WJ lift question...

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Since I apparently cannot sell my 2" bb for my WJ....what mods do I need t make if I'm going to add these 2" coil spacers to my current 4" Iron Rock lift?

Fergie

Expedition Leader
ringin10 said:
Since I apparently cannot sell my 2" bb for my WJ....what mods do I need t make if I'm going to add these 2" coil spacers to my current 4" Iron Rock lift?

Longer front LCAs, possibly adjustable for fine tuning.

Longer front UCAs. This is not a given, you'll need to check your front pinion angle once the pucks are in to determine if you will need adjustable UCAs.

Longer brake lines

Steering upgrades. I don't know if the set-up is a Y, T, inverted...whatever...something to look in to.

Longer rear LCAs, again, possible adjustable.

Custon triangulated upper CA, or just buy one of the A-arm spacers that is available.

Longer brake lines.

Slip Yoke Eliminator- Is this even available for your T-case?

I would start by looking at 6" kits that are available for the WJ, and seeing what all you need to piece together to get a complete kit, just my thought though.

Also, is losing out on $30 worth of lift pucks worth an extra $600(s.w.a.g.) of equipment and less reliability/drivability?

How many DSs are you going to puke with 6" as oppossed to 4"?

Ranger Steve

Adventurer
pretty much what the person above me said...id go with all 8 adj. arms or even their long arms up front...break lines...slip yoke eliminator possibly depending cuz all wj's are different as are xj's and zj's...longer shocks...basically with the money youd spend to get everything for 6" of lift youd be better going with their 6.5" long arm kit and selling everything you have now but if i was you idk how long you had this lift but id keep wheeling it and see if you even need to go higher plus you can become a better driver then go bigger later

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Once I go with the double cardon ds for the front...there'll be more more puking of driveshafts! :sombrero:

It was just a thought....seriously...if the extra 2" is going to mean that much extra work & money...I won't even bother.

Tanto

Adventurer
I wouldn't do 6" with a SA kit. The ride would be incredibly choppy and put way too much stress on your stock arm connections. Most people go to a LA setup when they get over 4". However, I have seen guys put 6" under a WJ or ZJ on SAs.

Then you need to work on steering and drive line issues too...

Ranger Steve

Adventurer
Tanto said:
I wouldn't do 6" with a SA kit. The ride would be incredibly choppy and put way too much stress on your stock arm connections. Most people go to a LA setup when they get over 4". However, I have seen guys put 6" under a WJ or ZJ on SAs.

Then you need to work on steering and drive line issues too...

i know a guy with a zj at 6.5" on short arms and 35's and when flexed he can drop his tire under the rocker. sure the ride would be better with L.A. but then you gotta pony up another 1200-1700 or sumtin like that depending on company

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Wow....how about I keep the 2" BB kit for sale then? :D

I'm really not in the mood for all that wrenching and loss of $$$$$

Fergie

Expedition Leader
ringin10 said:

I would say that is a good idea.

Unless you need to clear some big tires for rock crawling, or need to impress some local chicas at the mall, I'd skip that big a lift....period.

jagular7

Adventurer
ringin10 said:

Exactly. Great choice.

Living in CA, where did you post the listing and pics? There are a lot of Jeep clubs and WJ/ZJ forums that I would think you get sell them from. Many people wouldn't trust someone just signing up and selling but you never know. Have you check in Pirate4x4? Local CL, local Jeep clubs.

Since a pic is a thousand words, many poly spacers can be mod'd to work in other applications. I've mod'd a set for a TJ to work with my XL7 in the rear. Had to drill a bigger center hole.

Lastly, you can save them for your local 4wd Xmas party for gag gifts. Just give 1 so they would have to buy the other to have a matching pair.

madizell

Explorer
I would not add spacers to a manufactured lift kit unless you are really good at dialing suspension parameters. You will be changing caster, camber, Ackerman angle and pinion angle, and your kit may or may not be adjustable enough to accommodate the changes. 6 inches of lift is a lot of lift and requires engineering to accomplish safely, especially with a Uni-body vehicle. If you really need to have a taller truck, find a taller kit.

Tanto

Adventurer
The Clayton LA kit is the way to go if you decide to do anything over 6 inches (actually the way to go generally if you have the coin). It will accommodate up to 8 inches although big lift is not my style, most people who do this get there by adding spacers on top of 6 inch coils. I think somewhere around 4-5.5 inches is just about right for the WJ.

Link: Clayton Hard Arm Lift

Fergie

Expedition Leader
madizell said:
I would not add spacers to a manufactured lift kit unless you are really good at dialing suspension parameters. You will be changing caster, camber, Ackerman angle and pinion angle, and your kit may or may not be adjustable enough to accommodate the changes. 6 inches of lift is a lot of lift and requires engineering to accomplish safely, especially with a Uni-body vehicle. If you really need to have a taller truck, find a taller kit.

I'd change your choice of the work "kit" to "system".

All too often, kits do not address the issues you have stated, and in fact, you need several "kits" to form a marginal "system". Rarely do proprietary products function complementary to other stand alone products.

Pucks on coils are plenty good for 85% of the folks out there, and there is nothing wrong, per se, with what he is suggesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles