Wireless trailer brakes.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Does anyone have any experience with this wireless trailer brake system?

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90250.html

Tekonsha Brake Controller - 90250
Proportional brake controller operates via radio frequency for simple transfer between multiple cars or trucks. Includes automatic-leveling sensor, boost feature, portable remote and continuous diagnostics. Compatible with multiplex wiring systems.

Features:

• Brake controller activates trailer brakes in proportion to your vehicle's braking action
    • Automatically adjusts trailer's braking based on deceleration of tow vehicle
    • Activates immediately - no pausing like with time-delayed brake controllers
  • Wireless system is perfect for shared trailers and business fleets
    • Remote control lets you operate trailer-mounted power module from cab of any vehicle
  • Automatic-leveling ability - internal sensor detects deceleration even if controller is not mounted flat
    • Position within ± 5 degrees of level in the horizontal plane
  • 3 Boost levels let you adjust initial braking power and aggressiveness
  • Continuous diagnostic check alerts you to any potential problems
  • Integrated safeguards protect your vehicle and trailer
    • Minimizes drain on car battery when not in use
    • Prevents trailer brakes from overheating by reducing power output to them during prolonged stops
  • Digital display on remote is easy to read
  • Manual override button is built into remote
  • No hardwiring necessary for installation
    • 7-Pole connector (sold separately) on trailer plugs into 7-way socket on rear of power module
    • Wire lead on power module plugs into tow vehicle's 7-way connector
      • Connector on your vehicle must have an active 12V (hot) lead
    • Remote control plugs into standard 12V accessory outlet in cab
  • Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems

Specs:

• Application: trailers with up to 3 axles (6 brake assemblies)
  • Power module dimensions: 10-3/4" long x 4-3/8" wide x 4" tall
  • 7-Way cord length: 8'
  • Measurement of horizontal mounting holes from center to center: 9-7/8"
  • Measurement of vertical mounting holes from center to center: 2"
  • Frequency: 3.2 GHz
  • Mounting: above or on the side of your trailer's frame rail, within ± 5 degrees of level in the horizontal plane
  • Warranty
    • Power module: 15-year limited
    • Power lead: 1-year limited
    • Remote: 5-year limited

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Interesting....good question due to your possible terrain use. I just put brakes and a Tekonsha controller (hardwired) on my trailer and love it. Makes all the difference in the world. Wireless would be interesting due all the possible interference and bleed over from all sorts of RF noise. Heck, I can't drive through a town without my wireless backup camera monitor picking up someone's baby cam, nanny cam or security system camera.

ccc_

I've been using this controller for at least 5 years and have had no problems other than the initial syncing

my volvo didn't really have a good place to mount the controller and half a dozen hitch people freaked when I asked if a regular controller could be installed
luckily a guy with a cayenne suggested this and I found one at a local uhaul for a couple hundred less than average store price

It took about twenty minutes to install and has worked on my travel trailer ever since

good luck

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
So far , I've used it once taking the trailer to the fabricator. The controller synced up without an issue. It was about a 20 minute drive and I still could not get the controller to settle on a good setting. It was mostly highway so it was not the best test area.

When I get a shot at another test drive I'll report back .

windtraveler

Observer
I just helped a friend set up her Curt wireless controller. It was simple and easy. Works great. Cost $200. Plug, sync, and play. Download an app and control it from there. This will be the way I go next time I need a brake controller526589

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I looked at than one but the where my plug is on my car it would get beat up with rocks, gravel etc.

windtraveler

Observer
This from the woman that I sold my trailer to:

First overnight in the Gorge done and having fun. Lots of lessons but one to share...don’t buy the Echo Break Controller for your truck. Was leaving yesterday and got a msg on the App there was a hardware fault. Pulled over and there was smoke pouring out of it! A few hours delay at the auto shop and a very nice man installed a hardwired device. Technology is great when it works!! ?. I called the place you bought it and he will happily refund me when I send it back. Hope your trip went well and all is good. All the best, Jackie

highdesertranger

Adventurer
what exactly is wireless on these? I mean where do the brakes get power from? the power that activate the brakes can't be wireless. highdesertranger

dreadlocks

a guy was just complaining about one of those on another forum I frequent, he said he hit his flashers on the interstate because traffic had stopped, and and it immediately started applying brakes everytime flashers went off.. lol, since its wired in between the trailer plug its not using an actual brake pedal signal and it has no way to tell your hitting the pedal other than the lights coming on.

Its wireless in the sense that you have to use bluetooth app on your phone to tune/test it, because there's no control unit up front.. also means you cant activate your trailer brakes independently with no warning like to correct sway or if your sliding down gravel.. they would be entirely inadequate for any trail towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles