Winch wiring

Dangriga

I have the Smittybilt winch hitch so that I can move the winch front or back as needed, and also did not want to block airflow to the 6.0 with a full bumper. My question is, I will run the positive lead to the battery front and back, but do I need to run the negative lead to the battery, or can I just ground to the chassis near the winch front and back? Also, I need a plug that will handle the load of the winch, so I can plug in front or back...I don’t have access to the standard quick connects. Can I adapt 110v or 220v 30amp sockets for this?

john61ct

Adventurer
Personally I would do a full return circuit with big fat wires sized to minimize voltage drop, as per Blue Sea Circuit Wizard, actually measuring the amps draw IRL conditions. Longer distance means fatter cable needed.

Anderson connectors rated say 20% higher than the wire.

Do not use mains connectors for DC ever, very dangerous, illegal in sensible jurisdictions.

jadmt

ignore button user
Warn makes some quick disconnects for winches. On our work vehicles we use Anderson connectors for jumper cables. run out thru the grill so we don't need to pop the hood each time we jump someone. We can start semi's so they should handle a winch.

bas157

The superwinch rear winch wiring kit included a short ground to run a chassis ground. The Warn and Ramsey I think both come with full lengths of wire to return back to the source

john61ct

Adventurer
There is no harm for Negative Return to be connected to Common Chassis ("ground") at multiple locations around the vehicle.

Usually the full-circuit round trip NR wire should be lower resistance, so that will be the path taken anyway.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
The reason for a wire run back to the negative of the battery is that grounds can be problematic with loose, dirty connections and current flowing through places here it's not wanted. I would run a full loop to and from the battery and use Anderson connectors. (I have a hydraulic winch on the front of my truck)

Dangriga

In Belize, we do not have luxury of finding correct connections (Anderson). Ordering international is problematic even outside these troubling times. That is why I am looking for a common connector that would work. I am thinking the highest amperage 100/200 outlet and plug might work. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

john61ct

Adventurer
Would you drive a pickup truck out on the highway with a dozen schoolkids sitting back in the open bed unrestrained?

john61ct

Adventurer
Not really a metaphor.

We all have different levels of aversion to risk.

Not so long ago that was a socially acceptable scenario, still is in some later-developing societies.

Trying to get a handle on where you stand on the spectrum.

john61ct

Adventurer
I don't have a way to truly ensure less knowledgeable people, much less children, will never mess with the stuff I MacGyver.

Especially when I'm no longer around.

BTW I do engage in that behaviour when embedded in communities where it is expected.

Outback Australia they still do too!

Would not with my own kids anymore though. . .

dreadlocks

If you use chassis ground you should add redundant, heavy gauge grounding points to the engine and battery.. first of all your OEM grounding straps were unlikely designed with such high amp loads in mind, secondly you want a good alternate path incase a strap should fail.. I've had an OEM strap fail on me before, and the path to ground the starter began using was the throttle cable.. didnt take many starts for my throttle cable to burn through and leave me in an even worse situation.. a Winch could burn up all sorts of stuff if it has to find an alternate path to take because road salts and rust caused the grounding strap to fail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior