Winter tires/ steel wheels

hrjaw

Explorer
Hi all
I have an opportunity to purchase a set of steel wheels with Bridgestone blizzak tires for a fair price. These were on a 2010 4Runner and I drive a 2007 4Runner sport. Would there be any figment issues, and do I need different lug Nuts?
Thanks in advance,
Roger

p nut

butter
If they're steel wheels and yours are alloy, then you would need different lug nuts. Ask the seller of he's got them. If not, they're pretty cheap at any tire shop.

Actual fitment of the wheel will not be an issue. All 6-lug.

keezer37

Explorer
I bought Blizzaks for the first time this winter. I'm never running ATs in the winter time again. Fifteen miles an hour, second gear coming down out of Yosemite every work day (I quit). These Blizzaks are nice on hardpack and ice. My knuckles are no longer white. My backend no longer fishtails.

I've got steel wheels also on my '05 Tacoma. I reckon the lugs are all the same.
I use these from Wheelers: http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/wheels-lugs-nuts-25561/black-lug-nuts-12mm-x-1-5/

hrjaw

Explorer
Thanks keeper. I have always used snow tires on he cars, but never on the suv's. I have michelin all season tires on there now. Not so great in the heavy stuff.

libarata

Expedition Leader
This is the first winter I have had AS tires ever. Previous I has AW(looked like babt AT). I can NOT save money quick enough to ditch these mother lobing stinking worthless wastes of rubber! The good thing, Is that winters here suck so much, I have no real need for anything special but a week out of the year.

cthonia

just to clarify. the cone lugnuts (used factory with oe steel wheels) will work with any generic winter steel wheel or oe steel wheel. the style with the flange/washer for factory aluminium wheels will not work.
any tire store/dealer/etc should be able to get you a suitable lugnut

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
jus as a random note.....

The blizzak is a great tire but it loses a lot of its grip even with 50 percent of the tread left. the rubber compound is great for a few years but then wears down.
lots of threads on it on the web
lot of people selling them with good tread becasue of this.
better then an AT in the snow ? yep. Just realize if its a used blizzak you are really just buying the rims.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Check the end of the lugnuts. On Dad's '98 4runner, it has the aluminum wheels and shank-style lug nuts but the nuts also have acorn-faces on them for the steel spare wheel. It's possible that your lugnuts will also work for steel wheels, especially if your spare is steel. They look a little funny used that way (they stick out pretty far) but they function properly.

vicali

Adventurer
We've had steel Fj wheels and blizzaks for three years now- they are awesome no-worry tires for winter conditions.

rexwang

Observer
Check the end of the lugnuts. On Dad's '98 4runner, it has the aluminum wheels and shank-style lug nuts but the nuts also have acorn-faces on them for the steel spare wheel. It's possible that your lugnuts will also work for steel wheels, especially if your spare is steel. They look a little funny used that way (they stick out pretty far) but they function properly.

my tundra came with alloys but with a steel spare. i have "combo" lugnuts. if i remember correctly, toyota's shank style logs are all "combos"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior