Wilco Hitchgate Solo Review

CanadianVikingYYC

Hi all,

This is a timely conversation as I am wanting to add a Hitchgate offset to my GMC 2500HD w/Hallmark Guanella pop-up. I want it to open to the driver side so to not interfere with access to the area under the passenger side mounted awning. I’m not clear from the website as to what accessories can be added to the offset Hitchgate. Ideally I would like to mount the spare, two Jerry cans and a hi-lift jack. I think the hi-lift is possible, but not sure about the Jerry Cans...might only accommodate dual rotopax. Can anyone confirm this? My email to Wilco has gone unanswered.

Thanks!

Thomas

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Hi all,

This is a timely conversation as I am wanting to add a Hitchgate offset to my GMC 2500HD w/Hallmark Guanella pop-up. I want it to open to the driver side so to not interfere with access to the area under the passenger side mounted awning. I’m not clear from the website as to what accessories can be added to the offset Hitchgate. Ideally I would like to mount the spare, two Jerry cans and a hi-lift jack. I think the hi-lift is possible, but not sure about the Jerry Cans...might only accommodate dual rotopax. Can anyone confirm this? My email to Wilco has gone unanswered.

Thanks!

Thomas

It appears only rotopax. I am planning to make up a bracket to add a single scepter can to my Solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darkrider

Adventurer
Well timed for this thread to pop up as i am looking at my options for carrying an over sized spare on my Patriot. I like the fact that it still allows you to tow as well. That has been my biggest concern with tire carriers like this.

B^2

Observer
One of the cool things about being involved with the overland industry is being exposed to a lot of interesting gear. I recently bought a Wilco Hitchgate Solo from Tom at Adventure Ready in Seattle. They are priced reasonably, about $550-$620 depending what options you want.

I've been using it for about a month now, and I am impressed. It doesn't rattle, and it's really solid. I mounted a bike carrier over it, and carried three mountain bikes, and it didn't make a creak.

I decided to get this because on my Tuktoyaktuk trip last year, when I was running taller tires, the spare was too big to carry in its normal spot in the back of the truck, and it became a hassle to pack around it.

I could have bought a custom rear bumper with a swing-away for about three times the price, but since I have a collection of vehicles, this allows me to move it from truck to truck and use it as and where needed, as the hitchgate is universal, it just slides into a trailer hitch receiver.

They also make a high-clearance version, but that one wouldn't allow me to open the tail gate all the way down, that's why I got the standard version, it just clears the tailgate.

The only downside is that the holes for the lugs and the actual lugs it comes with are a bit small. It assumes you are using a steel rim. Mounting my alloys, with the huge lugs and oversized lugnuts Rovers use, meant I needed to drill the holes in the mounting plate a bit bigger, but that's actually a pretty common issue for Rover owners, I've had to do that with my Thule bike carrier on my Defender too.

Anyways, I'm very happy with it so far, and happy to answer any questions anyone might have.View attachment 446009
Tire sits nice and high

View attachment 446010
Solid construction, rattle-free hinges and bushings.

View attachment 446011
Swings all the way around the truck if required. Also has a licence plate relocation option.

View attachment 446012
Simple design.

View attachment 446013
Allows you to still have a class-4 hitch while mounted, so you can still pull your trailer.

View attachment 446014
Universal tire mounting plate.

View attachment 446015
Lots of clearance from the truck, and the ground.

Do you have any pictures with the bikes on it?

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
[/QUOTE] Do you have any pictures with the bikes on it?[/QUOTE]

Not yet, I forgot. I will the next time I mount them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I've been considering one of these for a while and was finally able to look at one in person at Expo West. Just trying to sell the 1078 to free up some funds and then I'll likely get it.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I really wish they made a Driver's-side opening Solo. They make one in the "offset" model, but not the solo. With my van I'm constantly moving from the slider to the rear and back again. Having that tire swung out to the passenger side would really be in the way...

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I really wish they made a Driver's-side opening Solo. They make one in the "offset" model, but not the solo. With my van I'm constantly moving from the slider to the rear and back again. Having that tire swung out to the passenger side would really be in the way...

I guess the thinking is that if it swung the other way it might accidentally swing out into traffic.

rickc

Adventurer
In response to Josh's comments and concerns about carrying two spares, I would very strongly recommend learning how to change a tire off road. I attended a course by Bob Wohler at the BC Overland meeting last year during which he explained how to repair tires including how to remove and refit them to a rim using field tools. This one course was well worth the entire event fee. What this means is that instead of carrying two spare wheels, you can carry just one wheel/tire and a spare tire carcass; less weight.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Great point. We actually don't carry a second spare on long remote trips, but I do carry a full repair kit including an inner tube and a small roll of stainless wire. In a pinch you can stitch up a badly torn sidewall, line it with cardboard or paper where the stitching is to protect from abrasion, and insert a tube in a tubeless tire. You won't want to drive it at speed like that, but it will be enough to limp out of the bush or into the next town.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Does anyone know if Wilco renders backup cameras on Jeep Grand Cherokee totally useless, or is there still some vesibility? The camera is located just under bottom of rear window?
I had to buy a replacement camera for my Tundra, and I found a plug & play one online at Camera Source. Maybe check and see if one is available for your Jeep.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

rickc

Adventurer
My OEM camera is about 8" below the top of the tailgate. With the offset carrier this I see enough to park without any issues. I had to learn where the lines on the ground are with respect to the back side of my rear wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online