coleman, it's best to disassemble, clean, change cap gasket and pump leather, maybe the generator. Then you'll be good to go for decades.

AndrewP

Explorer
Extremely good choice.

Here's why-that is an EARLY 413G. Probably late 64-66. Notice the boxed in and welded corners, the diamond cut outs, and what's most interesting is the straight grill. Most of the Gs had a round thing incorporated into the grate to make using very small pans easier. This may even have the welded on feet-just a year or so later they went to a molded into the case foot. That may be a 65 or 66.

edit-looked at the ebay listing-definitely welded on feet. That's a 1 or 2 year only variant. Cool. Check under the mounting tabs of the tank for the month and year. Excellent stove and only $30! Nice going. WHen you get it, I can guide you through a full rebuild and will send you a cap gasket and pump leather if you need one. It looks barely used, so the generator may be perfectly good. Double edit--duh...I see it says 8-65.

Funny they have a Peak1 cap on the tank. I'd get a real 3 piece cap with a new gasket and use the correct one. Old Coleman Parts often has them but you may need to paint a green one red.

96Delica

Adventurer
As someone who has never used a liquid fuel stove, when you pack up camp can you empty the fuel from the stove? If you're transporting it inside a vehicle does it smell? I'm looking to upgrade from my cheapo propane coleman for next summer.

AndrewP

Explorer
No. You just leave the fuel in the tank. It doesn't leak and there's no smell, assuming you didn't spill anything stinky on it while cooking.

That tank holds close to 1/2 gallon of fuel-you would be hard pressed to use it all in a week worth of cooking. If you are used to propane especially in the small green 1 pound bottles, you will be shocked at the fuel efficiency of a white gas stove.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Huh. Looks like they pulled the stoves off their web site. Wonder what's up with that.

Really weird cause they make rockin' stoves...

Biodiesel-Stove.jpg

doug720

Expedition Leader
For small lanterns and stoves, these have served me well for many years.

The red lantern is 200A - 7/57

The small brown lantern is Canadian 222 - 2/99

The 2 stoves are 400A's

Great working, dependable, cheap, work at high altitudes and when cold. Plus they are cheap!

Be warned, old Coleman equipment is addictive!

Attachments

• P1090048.JPG
    P1090048.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 40
  • P1080323.JPG
    P1080323.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 45

56farmerjohn

Who makes the best white gas stoves and lanterns??

There is no need to empty the stove or lantern back into your fuel bottle.. Properly maintained, stoves and lanterns will not leak.. I have been using peak one stoves for Backpacking since 1980 and never , ever had one leak.. You would end up making amess with fuel sloping down your fuel bottle if you tried to empty the stove or lantern.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78