Why you should not listen to the manufacturer's 'Filled for life' claim

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Be careful with extended pans. It'll take longer to warm up in the winter as well. And ground clearance is self explanatory.
If what @Hillbilly Heaven says about them being thermostatically controlled then that could be true but they'll also run cooler in the summer and either way should eventually end up running at the thermostat's rating. Maybe it's possible to have too much cooling where it never completely warms up, I dunno about that. Could be like having too much engine radiator to keep from overheating in the summer while towing and then needing to block air flow in the winter.

Grassland

Gah. Wish I didn't read that about the 6R80. I don't have the factory tow package, and thus no auxiliary transmission cooler. Knowing that heat kills trans, I am kind of regretting adding larger tires, armor, and weight in general to my truck, and also hauling and towing for the last 4 years in work duty, and recently in personal use.
Good to know adding aftermarket cooler isnt a plug and play smart idea.

Gah. Wish I didn't read that about the 6R80. I don't have the factory tow package, and thus no auxiliary transmission cooler. Knowing that heat kills trans, I am kind of regretting adding larger tires, armor, and weight in general to my truck, and also hauling and towing for the last 4 years in work duty, and recently in personal use.
Good to know adding aftermarket cooler isnt a plug and play smart idea.
Check out the complete cooler system by "Power By the Hour"

ultraclyde

Observer
Having just bought an F150 with the 6R80 I find this a very interesting discussion. I'm not planning big lifts or a lot of HEAVY towing but I will be dragging a 4k lb boat around a lot in the summer in the southeastern US. I've got the factory tow pack but I suspect I'll be moving to a larger pan in the future just for insurance.

Good info in here.

EDIT: @Hillbilly Heaven - do you think the extended dipstick is worthwhile, or is it better to just check it from below? Seems like you have the experience on this stuff...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz