Wilderness Upgrade for Medical Professionals

dakdoc

Observer
Three cheers for NOLS! My wife and I just finished a 5 day Wilderness Upgrade for Medical Professionals in Salt Lake City and it was awesome. The paramedics and firemen who attended added great real-world experience. The lectures were well planned, the handouts and literature were well prepared, and the field exercise was a blast! If anyone gets a chance to take this course, it will totally be worth your time and money.

Jon

Attachments

• WUMP.jpg
    WUMP.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 15

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
As an ICU RN I also took the WUMP course (in Flagstaff) and it was a huge eye opener and worth every penny.
I am so used to all my tech & help at a large urban hospital that reframing my mind for remote areas was very important.

I am curious what your day jobs are as my class had Dr's, PA's, paramedics and RN's, we each took alot from the class but we also approached everything so differently.

dakdoc

Observer
Our class was a mix just like yours: several physicians, a few mid-level providers, flight paramedics and nurses, and several firefighter/EMTs.

whytebredd

I'm loving the pic. I know you only used it for an example. That was my WUMP class at landmark learning in cullowhee, NC back in Oct 2009.
My class was also a mix with a couple fire medics, a couple doctors, two coast guard medics, some WEMTs there to recert and a majority of my WEMT class.
Good stuff that brings back memories.

Bmpark2

Anybody have experience with Remote Medical and their advanced provider course. I am an ED RN and urban FF/PM looking for advanced wilderness training. Looking at NOLS WUMP vs RMI courses.

whytebredd

I'm familiar with RMI but I've never heard a review of their class although I have looked into it. I can say that WUMP is basically a wilderness first responder course that skips the basic stuff you already know like taking vital signs. It will add to your repertoire the critical thinking and improvisation considerations needed for responding to a wilderness medical scenario but the most advanced skill we learned was a spinal-injury-clearing assessment.
In addition to RMI there are a couple other wilderness ALS classes available but unfortunately I can't say much about them either.
www.awls.org/
www.klingmountainguides.com/wals.html
www.wildernessmedics.com/als.php

I'll ask some guys I know on another forum what they know about these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles