Why do I want APRS???

PabloCruise

Are you thinking about dedicating your HT for 2m APRS permanently or do you plan on using it for other stuff? I only ask because a plain old 2m whip is cheap and most effective but your FT-60 is capable of 70cm so you might want a dual band if you're ever going to use it for voice.

Can't go wrong with a Larsen NMO-150 or Laird B1443 for a VHF antenna. You'd need a mag mount or drill a hole for an NMO base with them, though.

Good question - this is my only radio, so it would not be a permanent APRS rig, I would want to do voice when not using for APRS.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It does get more sparse in southern Utah. There's some repeaters over near Durango and Cortez, over near Farmington, NM, and down near Grand Canyon. But the western part of Four Corners is thin.
Good question - this is my only radio, so it would not be a permanent APRS rig, I would want to do voice when not using for APRS.
Larsen NMO 2/70 or Laird C140/440 then. It'll be about +$25 more than the single bands I mentioned. But for club and TLCA stuff even the single bands would probably cover you, not everyone has a dual band radio so having 70cm is more about gaining access to several linked repeater systems around the region.

PabloCruise

It does get more sparse in southern Utah. There's some repeaters over near Durango and Cortez, over near Farmington, NM, and down near Grand Canyon. But the western part of Four Corners is thin.

Larsen NMO 2/70 or Laird C140/440 then. It'll be about +$25 more than the single bands I mentioned. But for club and TLCA stuff even the single bands would probably cover you, not everyone has a dual band radio so having 70cm is more about gaining access to several linked repeater systems around the region.

Thanks Dave. I was thinking about the NCARC repeaters in the 70cm band. So I will need to order a magnet base and cable separate to move either of those from vehicle to vehicle?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That would be the basic advantage to a mag mount, it would not be permanent so could conceivably be moved from truck to truck. I just hope you're not thinking of a mag mount on your FJ55. They are notorious for scratching paint. I'd doing something better on that, maybe a lip mount on the rain gutter or something. Just would hate to see it get damaged.

PabloCruise

That would be the basic advantage to a mag mount, it would not be permanent so could conceivably be moved from truck to truck. I just hope you're not thinking of a mag mount on your FJ55. They are notorious for scratching paint. I'd doing something better on that, maybe a lip mount on the rain gutter or something. Just would hate to see it get damaged.

Thanks @DaveInDenver, I was wanting to move the APRS into the Pig for some trips. If you have a lip mount you like I value your experience!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles