Wild tv rig-- all aluminum 1973 ROXOR 4x4 motorhome

ohpyramids

Adventurer
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/4341904013.html

this thing is wild. just found it on my daily craigslist trolling. Looks like no expense was spared. $54,000 to up your street cred

00e0e_baYE6QDS8q2_600x450.jpg

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I don't know, there sure are a bunch of ‘buzz words' not panning out there:
-
“zombi killing”, no zombie killing systems. I guess you could run them over, but then my daughter's Justy could be call zombie killing …..O-wait, Bret Michaels called it that, so it must be true.
-
“made of T6061-T6 tempered aluminum. It is 100% welded” . Hmmm, That must have been one large oven to temper after the welding…or the most critical joints (welded) are not tempered. Of course maybe it is special stuff since it got an extra 'T' in it's designation (sic).
-
(from the video) “made from one solid piece of cast aluminum”. That must have been one heck of an aluminum billet and milling machine !
-
(from the video) “Originally built to transport Generals in wartime” I wonder if it has a NSN number.
-
“Each were assembled by Bradley Fighting Vehicles” Bradley Fighting Vehicle is a vehicle, not a manufacturer. Perhaps they ment the builder of the Bradley Fighting Vehicles... BAE, wait not doing that unil 2005, so maybe United Defense, wait founded 1994, so FMC ? I guess Roxor Inc in Ohio did not know they were part of FMC.
-
I do like it features, with the roof hatch (I guess for AA machine guns for protecting generals or killing zombies), interior layout and it has to be the only RV that had 'crash helmets' as standard equipment (see below)
-
click to enlarge
roxor2.jpg
roxor1.jpg

Racingdad

Adventurer
Emailed the owner. This was just completed and the rig has 200 miles on it since the restoration. 4:88 gears, suspension rebuilt. Added 2 inch lift. You can see more partial episode videos on the web site. No solar, has a Honda generator, dual Optima gel cell, huge 8 burner barbecue off the rear hitch (looks heavy). Roof top 2 person tent accessed thru the escape hatch, although he has a frame for a king bed to go into the rear. No AC installed but comes with a unit in a box if you want to install it. 50 gallon fuel capacity. 5 gallon LP tank, Dometic 3 way Fridge, 2 burner stove, LP heat, 30 gal H20 tank.

The Dodge 3500 chassis may allow a upgrade to a Cummins. Owner spent $70K on the restoration.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
I don't really believe spending 70k on the restore. It was part of the TV show. That money is usually absorbed into the production costs for the show. I know the owner of the shop that built it. They do amazing work, although mostly on custom cars.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Pretty pour job mounting the winch to have all the pull force on the roller as the drum is too high? Makes me question the whole thing!

To me, this build, if done for a tv show, makes the whole thing questionable to build quality. You see so much junk they build, be it cars, bikes or even homes. Cut corners on dumb over the top ideas, combined with general poor workmanship.

Not for me.

eviioiive

Observer
His next project: a 4x4 school bus on m923 5 ton axles....guy was a pain to deal with. Plenty of ideas but not a lot of knowledge

fly12fire

There was Roxor for sale in Sacramento Ca several years ago for $2500. It was set up to be an off road cook house. Since this is the only other Roxor I have ever seen I'm thinking it might be the same one.
Linda S

ClassicGM!

So now for the facts!

I’m the guy who bought the Roxor. I bought it off EBay and not Craigslist. It may have been posted on Craigslist, but I didn’t see it there. I paid over $2500.

The $70k restoration cost was the number Rock My RV shared with me as their cost for the rehab.

It was never a cook-house. It was an RV. It was built on a rediculous chassis with dual Dana 70 axles. The cross beams for the body wer 2”x4” solid aluminum beams. Insane!!!

The restoration company is super top notch. The show used many of their own people to do the restoration and not just the amazing staff at the shop. Why? Who knows. It’s their show and they did what that did. There were some problems with the rehab and the TV producer stepped up and repaired the problems.

Now...after only being driven say 200 miles after the rehab, I sold the rig to a gentleman in Florida.

This guy hired some guy to DRIVE THE RV FROM CALIFORNIA TO FLORIDA!!!

Of course every breakdown was because I was the idiot. ********

I sold the rig because, to me, it was no longer an off road RV but a tailgate-limo for looking cool at some sporting event. 2” shag carpeting and sand just don’t mix. I also told the show we don’t watch tv and they literally killed the use of the interior with a 40” tv in a 18-1/2 foot Motorhome. They covered a window 100%.

So here is the “what happened”. I’m totally satisfied with the TV show producer. It was a fun and challenging experience and I’d do it again.

To the buyer: you own one of the coolest and rarest vehicles on the planet. Please rest assured you got the deal of a lifetime. Recently I witnessed an old Futureliner bus sold at auction for $4.1 million dollars. You I never know what someone will pay for a toy.

So hit me up with any questions you actually want an accurate answer to. I did my very best to describe the rig when I sold it AND I didn’t restore it, the show did, and together we wrote the ad in the auction.

Attachments

• 559C4AC8-71FC-4CE6-B9F9-7E68FEB0F050.jpeg
    559C4AC8-71FC-4CE6-B9F9-7E68FEB0F050.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 176

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles