Winter Radiator Covers?

Scott Brady

Founder
Any suggestions on who makes good cold weather radiator covers for the Arctic Expedition? (cardboard does not count ;) ).

The black vinyl ones or similar. Preferably custom for each model.

THanks!

60seriesguy

Adventurer
Scott, I did custom, any good boat shop can make you one from good quality material and use either snaps or (preferred) turn-buckles. This is the first Land Cruiser I have that *doesn't* have a cover, back in Venezuela it was a common mod (for water crossings, obviously)! :)

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Here is the first site that popped up on my search. I've seen big rig drivers use them for years.

My radiator fan is so powerful that it blows air out all around my engine lid seem along the top of the fenders!

"Most of our winter fronts for pickup truck sized vehicles run $29.95 - $39.95 plus installation. We make winter fronts for large construction equipment as well. Call us for pricing on larger vehicles."

http://www.alaskatent.com/products/covers/winter_fronts.htm

winterfront_bigtruck.jpg

winterfront-kentucky.jpg

njtaco

Explorer
60seriesguy said:
Scott, I did custom, any good boat shop can make you one from good quality material and use either snaps or (preferred) turn-buckles. This is the first Land Cruiser I have that *doesn't* have a cover, back in Venezuela it was a common mod (for water crossings, obviously)! :)

When you say turnbuckles, I'm picturing a common-sense fastener in my mind's eye... or do you mean honest-to-goodness turnbuckles, to provide tension or something? :confused:

Common sense fastener: http://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_listing.asp_Q_CatID_E_411_A_SubCatID_E_446_A_ProdID_E_3482

njtaco

Explorer
shawkins said:
NooB question: Why do you need to cover the radiator?

So the air being pulled through the radiator doesn't cool the "coolant" faster than the engine can heat it up. If the engine can't keep up, no heat in cab, ECU thinks the truck is running cold (which it sorta is), and if cold enough, can "freeze" (think of slushy coolant) the radiator, preventing proper cooling if the engine does warm up.

This can be less of a problem with electric fans, but "most" cooling fans on trucks are engine-driven (belt driven).

Someone please correct me if I'm off base here, but this is how I've come to understand it.

Oh, and it keeps the bugs and mud out. ;)

ON EDIT: So there is no confusion... the airflow over the radiator does not make the air any colder, nor does it change the protection the antifreeze offers. -20 is -20 is -20, but the airflow does make it harder for the engine to fight the cold "ambient" temps, and removes heat from "everything" faster than still air.

Last edited:

njtaco

Explorer
Scott- you mentioned black vinyl- would that get brittle in the temperatures you plan to "encounter"? Maybe a lined canvas?

Doin_It

Adventurer
All you have to do is take heavy canvas, cut to width, fasten it under the hood, bring it down over the grill, all the way down over the bumper to just under the diff. If you put 2 eyes in the coners you hook a bundgee on either corner and pull it back to the frame some where. This covers the rad. and the diff. and the oil pan all in one shot. Install when driving in powder or if colder then -35/40C. (To be honest though, with the engines runing hotter these days to increase the burn of fuel and produce less oxides, you are seeing less and less for rad covers, though they are still used.) You then can use it to lie on if you have to get under the truck and don't feel live getting the coveralls wet. We did it all the time in the bush, (and of course it's still done) back when I used to operate a boom truck moving drilling rigs.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

njtaco............

Sounds right to me.

Your truck ECU may even stay in "cold start mode" which would probably run rich and use more fuel if your engine stays too cold.

When Mr. Sucky messed up my Overdrive. He clogged the bypass water tube to the temperature sensors at the firewall. This tricked the temp sensors/ECU into thinking my engine was still cold so it would switch out of overdrive at 60mph on the freeway.

So maybe this could even happen if you have an auto trans....and your engine runs way below normal operating temp......it could pop out of overdrive and not go back in.....again using more fuel.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
njtaco said:
Scott- you mentioned black vinyl- would that get brittle in the temperatures you plan to "encounter"? Maybe a lined canvas?

I picked up a like new YJ bikini top once for a buddy off a coworker, turned out to be the wrong rollbar style.

Anyway, he cut it to shape the grill opening and used velcro to attach it for a trip to Montana and the Badlands in winter. Worked like a charm....and he's been installing it every winter since. Does not seem to have seen worst for wear.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I don't currently have one on my Tacoma as I have never had the need. And this truck has seen a number of -30C storms.

However in the past I have had good success with the version made by LeBra. It remains pliable even at the cold temps and is a decent price.

Pete

S

Scenic WonderRunner

A little late with this Idea.......

But!

Would there be an advantage to Installing an Electric Radiator Fan.....and not only have it on an Automatic Temp. Sensor Switch.....

But install it with an ON/OFF Switch inside the cab.

So on the really cold below -O* days..........you can just Switch OFF the radiator fan!

Maybe if you had a two fan system you could operate each fan with a seperate switch for more cooling adjustment?

Would this work?.......am I just dreaming?

There is an added benefit to this while doing deep water crossings!:088:

something like this.................
19517V2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Scenic WonderRunner said:
...Would there be an advantage to Installing an Electric Radiator Fan...
I like to think so-
My LS1 electric fans conversion.
Quicker warm -ups, less drag, quieter operation, maintains a cooler temperature during the summer, better AC function at slow speed, off for water crossings, on for crawling the desert. I could go on an on.
Mine rarely run during the winter.

njtaco

Explorer
60seriesguy said:
That's exactly what I meant. Sorry, English isn't my native language!

Please don't apologize, I've seen both in use on "Big rigs", so I was curious which you meant.

Thanks for clarifying!

BTW - 4 years of high school spanish, and I can barely hold a conversation! I envy and admire people who speak, and read/write a second language. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior