Why SO many used late model RAM 2500s available?

gatorgrizz27

My friend just returned his 2018 Ram eco diesel. This thing was more in the shop than on the road. What got him really upset was the fact that emission system was not covered under warranty. He paid thousands to clear codes...

Last I checked, emissions related equipment is required by the EPA to be warrantied to 80k miles. He could have been charged for diagnostics I suppose, but if he paid for repairs I’d be going in and asking for a refund.

gatorgrizz27

Repos and people walking away. Checked with Manheim auto actions and they are overwhelmed with higher end vehicles people let go due to the economy.

That’s been inevitable even without this Covid garbage. People rolling negative equity into loans, financing them for 8 years and still having $1,000/mo payments. They are now also likely to have repair costs that exceed the value of the vehicle down the line.

What are most people going to do when they owe $35k on a truck that’s worth $22k and needs a new engine to the tune of $17k?

gatorgrizz27

I had been surprised that RAM’s seem to cost the same as everything else on the used market now, even ~10 year old ones. They used to be known as the “value” option. I’ve never owned a FCA product for a variety of reasons, but some of the AEV Prospector components made me look into them. Not much in the way of what I’d consider good deals to be found.

Darwin

Explorer
I had been surprised that RAM’s seem to cost the same as everything else on the used market now, even ~10 year old ones. They used to be known as the “value” option. I’ve never owned a FCA product for a variety of reasons, but some of the AEV Prospector components made me look into them. Not much in the way of what I’d consider good deals to be found.
Depends on if you are talking about a FCA product that includes the Cummins motor or not. The engine is what holds the resale value on them from what I have seen.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
That’s been inevitable even without this Covid garbage. People rolling negative equity into loans, financing them for 8 years and still having $1,000/mo payments. They are now also likely to have repair costs that exceed the value of the vehicle down the line.

What are most people going to do when they owe $35k on a truck that’s worth $22k and needs a new engine to the tune of $17k?
Exactly. My wife and I commented on so many people not learning anything from the Recession. Back to buying things they want but not need. No savings. Everything on time. It was inevitable that the economy would slow down but nobody saw the CCP virus coming. We can all hope that the Chinese worldwide reparations emerge magically in our bank accounts as they have our routing numbers stored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior