Why don't i see any Thule or Yakima boxes on Overland rigs?

troutbum1

Based upon Byways issues with the Yakima roof box I emailed them to see if they had any other boxes that might work for these same types of roads I drive down to my fly fishing/camping rivers here in Michigan and they said not at this time. Might there be any boxes out there that I could "bolt" to the cross bars on my Highlander, or secure a 2 x 4 (or 6) on the bars and use that to secure a box to? The larger Pelican boxes would be great but I'd hate to drill a few holes in an expensive box. Also, the Yakima/Thule etc. are streamlined for travel and I couldn't locate anything online that might fit the bill. It would have to be lockable as I'd be tossing in lightweight camping items along with boots & waders.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
https://www.yakima.com/showcase-20 I’m looking at a showcase 20, anyone have one?

How do you all store them when not in use?

Mine is just leaning against the wall in my warehouse. It's a PITA to put anywhere but the perfect place for the tent, chairs, and stuff like that. I have the largest Thule box. It's long enough that I can put 7ft fishing rods inside which is really nice.

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpeg
    IMG_0111.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 73

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I have never had a single problem with leaking in thousands of miles. Be warned though. The keys are extremely fragile. I broke one off in the lock while moving it around.

Also, if you put a decent amount of weight in it it has a tendency to slide a little side to side on the round bars if that's what you have.

Explorerinil

Observer
I have never had a single problem with leaking in thousands of miles. Be warned though. The keys are extremely fragile. I broke one off in the lock while moving it around.

Also, if you put a decent amount of weight in it it has a tendency to slide a little side to side on the round bars if that's what you have.
Thanks for the advice, I’ll be careful with the keys. I have yakama jet stream bars, they are not round. I can se how it can move with round bars.

Explorerinil

Observer
For anyone interested, I just drove through a downpour, to the point you can barely see one foot in front of your vehicle, everything in the yakama box was bone dry. So far I’m impressed with it, we will see how it holds up as it seams flimsy.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
For anyone interested, I just drove through a downpour, to the point you can barely see one foot in front of your vehicle, everything in the yakama box was bone dry. So far I’m impressed with it, we will see how it holds up as it seams flimsy.

I thought so too when I first got mine. It's held up fine. There's nothing to stiffen it when open so it feels more delicate than it is.

patoz

Expedition Leader

This is a Yakima 'Space Case', which I purchased in the mid 80's sometime for about $350.00. It has been on five different trucks, and is on the F250 you see in the picture below right now. I have used it on hundreds of camping trips and it has never allowed a drop of rain to enter it. The only maintenance I've had to do it other than compounding and waxing it, is replace the two pneumatic shocks that hold the top up when it's open, and replace the foam seal around its perimeter. I just used some generic weather stripping and it worked fine.

The Space Case is where I always put all of my soft items like sleeping bags, pillows, tents, tarps, and even clothes bags, which are generally bulky items that take up a lot of space and are things you definitely don't want to get wet or dirty. Then all the hardware, i.e., coolers, food, chairs, stoves, etc. go below in the bed.

patoz

Expedition Leader

If your case is sliding from side to side, then you need to tighten up the thumb nuts on the u-bolts that attach it to the round bars. If they aren't pretty tight to start with, they will loosed up on their own due to road vibration. Another trick is to put a couple of wraps of Friction or electrical tape around the bars right where the u-bolts go, so the u-bolts will have something to 'bite' into and stay in place.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
If your case is sliding from side to side, then you need to tighten up the thumb nuts on the u-bolts that attach it to the round bars. If they aren't pretty tight to start with, they will loosed up on their own due to road vibration. Another trick is to put a couple of wraps of Friction or electrical tape around the bars right where the u-bolts go, so the u-bolts will have something to 'bite' into and stay in place.

You must not own one of these or own a much older model. There are integral camover clamps that are very difficult to get tight without feeling like you are going to break something. In addition since the clamps are universal to use on aero bars they get very little purchase on the round bars.

patoz

Expedition Leader
You must not own one of these or own a much older model. There are integral camover clamps that are very difficult to get tight without feeling like you are going to break something. In addition since the clamps are universal to use on aero bars they get very little purchase on the round bars.

No, I don't own one like that long box, just the 80's model short box you see in the picture I posted. Apparently, Yakima has gone to a newer clamping system. What I have is just a set of u-bolts that go around the round bars and up through the bottom of the box. Then a steel backing plate goes on, and finally two large wing nut style thumb nuts secure it all in place.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
No, I don't own one like that long box, just the 80's model short box you see in the picture I posted. Apparently, Yakima has gone to a newer clamping system. What I have is just a set of u-bolts that go around the round bars and up through the bottom of the box. Then a steel backing plate goes on, and finally two large wing nut style thumb nuts secure it all in place.
Yea that would work better but the new design comes on and off in a couple of minutes easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles