Winch Cable repair

uberhahn

Observer
I need to repair my winch cable end (hook end termination). The eye where the hook rides was damaged. The original termination is factory via an aluminum swage.

I don't want to use the saddle clips (not debating their effectiveness). In my application, they would get hung up inside my bumper.

Other than the end, the 5/16 cable is in good shape.

Has anyone had good results with a hand swage tool? I don't have access to a press and die set.

tarditi

Explorer
I appreciate your frugality, but would recommend a new cable - even if the majority of it is fine. Just my $.02

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
I want to a local wire rope company and they used an industrial press for a new swage and it cost about $10. Where do you live?
Anywhere there is an industrial area with cranes, heavy equipment repair, towing company, - they all do their own repairs and have
the proper tools. My method is just drive up to the business, be polite with the wire rope in hand. Quite amazing the results.
Good luck.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I need to repair my winch cable end (hook end termination). The eye where the hook rides was damaged. The original termination is factory via an aluminum swage.

I don't want to use the saddle clips (not debating their effectiveness). In my application, they would get hung up inside my bumper.

Other than the end, the 5/16 cable is in good shape.

Has anyone had good results with a hand swage tool? I don't have access to a press and die set.

I've used a hand swage tool but only for things that are less critical (limb risers, etc). They work fine.

swage-tool[1].jpg

uberhahn

Observer
I think a new cable is in order. If like to move to Syn, but in MI winters, and only occasional use, I think a replacement is in order. I can use portions of the orig for extension.

Thanks for the collective wisdom.

onetraveller

Adventurer
You should be able to find a take off on Craigslist for pretty cheap. Having said that, splicing steel cable isn't that hard and only takes a few tools. I'd recommend you try it, even if you replace your cable. You can put a new eye in the end of the old one and keep it. The only tools you need are a vise, a couple of steel fids, and some wire cutters to trim off the ends after the splice is complete.

http://www.boat-building.org/learn-skills/index.php/en/metal/splicing-a-steel-wire/

Mike

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I want to a local wire rope company and they used an industrial press for a new swage and it cost about $10. Where do you live?
Anywhere there is an industrial area with cranes, heavy equipment repair, towing company, - they all do their own repairs and have
the proper tools. My method is just drive up to the business, be polite with the wire rope in hand. Quite amazing the results.
Good luck.
^^ this!
If the rest of the rope is in good shape there's no reason to replace the whole rope. Any bulk wire rope dealer or crane company will have the tools to swage the end. Be sure to use a heavy duty thimble.
Alternatively you could use something like this, which is reusable if you have damage again later.
http://www.tecni-cable.co.uk/Products/Stainless-Steel-Swageless-Eye-Fittings
Just be aware that they are specific to the type of wire rope construction so you have to match them to your rope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior