Why we buy Toyotas

ssc45

Observer
Hey Fred,
Not only is that funny, but it's true. I have a confession, I made a mistake and bought a heep... I mean jeep. I only made the mistake once. 1997, brand new and as I was driving it home from the dealer it died-- and that was the highlight. It went downhill from there. I think it was wired by a baboon. Biggest piece of junk I have ever bought. The wife still talks about it.

Happy holidays to you and the family,

Cheers, Steve

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Hey Fred,
Not only is that funny, but it's true. I have a confession, I made a mistake and bought a heep... I mean jeep. I only made the mistake once. 1997, brand new and as I was driving it home from the dealer it died-- and that was the highlight. It went downhill from there. I think it was wired by a baboon. Biggest piece of junk I have ever bought. The wife still talks about it.

Happy holidays to you and the family,

Cheers, Steve

Hey Steve!

I've actually owned 3 Jeeps. Two were basically horror stories. One was semi-OK. They were all good when they worked :ylsmoke:

Best to you, the Mrs. and the kitty!

amo292

Adventurer
This video is great. It reminded me of the three grand cherokees I have had to tow miles off the beach in the last few years. The very expensive versions just seem to "pop" out of 4wd when in deep sand and there is no way to get the electronics to kick them back in. The only thing worse then the jeeps is our ford work trucks that are junk after 20k miles. Lucky they actually towed the jeeps back!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
haha funny video.

Strange, my brother has a 2000 XJ that has 280k on the odo. Original everything with the exception of normal wear and tear parts.

Bikemobile

Adventurer
I ruined my Jeep on my own. It was a great vehicle before I added exhaust and a lift kit. Maybe I'm just getting old.

ssc45

Observer
This video is great. It reminded me of the three grand cherokees I have had to tow miles off the beach in the last few years. The very expensive versions just seem to "pop" out of 4wd when in deep sand and there is no way to get the electronics to kick them back in. The only thing worse then the jeeps is our ford work trucks that are junk after 20k miles. Lucky they actually towed the jeeps back!

Besides all the electrical problems I had, the final straw was when I was running John Bull. As I was climbing over a large rock at a steep incline, the transfer case "slipped" out of gear into neutral. I went straight back and teetered on my rear bumper. It was a very strange feeling. Thankfully we slammed down on all fours vs rolling over backwards. That was the final straw.

Cheers, Steve

DaJudge

Explorer
Which one was it?
It was a '97 Camry. I bought it new because everyone said "Toyotas never fail"! It was more expensive than any of its competitors and it was the most expensive car to own that I have had. I know it is not a truck/SUV but the statements from the Toyota guys is always..."Toyotas never fail". Which was not my experience. Plus all three of the dealers I had the displeasure of dealing with were XXXhole criminals!

I just can't stomach ever attempting another one, no matter what model.

List of failures:
Head gasket at 30,000
Steering rack at 60,000
The mounts for the struts rattled from day one. Dealer said they couldn't find the problem....until 5,000 miles after the warranty. (they failed again at about 75,000)
Started leaking oil from front of engine at about 80,000. Couldn't be fixed?
Another steering rack at 110,000
Engine completely DONE at 125,000. Burned oil, leaked oil, and had about 9 HP.
The brakes were garbage from day one! I had to manually adjust the rears about once a month (again the dealer told me that there was no issue)
The interior was great though!

I traded it for an '05 Grand Prix which I drove the same amount of time and miles and all I had to replace was one transmission line.
Oh, and I have had my Cherokee ten years and have replaced a window switch and a crank sensor.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I had an 06 KJ CRD which I drove all over for about 120k miles. It was a great ride in the winter, suct in the summer because I had to drive with the heat on full blast to keep it from overheating. Several visits to the dealer yielded no results, including one visit in FL where the service writer asked me who installed the diesel engine for me... lame. A small percentage of these vehicles ran hot and the only viable solution any of us came up with was to trade it in on something else.

Toyota fixed all my Jeep problems, and with FIAT in the drivers seat, I'm not going back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior