Whoa...the new 2020+ Titan Pro-4x has serious potential...

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Hear me out.

After doing substantial research on nearly all comparable 4x4 trucks, the 2020+ Nissan Titan Pro-4x has caught my interest. Here's why:

- Wheelbase on the Titan pro-4x crew cab is 139.8. That means the Titan has the most compact wheelbase of all fullsize trucks. Yes...ALL. The next largest is the Ford regular Cab Super duty with 142".
- By comparison, the Titan's wheelbase is only about 11 inches longer than a Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro Crew cab (Short box - 140.6" for the long box).
- V8 Power paired with a super smooth 9speed trans with a respectable 20mpg highway
- Nissan's awesome 4WD system
- The price is right...IMO.

Am I off base here? This truck, on paper could be a game changer for Overlanding. Even with the new Tundra, the Titan has really caught my eye. Anyone else?

C

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Read up on parts availability. Nissan has been struggling lots of stories of stranded owners that can’t get their trucks fixed.

dstefan

I had exactly the same thoughts about these when I was looking to replace my ‘09 Tacoma In 2020 with a 1/2 ton to support a lightweight camper. Several things took me in the direction of the Tundra, however. Of the four previous Toyotas I’ve owned, Including two 2nd gen Tacoma’s (with heavy off road use) and a 5th gen 4runner, I have never had an unexpected mechanical problem that left the vehicle inoperable and stranded me or my wife.

I owned a previous Nissan small truck (prior to the frontier model), and a Maxima. I loved both of those vehicles from a design perspective and a performance perspective, but I hated them from a reliability perspective. The truck left me stranded a couple of times as did the Maxima for my wife. The electronic problems we had in in the Maxima were a nightmare. However when it worked it was an awesome vehicle. And it did work most of the time.

Because my off-road travel tends to be pretty remote, in areas where I am trying to avoid people and get pretty far away, and it’s just me and my wife traveling alone, I went with the reliability and tried and true nature of the Toyota platform. The thing that attracted me to the 21 Tundra was that it was an old platform. The bugs have been worked out. Yes there’s things that annoy me design wise, and to this day I long for the 139 inch wheelbase and the factory locker. We won’t talk about the M word (mileage)! But with upgrades anda camper on it it’s still not as bad as I was fearing it would be. I also got a good enough deal through Costco‘s buying program to later afford to re-gear it and add front and rear lockers and still be at about $60K all in.

The other issue for me was that I knew whatever I bought I would end up replacing the suspension, lifting it, and doing other modifications. The only thing I would’ve kept on the Pro 4X Titan would’ve been the rear locker, and whatever electronic off-road features are built-in. The SR5 Tundra got me the big gas tank and upgraded seats and nothing else I paid extra for that I was gonna rip out in the first year. The motor sports shop here in Phoenix that I trust and rely on (SDHQ) doesn’t do that much with Nissans, and the aftermarket options are more limited.

Not trying to talk to you out of it at all. I think the new Titans are pretty tempting. That’s just my logic and evaluation for my uses and needs.

Last edited:

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
All good points so far... Although, I do have an inside track at Nissan USA in TN (friends work there), and the word is late this year and into 2023 they expect to be back on track with their supply chain.

We too have owned previous Nissan's. Namely a Murano and I had an Xterra Pro-4x. And those were two of the most reliable vehicles we have ever owned. In fact, I kinda miss my Xterra.

That said, a few long term reviews are really loving on the new Titan. Love my Toyotas, but man...this Titan. Love the simplicity and usefulness of what Nissan is offering. Hmmmm....

jbaucom

I had a 2007 Titan, and in almost 7 years and 70,000 miles, it never had any major issues. The dealer had to put a new radiator cap on it early on, and the rear axle was replaced due to rear axle seal leaks on both sides. After the axle replacement, the leaks never reappeared. I loved the way it drove and performed, because it felt, and was, smaller than other full-size trucks without noticeably giving up interior or bed space.

gkieser92

Awhile back there were rumors that the Titan's production run will end soon. I don't know if Nissan ever confirmed that, but they have discontinued it in Canada. Since there are fewer Titans on the road than other pickups, you would need to consider the future availability of parts and service, which is a concern for long-term. It seems like Nissan is going all-in on the Frontier and bowing out of the full-size market.

01tundra

Explorer
Awhile back there were rumors that the Titan's production run will end soon. I don't know if Nissan ever confirmed that, but they have discontinued it in Canada. Since there are fewer Titans on the road than other pickups, you would need to consider the future availability of parts and service, which is a concern for long-term. It seems like Nissan is going all-in on the Frontier and bowing out of the full-size market.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
They for sure are very tempting but 1650lbs payload is like 80lbs more than a Honda Ridgeline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles