Winch Options

pith helmet

Hah! Wow... I had been thinking of this exact rig... I have no front hitch receiver, no bull bumper, no front winch mount... just a recently-purchased, near-disposable! (the price!) X-Bull 10,000lb winch sold with a red synth winch rope... and I mounted it last week on an X-Bull receiver-ready, portable winch tray, much like what Pith has pictured...

So, I was thinkin along the same lines as I lay in bed at night, pondering... and the potential YouTube video title, "Is This Sketchy? or..." hahaha... seriously.

It's all I have until I can source a proper front winch mount for my '16 F150. You can imagine my delight and my astonishment when I first saw Pith's pics of the rig I had envisioned as a last resort if I get stuck, out in my favorite environs: the Mojave desert in the cooler months of the year.

Thanks for taking the time to post your experience, Pith.
Everything in the “chain” there is rated at or above the winch.
I was looking at this as a temp fix til I got a bumper or front hitch, but I think I’ll keep it like this.

I have carried a winch on the front of my trucks for the last million miles and it’s nice to have it out of sight and when I need it. Also nice not to have the extra weight out front.

It will also make it easier to take the winch on adventures in the JKU or use it on someone else’s vehicle.

228B

Observer
solenoids that can jam open and run

One could in the unlikely event you describe yank on the supply cables and pull apart the Anderson connector...

Having said that, I'm not trying to *justify* anything, here. I'm only posting some thoughts.
It is interesting, however, to see now that Peter in Australia has posted his Warn 16.5Ti rig in addition to Pith Helmet's experiment it makes two such concepts put into service.

"Necessity is the Mother of Invention" - someone said that

At first glance, a rig such as has been posted may appear unwise. That point I cannot argue. And until I attempt to test my own setup, I remain open to some experienced edification.

228B

Observer

On second thought I am unsure if Peter is serious, or if this is a safety lesson in disguise... The attachment point on the vehicle looks suspect as does the extreme bend at that point in the cable...

If the photo is instead a representation of an honest attempt, then, I would suggest that rather than one cable from the winch cradle to the vehicle pictured, through a loop eye and back again to the cradle, one might use two attachment points to the vehicle and use two separate cables. This redundancy may prevent the winch from being launched directly in the direction of the pull anchor if the vehicle attachment cable were to fail.

I'm sure that most of us are aware of the recent fatality of the driver of a stuck F250 in Arizona. There were several unsafe details all happening at once in that situation.

Always remain alert for every possible point of failure to actually fail, and take the appropriate precautions.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
The attachment point on the vehicle looks suspect as does the extreme bend at that point in the cable...
Poor policy to pass judgement on something you don't understand?
one might use two attachment points to the vehicle and use two separate cables.
Two cables (of identical length and each sufficiently strong to act alone) to a single attachment point on the vehicle ensure that the winch ALWAYS points exactly towards the pull anchor which in turn ensures that the cable lays up evenly on the winch drum.
The termination of the twin cables can be a single cable which is in turn attached to any object or suitable part of the vehicle.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

228B

Observer
Peter, forgive me. The resolution of the photo, and the metal loop affixed to the vehicle isn't clear. I do understand that we prefer to give cable under tension as large a radius as possible when changing the direction of said cable or rope.

Now then: We learn by asking questions. How does that go? "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from *poor* judgement."

Your point of allowing the suspended winch to more or less self-adjust to center on the load pull is something I had not on the surface considered. Thank you. I am aware of the limitations of angle-of-pull (and that depending on roller fairlead or Hawes fairlead) and am one who does pay attention to the condition of the spool.

billiebob

The best feature of the remote, cable anchored wing is the ability to mount it close to the anchor rather than at the stranded vehicle. Me, I am far too old and infirm to drag a winch over the ground. I'll always pick the convenience of a permanent mount on EACH vehicle. The $2K investment is worth the convenience for me.

But there are definitely better more flexible solutions.

I am also a firm believer in selectable lockers on both axles. I've had Rubicons for almost 20 years and never needed a winch since having the locker option ....

Tire chains are another great solution over a winch, This was a 3 mile 15% hill. solid ice. Lockers and chains and I idled up the 3 miles, zero drama, sipping a coffee.

IMG_0577.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior