Why you should not listen to the manufacturer's 'Filled for life' claim

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Maintenance intervals are a joke. They are put in place for advertising. Every Manufacture plays this game to show cost of ownership, that's it. Manufactures only sell cars, and parts.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I didn't see anything wrong with what the ZF guys are saying.

Clutch grit, moisture, heat, and pressure are all going to wear fluid. I'll change mine out at 50k (accelerated interval because truck is a low mile weekend warrior)

J!m

Guys, guys...

Lifetime oil- when it fails, its lifetime is over.

Very simple.

Same as lifetime warranties- when it breaks, it's lifetime is over and warranty is void.

?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Right, with few exceptions (Allison for example) Its a suckass messy way to change oil & filter.
How would people like engine oilchanges the same ?
A spin on filter would make a lot more sense. I've resisted with stick shifts for so long I've never really thought about why that is with automatics. But then I seem to also remember on domestics you drain the gear lube from the axle by removing the inspection plate. Did it never occur to anyone in Detroit to put in drain plugs?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Well, your supposed to do a visual inspection for corrosion and dirt(from clutch wear). It's only a few extra minutes to do correctly.

The diff covers I'm adding will have fill plugs on them. But I have no interest in a drain hole. It would just add a weak spot. Don't forget how many rocks and logs your diffs plow into. I suppose a drain on the cover is fine, but not on my cast iron (soft) axle housing.

Beware diff covers that have the fill hole way too high. They're usually the same covers with drains like this pos:
images

I'd rather have this, and waste some spill pads:
IMG_7692_0.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Now I'm not a hardcore crawler so I can't honestly say having plugs introduces any weakness I've noticed. But keep in mind I'm driving a Toyota with third members so the drain and fill plugs are part of the axle housing. I guess inspecting LSD clutch (which I don't have anyway) pack wear is an argument for an inspection plate. I probably still prefer the ability to drain and fill gear lube easily, though.

rear_diff.jpg

The plug has a bung welded around it on my truck and while it worn down from rocks it was still fine after 26 years and 300k on my 1991, so it's not something I worry about. But I did change from external hex plugs (like on left) to round one with smooth edge and a socket hex (like on right) to eliminate the slight risk of catching a corner and loosening the plug.

0803_4wd_16_z+toyota_axle_tech+budbuilt_drain_plugs.jpg

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Just a point of view difference. Toyota vs Superduty.

My truck has inches less clearance under the diff, an 2-3 times the weight on it. Oddly, I worry about my shock mounts as well, but they're scratch free, ironically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online