Why don’t more people take the WK2 overlanding?

Spinner

I love my 2012 WK2. Absolutely love it.
But, I wanna kick the engineer's *** who designed the headlights and the way the bulbs have to be replaced.
It's almost like they looked at the WK1's (I owned a 2005 and loved it too) and said, "Hmmmm, how can we make this **** more difficult?". And the guy next to him replied, "Here, hold my beer. I got this.".

Imprezive

I enjoy my basically stock 2011 Overland. It doesn’t even have the off road package but it does fine. I can also sleep in the back of it comfortably. I’m 6’1” so that a narrow niche of vehicles.

61B7F67C-D801-4AB8-9244-4200C162F57F.jpeg

echo7tango

Road tripping, overlanding
We've really like our JGC Overland Diesel. Best upgrade was BFG KO2 light truck steel belted tires.

I love my JGC Overland Diesel too! Mine wears Wrangler Duratracs, 32”.

Although I'm usually lazy and just type JGC CRD. :)

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
OVERLANDING

From post #50, I just have to say.......

I disagree, the WK2 is more than capable for an overlanding platform, it seems definitions are lacking as to overlanding, expedition and adventure travels. Overlanding is not rock crawling nor does it require charging up a mountain side. Adventure travels can be accomplished in an old school bus, overlanding has been accomplished in all kinds of vehicles, my old Volvo 145 covered Europe very well, VW's have gone floating over mud holes that sink many 4x4s.

I just bought a 17 KL Trailhawk and it will begin its overlanding ventures this winter, in May from Mo. to Cali, and we'll be doing a large loop of varied terrain, but we are not rock crawling to go anywhere. We expect to cover about 7,000 miles next year, we are retired and will hit the road pulling a small off road trailer, and we will be getting off road........so my suggestion is to to match recover gear for self recovery considering expected terrain and the vehicle to be on the safe side.

The Trailhawk is rather new, I have no idea how many are out there and I'd say most are DD to the soccer field, doesn't mean that are not capable or that they are not used.

Now that I have 7 slots on my forehead, I'm amazed at the capability of the Trailhawk considering that you can travel 800 miles in comfort, quiet and a bit of luxury and still get as deep as you'd want to get in most areas of the country. These vehicles have already gone in places I'd never go, but I know it is capable if I really need to go there.......driver technique comes into play and any vehicle can get stuck, even tanks, (which is why the military has wreckers, LOL)

The build in this thread is excellent and I'll be stealing those backup light ideas!

BTW. I went the less expensive route, the Cherokee TH not the GC, and we opted for fuel economy with the 4 banger too, I'm still the first guy off the line at stop lights in town and I can get to 80 quick enough to get into freeway traffic. Granted the tow drops to 2,000 lbs but we are light travelers anyway and it still pulls the aluminum boat to the lake. It will also pull my motorcycle if I really need to charge up a mountain side:Wow1:

For a new, all round vehicle, dollar for dollar I don't think you can beat a Trailhawk......just say'n :coffeedrink:

Especially if you have just one vehicle.

But, besides, my E150 is getting some overlanding treatment and camperized and yes it's a 2WD, I'm sure either one can make it to the Arctic Ocean or to Cape Horn:smiley_drive:

Last edited:

Whaler

Adventurer
The only off-road driving I've done in my '14 WK2 limited is in the sand and I didn't think it performed well. The sand terrain mode just seems to slow the application of power to the wheels in order to keep the driver from digging themselves in deeper by spinning the wheels, but it also robs feel from the driver. I found it very difficult to determine how much power was being applied to the wheels, as though the computer and I were each overcompensating for each other, especially when starting from a stop in deep sand and so I turned it off. The front air-dam is so low that it works like a sand scoop when reversing. That said, take this review with a grain of salt (grain of sand?) because I have the stock low profile road tires, which don't air down well and most of you guys have proper tires. I would default to my XJ for anything off-road, but the WK2 is a lot more comfortable so I would prefer that for any long ride with only mild trails or gravel roads.

Last edited:

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
From post #50, I just have to say.......

I disagree, the WK2 is more than capable for an overlanding platform, it seems definitions are lacking as to overlanding, expedition and adventure travels. Overlanding is not rock crawling nor does it require charging up a mountain side. Adventure travels can be accomplished in an old school bus, overlanding has been accomplished in all kinds of vehicles, my old Volvo 145 covered Europe very well, VW's have gone floating over mud holes that sink many 4x4s.

You are driving the conversation to more of "What is Overlanding" which has been discussed ad nauseam.

Focusing back on "why is the WK2 not very popular on this forum" can be summed up in a few points.

* Expensive
* Fiat Chrysler is infamous when it comes to build quality
* Unibody car
* lack of wheel travel
* very little aftermarket support

That being said, Thedonellm has clearly put a lot of thought into his decision and I am sure it will serve him very well in his travels.
I do believe that a Cherokee, Rav4, Pilot, or Forester could handle a lot of North American "overlanding" but it is normal for people to want to be over-prepared. Therefore they purchase and equip rigs that are more capable then they actually need.

MOguy

Explorer
You are driving the conversation to more of "What is Overlanding" which has been discussed ad nauseam.

Focusing back on "why is the WK2 not very popular on this forum" can be summed up in a few points.

* Expensive
* Fiat Chrysler is infamous when it comes to build quality
* Unibody car
* lack of wheel travel
* very little aftermarket support

That being said, Thedonellm has clearly put a lot of thought into his decision and I am sure it will serve him very well in his travels.
I do believe that a Cherokee, Rav4, Pilot, or Forester could handle a lot of North American "overlanding" but it is normal for people to want to be over-prepared. Therefore they purchase and equip rigs that are more capable then they actually need.

I agree /\.

If you want the nice cushy overland vehicle why not get it but don't expect it to every perform well on certain types of terrain, no matter what you do to it. I like comfy and cushy as much as the next person but there is a trade off here.

If the WK2 suits you needs and comfy is what you are looking for get one, but don't expect to turn it into something it isn't.

Last edited:

Jeepinaaron

Adventurer
I agree /\.

If you want the nice cushy overland vehicle why not get it but don't expect it to every perform well on certain types of terrain, no matter what you do to it. I like comfy and cushy as much as the next person but there is a trade off here.

If the WK2 suits you needs and comfy is what you are looking for get one, but don't expect to turn it into something it isn't.

Exactly.

echo7tango

Road tripping, overlanding
I ordered the overland edition, so no air dam and 18” wheels with the offroad pack... just put on 265/60/18 bfg k02, fits perfect and the 10 ply and chip resistance don't self destruct on my high speed gravel roads I travel everyday in Montana... the K02 is a great 10 ply 4 season tire that does not get eaten up by gravel...and it quiet on the Hwy...

I run 32” tires on mine, the biggest that will fit in a stock suspension Quadra-Lift WK2. My tires are the Goodyear Duratracs and I've been happy with those. I hear good things about the BFG KO2 too. My wheels are 20”, and the tires are 275-55/20.

V00D0013

I just got a 14 Jeep GC Overland Summit ecodiesel. I loved my rubicon but this is definitely comfy and I like the stuff available. It takes a lot of my brain to mod it. I'm gunna try to make it a cross country off roader

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior