Winch Options

pith helmet

I have a 2022 GMC Sierra work truck that needs a winch ASAP. Working in areas of gumbo mud and red clay, having a reliable way to extract my truck is a must.
I also don’t often really have time to enjoy the adventure of it all as I am only trying to get to places where my actual work begins or to get home…or the beer store, then home.
Just kidding…they don’t sell whiskey at the beer store here.

Manual recovery such as hand winches aren’t ideal. I will be purchasing a Warn 10k winch like I have had on all my trucks in the past (some 9.5’s).
Problem is no one is yet making a winch tray or any other way to mount a winch on this truck. I have a Westin grille guard on order assuming that Westin will make a winch tray to fit it eventually.

I have only ever had permanently mounted winches on a brush guard or tray, but I have seen portable winches used ‘in line’, so to speak, but have had no luck in searching for that process.

In the meantime, what are my options?
I could fabricate a 2” receiver mount for the front but I don’t like that option since it would mean cutting up the fancy front plastic air dam only to replace later. I could also make something else fit, but I don’t want to do that.
Is there a way to use a winch like an out of the box Warn 10k in the middle of the line using he factory recovery points and a snatch block or pulley?

Thanks!

billiebob

Warn makes reciever winches for virtually every application. You will not beat the quality or fit regardless of price.

Just remove the silly plastic bit. No need to cut it.

pith helmet

I am familiar with those receiver mounted carriers. Price isn’t the concern, it’s that they don’t yet make anything for the truck, including a receiver for the front. And I don’t want to make one.

pith helmet

This is what I’m asking about. Unmounted winch attached to truck recovery points via chain. Stored in tool box and could be used front or back.

Attachments

• A61B3719-B557-4A06-9417-AC74E196EBCF.jpeg
    A61B3719-B557-4A06-9417-AC74E196EBCF.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 36

undisider

I have never seen a commercial product that does what you are asking but I made an adapter to attach a receiver mount winch to a shackle to do exactly what you are asking. I got a weld-on shackle mount and welded it to the top of a receiver tube. If I were to do it again I would also put 2 shackle mounts on the sides for extra rigging options. But my recommendation having used that system and receiver mounted winches would be to make a front hitch for the truck.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Just run a normal receiver mounted winch on the rear hitch. How often are you going to want to pull the new truck through the mess you just got yourself into vs back the way you came? You can always add a receiver hitch in the front later if you find a glaring need.

If your truck has tow points onto the front you can portable winch it like you want with trucker chains mounted on the winch. Hook up the chains to the tow hooks hook winch to battery and get at it. Your back won't be too happy but you won't be stuck.
Real Mud tires not all terrains and the use of 4x4 low will keep you from needing the winch most of the time though.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Just run a normal receiver mounted winch on the rear hitch. How often are you going to want to pull the new truck through the mess you just got yourself into vs back the way you came? You can always add a receiver hitch in the front later if you find a glaring need.
If he's going to a work site and gets stuck en route, he'll still have to continue moving forward.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
If he's going to a work site and gets stuck en route, he'll still have to continue moving forward.

Still likely a better plan to pull yourself out backwards and look for another road or a different path.

If you just HAD to get in....turn around and pull yourself in backwards.

This would be a solution that works today without any custom fab. As I mentioned, he can add a front hitch when one becomes available on the market or has time to fabricate one. ?‍♂️

pith helmet

Thanks. Going forward is the way I must go and what the truck is for. I have had good luck for many years giving nice stock trucks heavy offroad use without much harm done. I have had times where a winch on the back would have helped but generally, I need it on the front. I could end up going with a receiver mounted winch with a place to lock it in under the toolbox, but I don't really want to lug around 100lbs in a mudhole, either.

If your truck has tow points onto the front you can portable winch it like you want with trucker chains mounted on the winch. Hook up the chains to the tow hooks hook winch to battery and get at it. Your back won't be too happy but you won't be stuck.
Real Mud tires not all terrains and the use of 4x4 low will keep you from needing the winch most of the time though.

I was thinking that would work. I am going to look at that. I have the stock MTs on it now, but MTs have never really been an option on my work trucks as they don't wear well at 700-800 miles a week with maybe 30-50 offroad. The kind of mud holes I am speaking of usually require 4H and speed.
I have been stuck only 2x in the last 2 years, maybe total of 10 in the last 20, but carrying around a winch is like carrying around a spare tire: indispensable when you suddenly need it.

Still likely a better plan to pull yourself out backwards and look for another road or a different path.
If you just HAD to get in....turn around and pull yourself in backwards.

I really appreciate the thoughtful feedback, but if I am going in it is necessary and the best way in. I have been at this a while and after 30 + years of working off road I couldn't imagine having to pull myself backward through gumbo muck only to then have to turn a 20' truck around a 2nd time in a 10 ft trail.
I would just walk it. But as I age, saving steps is important. Especially since the actual work that follows will involve miles of walking. Also, why I don't want to tote a heavy winch around by hand in a mudhole.

I am likely to fab up a hidden winch mount or wait for the factory stuff to happen. Thanks to all for the input.

1658880123518.jpeg

1658878225152.png

IMG_6391.jpg1658880260604.jpeg
1658878412952.jpeg1658878605661.png

Attachments

• 1658878708794.png
    1658878708794.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

pith helmet

Yep. I know people with 3/4 tons with those on order. It’s my 1/2 ton they don’t have anything for at this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles